Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Plastic Surgeries - Whats your oppinion?

Thanks
    DL/UL
    5/0
    Mentioned
    44 times
    Time Online
    20d 5h 38m
    Avg. Time Online
    10m
    Not a popular opinion; but I agree with the Bible's take; in which you shall not modify God's work.
    (Which is why I do not have tattoos, but wish I hadn't gotten my piercings (2 lobes, 1 cuff, 1 bellybutton) that I don't wear anything in anymore.

Do I judge others? Nope; but I disagree with their choices, which is my prerogative.
    And I can still respect/like/love someone whether I agree with them or not.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Maelstra For This Useful Post:

|2eap (05-05-2017),Rue (05-06-2017),sem1994 (05-05-2017),sorahloveless (05-06-2017)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    75/0
    Mentioned
    822 times
    Time Online
    111d 11h 4m
    Avg. Time Online
    40m
    Quote Originally Posted by Maelstra View Post
    Do I judge others? Nope; but I disagree with their choices, which is my prerogative.
    And I can still respect/like/love someone whether I agree with them or not.
    well said.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to |2eap For This Useful Post:

Maelstra (05-05-2017)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    110/0
    Mentioned
    65 times
    Time Online
    35d 5h 27m
    Avg. Time Online
    12m
    Quote Originally Posted by Foxglove View Post
    I'd probably never get it for myself, BUT I'm all for it if it'll really help the person look and feel better.

Looks are incredibly important and influence practically all aspects of your life where you need to present yourself. There's just been so much research done to back this up, and a lot of attention has been drawn to the issue via the news/other media lately.
    - For example, it's been found that looks influence the likelihood of an employer hiring you, just as employers have been found to judge based on whether your name sounds "ethnic" or not.
    - Looks have also been found to influence the salary that you earn as well as how high you can advance in your job.
    - Heck, looks even determine whether people want to sit next to you in a classroom or public place (actual research finding lol).

If getting plastic surgery makes you feel better about yourself AND makes others feel better about you at first glance, then why not?

Here's a Forbes article that references all the relevant research findings that it describes: (you need an account to see links)

Some more:
    (you need an account to see links)

And it's pretty easy to find more sources from just Google searching something like "appearance employer decisions" or something along those lines.
    this.

i had a plastic surgery 4 months ago, otoplasty, my ears were way too far from the head, it's something that you need to do as a kid (like to avoid bullying and some other shit during your school phase) but i really never cared about what other people said about me, neither now. i just did it because i thought i could feel better with myself, was it worth it? yes, it totally was, my appearence changed completely, the post-operatory wasn't that long, just like 1 month with pills and something on the head to avoid infections or friction.
    the only incovenient was the price maybe, it cost around 4k USD, but well, i think the price worths it too.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chili For This Useful Post:

|2eap (05-05-2017),sorahloveless (05-06-2017)

Pronouns
    she/her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    3/0
    Mentioned
    94 times
    Time Online
    127d 13h 57m
    Avg. Time Online
    49m
    I think it's totally fair if one person is completely against purely cosmetic surgery (it is still surgery and does come with risks), and if there are more downsides than upsides to you, then I agree that plastic surgery is probably not for you. In many cases, getting plastic surgery or not is a completely personal decision, and I agree that whatever my (or anybody's) opinion is (except for perhaps a trained plastic surgeon's), it shouldn't affect whether anyone decides to go through with the procedure they've been thinking of or not.

Also I'm not sure if it was clear from my original post, but by no means do I think people HAVE to get plastic surgery to forward their career! And I wouldn't ever just encourage someone to get plastic surgery either. It's more that, if someone were to decide that they wanted to get something done, I wouldn't judge them negatively for it. I was just offering a perspective for why some people get procedures done, and I can understand and sympathize with where they're coming from.

I recently read a fairly personal article about the news reporter Julie Chen and her perspective on getting plastic surgery to forward her career. (I just mention this perspective a lot because I know a lot of people in Asia get the surgery in large part because it's believed that it'll improve your prospects for success).

At the end of the day, my perspective is that I'm all for whatever helps people feel the most confident about themselves and the most well-equipped to realize their full potential.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Foxglove For This Useful Post:

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    64/0
    Mentioned
    942 times
    Time Online
    291d 16h 10m
    Avg. Time Online
    1h 55m
    If someone really wants it and is willing to pay for it, I don't mind, though I personally wouldn't get it. I think it's better for that person to be happy with who they are then to constantly be hating their one "flaw", which, if they want to get plastic surgery to correct it, must be a big one in their eyes.
    i love luna

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Aura For This Useful Post:

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    27/0
    Mentioned
    28 times
    Time Online
    22d 40m
    Avg. Time Online
    10m
    Quote Originally Posted by Foxglove View Post
    - For example, it's been found that looks influence the likelihood of an employer hiring you, just as employers have been found to judge based on whether your name sounds "ethnic" or not.
    - Looks have also been found to influence the salary that you earn as well as how high you can advance in your job.
    I was reading a book I checked out at the library a couple weeks ago, Dataclysm by Christian Rudder (super interesting book, it was fun to read if you love data about human behavior/attitudes), that mentioned and charted this effect. It looks like this:

No one should have to mutilate their bodies to succeed at anything that isn't literally a beauty contest, but the world isn't a perfect, rosy place. Most people aren't even consciously aware of their own discriminations, or they are, but it's not something you can just instantly shut off.

