Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: {|2eap} Proxies/ VPN's and User-Agents! Stay educated with the latest! {|2eap}

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    75/0
    Mentioned
    822 times
    Time Online
    111d 11h 4m
    Avg. Time Online
    40m

{|2eap} Proxies/ VPN's and User-Agents! Stay educated with the latest! {|2eap}

This is a prequel to "Guide to Transfering Your Purchased Goods v2.0" which is tba atm (still writing it)

My goal is to hopefully give you the knowledge and possibly open up a discussion about proxies, VPN's, user-agents, and everything in between. As we all know, JumpStart has been cracking down on hacking/ cheating. More so lately than before, well I have a few theories behind how this was done but we can discuss that another time.
    Them doing so, has forced me to change my methods. -- Since they were so widely used. But another key area which I've noticed is causing problems is your actually your own doing (or the coders) just because these were not issues before.

Since I've started being more conscious about my proxies (and user-agent in code), ban rate is at 0% and I am able to accomplish A LOT more than I was before. Which is great news since my ban rate went from 0% to wtf, why is shit always getting randomly frozen. Hopefully this makes you excited, as this information is crucial!

Lets first start with explaining proxies and VPN's on a dumb'd down scale. This shit gets real complicated and very specific, but for Neopets, the general know how will satisfy.

Proxies & VPN's
    I first want to note that I AM NOT a fan of free/ public proxies. Because you have to do some rigorous scraping and testing of the proxies to ensure your getting quality. Second, if we all use free proxies, from lets say HMA's public proxy list. Then won't there be many using the same proxy to do il-legit things? (seeing that they were tested and only x amount will be high anon and useful) And what i'm trying to stress to you is that JumpStart is not fucking around anymore, these things are logged and noted and will be used against you!
    Third, they aren't dedicated, and may fail unexpectedly. And when free proxies fail, rather than keeping you offline, they just don't work and your real IP is exposed. Which leads me to a story where I almost lost all of my current stock at the time due to free proxies failing and exposing my IP on various accounts. After a few days (since its free and isn't dedicated) I had exposed myself and connected my home IP to all the accounts. Wake up the next day to find myself not only IP banned from Neopets but all my stock was GONE. I had to build from square one again and re-evaluate how much I really knew.

So now that I go that out of the way, you can imagine I wont be discussing free proxies. But the process is like this, you scrape proxies from the internet, you test the proxies, and you select only the best and hope they last (some websites out there offer a service like this for a small fee, but they give you a massive proxy pool).

Just keep in mind, it pays to.. well pay when it comes to proxies.

PROXIES
    Proxies for idiots are basically a middleman between you and the internet. You connect to a different server and then surf the internet, or whatever application you have the proxy connected to, from that server. Since we use these for bots, all of the bots handling is done through the proxy. If you use it for your web browser only your web browser will funnel through this proxy. These are great for getting things done on multiple accounts at the same time under different identities. Most of the time you have to add an extension to the specific browser to get it to work for just that browser. Otherwise most browsers direct you to the OS internet options to route the traffic through there. But keep in mind, this does not mask all of your traffic, it just happens that browser uses your computers default internet settings. (But not all applications do, thus exposing your IP, kind of irrelevant though)
    There are many types of proxy protocols and ways they are setup. You have HTTP, HTTPS, and SOCKS proxies as the most popular. They can be setup as reverse backconnect, backconnect, reverse, transparent... you name it, they got it setup that way. This info is irrelevant unless your coding. But if you connect through sockets you'd want SOCKS proxies, so on so forth. Enough of that.

VPNS
    VPN's masks your identity as well. However the key difference is a VPN masks ALL of your networks traffic. ANYTHING you do on your computer while connected to a VPN is masked. VPN is definitely the way to go if you are novice, but take this with a grain of salt, because your limited to really only one account at a time. Having to clear cache and cookies, change location and then re-login to Neopets on a new account. Basically you can't play or do things on multiple accounts (safely). If you only have one other account, or set of accounts (main and sides) then a VPN is the way to go, it will always ensure your traffic is encrypted for bots, skype, internet browsing etc.

User-Agents and OS's!
    USER-AGENTS
    This factor is over-looked because I don't think it was really ever a factor before. But like 95% of bots use the same user-agent. It's Chrome, and if not updated with the latest downloadable version, the user-agent shows up as an outdated version of chrome. Then, a cluster of people are using the same version of chrome from the same OS doing the same things. It's funny stuff.

To give you an idea of what I mean, check out this (you need an account to see links).
    This url displays all the different User-Agent strings for just CHROME, albeit though some are really outdated versions but you get the gist. There are lots of options!

