Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: How do you feel about people getting married young?

Thanks
    DL/UL
    8/0
    Mentioned
    6 times
    Time Online
    4d 22h 18m
    Avg. Time Online
    2m
    I'm just nearly 22 and the amount of friends/acquaintances getting married is pretty frightening. I've just got a cat and that already feels like a hell of a lot of commitment...

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    23/0
    Mentioned
    13 times
    Time Online
    18d 14h 47m
    Avg. Time Online
    11m
    im 19 atm and ive been dating my boyfriend for 2+ years and while i see myself marrying him, its definitely not anytime soon. i cant even imagine myself committing so much to one person before ive even established my life and gotten things going. we're both at uni too, which emphasizes just how ill prepared we are for the world.
    this makes me wonder if people feel the same about children as many do about young marriages. there are way more people from my graduating class pregnant or with children now and we've only been out of high school for two years, yet it seems to be less frowned upon than marrying young. in my eyes, theyre more so equals.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    37/0
    Mentioned
    15 times
    Time Online
    5d 8h 3m
    Avg. Time Online
    2m
    Based on my experiences, I tend to look unfavorably towards people who marry young. It works for some people but those that I've seen, nope.
    Last edited by salsadog; 02-03-2018 at 08:23 PM.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    34/0
    Mentioned
    315 times
    Time Online
    49d 2h 15m
    Avg. Time Online
    16m
    They are still kids at 18. When you are 25+ may even older than that 28+ you will understand that difference in thought process. But at 17, 18, 19 20...no. Just older children in taller pants. No where near the maturity required of a married couple. Sorrynotsorry

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Sci_Girl For This Useful Post:

cloudxcrash (01-28-2018)

Pronouns
    She/Her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    164/0
    Mentioned
    166 times
    Time Online
    59d 16h 23m
    Avg. Time Online
    36m
    Honestly I don't care, I have no reason to judge others actions. The only thing I disapprove of is if either party isn't legally an adult. (I have an American mindset, so adult is 18 legally to me)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Hall For This Useful Post:

motherfucker (01-25-2018)

Pronouns
    it
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    79/1
    Mentioned
    39 times
    Time Online
    16d 12h 40m
    Avg. Time Online
    7m
    I thinks its silly
    Marriage should be a life time commitment. 16/18 is too young to marry in my opinion
    I had a school friend that got married at 16 and shes still with her partner now 12yrs later
    But then I have other friends which married at 18 and quickly lead to divorce :/

Thanks
    DL/UL
    20/0
    Mentioned
    107 times
    Time Online
    26d 16h N/A
    Avg. Time Online
    10m
    i've seen a few of my friends get married or engaged very soon out of high school.
    to me, it depends on how long the relationship is and how well they know each other. it depends on their maturity and if they are ready to get married.

on the other hand, as someone who married young and was divorced, it's a big risk. young couples need time to get to know each other. i was married too quickly to really get to know him, and vice versa. i'd say as long as the couple is truly happy, and truly knows each other well enough to spend the rest of their lives together, there's no problem with it.
    just don't marry a stranger.

Pronouns
    he/him
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    39/0
    Mentioned
    19 times
    Time Online
    17d 4h 42m
    Avg. Time Online
    6m
    Having personally gotten engaged young, I definitely have to say that regardless of age, marriage or engagement aren't to be rushed.

However, some people get married after a week, a few months, a year, and make it last their whole lives. I guess I would say they have to be really willing to communicate, compromise, and work together through hardship and stress which is much easier said than done. Lack of any of these or at least the drive to attempt, is a decently sure fire relationship killer, from what I've seen.

Unfortunately, I've seen that happen to most of my friends who got married/engaged young. Usually out of obligation (usually pregnancy) or because they thought marriage was the only way they could maintain a relationship.

Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    129 times
    Time Online
    13d 21h 7m
    Avg. Time Online
    6m
    I would not get married young - phew, I made it! I would want to date the person for at least 7 - 10 years before deciding if I wanted to marry them. Plus, I'd like to travel with them and do other things before settling down, 'cos I feel like after getting married I'd want babies, LOL. Also, would not marry until I was financially stable and more mature - I'm 25 now and have changed so much. I still got growing up to do.

People change a lot; they grow together or grow apart. I want to make sure that I definitely see a future with my S.O. and have the same goals/aspirations.

I do know a couple who have been dating for 10 years and got married this past October (started dating at 16 years old). After 3 months of marriage, the girl changed her mind and wants a divorce. People do change a lot in that span of time and I don't know how she just realized it 10 years later.. that's why I want to be 100% certain before making such a big decision.

I feel like nowadays people are like "o, I could always just get a divorce if it doesn't work out". Kinda sucks.
    Last edited by Teal; 02-11-2018 at 12:22 PM.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    52/0
    Mentioned
    Never
    Time Online
    13h 10m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    I personally think it's super weird. You hardly know who you are at that stage in your life, how can you devote yourself to someone else? I was worrying about student loans and how I was going to feed myself and pay rent. I can't imagine having to take care of the needs of someone else too. People should slow down and enjoy life before making a decision like that. Imagine if divorce was illegal and you had to live with your choice the rest of your life? Divorce rates in the USA are extremely high.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to demitaku For This Useful Post:

Rosa (05-15-2018)