You read about people dying during butt lift surgeries. BUTT LIFT surgeries. I mean, c'mon man. Really? On the other hand, this isn't really anything new. People (women especially) have been doing crazy things to their bodies since... forever. Toxic/deadly make-up, crushing foot bones for small feet, you name it. I think plastic surgery will someday be looked at in the same light, but it probably won't be because we've simply matured as a species... we'll simply move on to new standards of beauty, and think "OMG, how barbaric we used to be", while meanwhile shopping for our designer GM babies.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sugar Rush For This Useful Post:

Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    27 times
    Time Online
    10d 9h 7m
    Avg. Time Online
    5m
    Personally I'm not a big fan of surgery when I don't absolutely have to have it done, and it someone feels they need it, like if they have an injury or something, then by all means its perfectly fine, but damn it is expensive though lol.

I don't have any problem with someone feeling better about themselves if they choose to do it.
    Last edited by Goner; 05-05-2017 at 04:46 PM.

Aura loves me ♥

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Goner For This Useful Post:

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    75/0
    Mentioned
    822 times
    Time Online
    111d 11h 4m
    Avg. Time Online
    40m
    Just want to make the note, that during WW2 there were ads about weight gain. And plump was the fad.

It's all fads people, the vision of beauty is to the eyes of the beholder not everyone else. Thats just me.

I can find beauty in fat girls, skinny girls, black girls, white girls, older, younger ( pushing fine line here D: )

So as I am against plastic surgery personally unless its really needed to really improve your health. But am I gonna frown upon you and give you shit for it? No, i'll be your friend but I wouldn't date you. Just because I get the impression that your appearance means more to you, and what everyone else thinks about you means more to you than real life. Which would eventually get me sidelined. I have no tolerance for selfishness. But again its just my views, dont kill me for it. (it's def situational, but i'm a personality and sexyness kind of guy. Not really into beauty, more into the sexyness, ALL chicks can be sexy! amirite?)

16. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to |2eap For This Useful Post:

Maelstra (05-08-2017),Shizuku (05-09-2017),sorahloveless (05-06-2017),Sugar Rush (05-06-2017)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    3/0
    Mentioned
    20 times
    Time Online
    23d 23h 55m
    Avg. Time Online
    9m
    @(you need an account to see links) , 100% agreed on your post.

Besides that. It doesn't matter if you have small boob or a big nose or even if one boobie is smaller then the other. Everybody is beautiful! And I actually think that one smaller boobie is really cute c:

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sem1994 For This Useful Post:

|2eap (05-05-2017),Maelstra (05-08-2017)

Thanks
    DL/UL
    15/0
    Mentioned
    208 times
    Time Online
    98d 13h 33m
    Avg. Time Online
    38m
    theres a lot of documentaries about the subject but one of my favourites is Under The Knife by Louis Theroux if youre interested in the self esteem aspect of it from both a woman and a mans point of view and he interviews a few people who are doing it for different reasons.

i feel plastic surgery is usually centred around women and the beauty standards they need to adhere to. stuff like tummy tucks and nose jobs are usually so they can fit a certain bill, and, like has been mentioned here, be noticed for job interviews and by potential partners. assuming that every person that gets plastic surgery is vain or stupid because they need to bring themselves up to a certain standard that society places [mostly] on women is pretty cruel imo. you cant bring generations upon generations of girls up telling them they need to be skinny and white with a perfect face and certain sized boobs then mock them when they internalise those toxic standards and try to reach them through what you consider Useless Means and Vanity. thats also cruel.

also, because i know some anti-sj freak is gonna hop on my dick all "BUT WHAT ABOUT THE MEN!!!!!" i didnt once say in this post that men dont have standards to adhere to as well, but you cannot, for even one single second, tell me that men have it even close to as hard as women have it when it comes to beauty standards.

anyway, even skinny people have belly fat, rolls, and stretchmarks and the small bump on your belly just above your peepee will never go away due to it being necessary to your survival and the health of your internal organs, and thigh gaps are a sign of severe undernourishment and not a healthy goal. if youre having trouble with body image theres helplines specifically for them on google. im only getting uk-based ones myself considering im uh in the uk, but theyre there. if surgery is where youre going to finally find peace with your body then thats ok and just make sure your surgeon is reputable and does a good job.

ive had 4 beers and i cant fuckin read any of this back to myself becase i dont know how to speak english. rthanks for reading it whatever the fuck it says. something about titties i dont know.

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mindfang For This Useful Post:

Foxglove (05-05-2017),Shizuku (05-09-2017),sorahloveless (05-06-2017)