So why is this important? Well, how does it make sense if you were just access a website from Firefox on a Windows. To all the sudden doing tasks on Neopets from an outdated Chrome browser on iOS/windows? Or going from Safari on a iOS to Chrome on a Windows?

You get what i'm saying here?
    Not to mention the user-agent could be of an outdated model which isn't a factor necessarily, unless its really outdated.

Example of headers sent.
    This is Chrome for Windows 7 OS
    Code:
    Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/41.0.2228.0 Safari/537.36
    This is chrome for Mac OS
    Code:
    Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10_10_1) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/41.0.2227.1 Safari/537.36
    It's different, it's not the same. And people generally update their browsers with newest releases. More so if its been a couple years (when you get a new computer you always download the latest) So anything older than like 2014 is probably not logical, could be safe, but doesn't really make much sense.

How can I fix this?
    Well if your using an open-source bot, you can change it yourself. I don't want to scare completely, IT IS likely for people to have more than one browser, and a Mac/ Windows. It's when your switching it all around repeatedly and alternating between the two that it gets suspicious, when you start throwing in more OS's and user-agents, its just one big cluster-fuck of a mess. And yes, NEOPETS TRACKS THIS. They have a function called get_browser() which does exactly that. It gets your OS, and your browser and all the good stuff.

To recap, you need to be conscious of what browsers and operating system (and version of OS) you use for each account you access and keep it consistent.

Coders, i suggest the module fake-useragent, or something similar, or come up with a simple solution. (you need an account to see links) provides an API to get the latest for each browser and each OS. We should not overlook this.

Mix this in with Proxies and VPN's, if it doesn't add up correctly, its pretty easy to spot a bad fish when its swimming the opposite direction.

Even the option of choosing a Windows OS or Macintosh OS would be a huge difference.

Recommended Services

As for recommendations to Proxies or VPN's there are many to choose from with a variety of prices, all with a slight variation of how they do things. What you want to look for is people who have their own data-centers and are not reselling from someone else's servers. Why? For the best price obviously! And you haven't forgot have you? It pays to pay in the proxy world!
    I've done some rigorous research recently on the subject and I've come across many providers that are suitable. To explain further, there are better services out there, apart from the go to's like HSS and HMA. Each of the latter use a cloud based system. Meaning nothing is dedicated and its split evenly among the users for load balance. Hints why you get slower load times, because you could have some asshole on the other side using up all the bandwidth. Oh and... WE ALL USE HMA AND HSS X_X

The downside to most VPN services, they are cloud based, there is no steady IP for a single location (Ex. HMA LA loc1 may have 10 different IP's for that one location), and it masks your entire computers network activity instead of the single instance/ browser you are working with.

On the contrary, private proxies do not mask your entire computers network and they can be pricey if your working in bulk. That's really about it, they don't limit you to one account but will mask whatever application your working with.

PROXIES
    (you need an account to see links) This service gives you the most proxys for your dollar. However, the IP's given are pretty similar in look. The locations are diverse, but it's still a little weird to me. I've used them before with no problems and were much faster than when using HMA. IP authentication available. HTTP/HTTPS protocol
    (you need an account to see links)
    (you need an account to see links) This place is great. They offer both semi-dedicated and dedicated proxies. The difference is the price and whom uses them. But nothing to sweat, they have their own data-centers so the speed is just as fast. Multiple subnets to choose from. IP authentication available. HTTP/HTTPS protocol

(you need an account to see links) Another great stop for private proxies. They offer both semi-dedicated and dedicated proxies. However their semi-dedicated proxies are only available in larger packages. The IP's are very diverse. A very professional service. IP authentication available. HTTP/HTTPS protocol

(you need an account to see links) These guys are top of the line. Not only do they offer dedicated IP's and have the best overall user experience. They also offer the most features, you can authenticate via user/pass, IP authentication. You can choose which protocol your proxies can handle, and the best part, you can change this whenever you want. switch from HTTP/HTTPS to SOCKS in just a click of a button! They tell you where each location is located, the IP's are 100% unique from each other. They offer a free IP change and many other services, all with a few clicks of the button. I get a huge hard on by these guys because of how professional they are with their service. It's definitely my most recommended.

VPN
    (you need an account to see links) I really like these guys for both their pricing and the options they have available. You can choose from a shared VPN service or a dedicated, private VPN service. All for a really great price! They offer multiple subnets and locations for both the shared and private VPN experience.

(you need an account to see links) They are amazing. All around amazing experience here. Not only do they offer private, shared, backconnect and everything in-between in terms of proxies, they also offer a top of the line VPN service. Their service is only private, meaning you are the only one on your VPN server. You can choose from multiple locations upon setup. Whats great about this is, the IP you receive will remain the same indefinitely until you decide to change it. Most other services refresh and repopulate proxy lists monthly.

Disclaimer: I'm no way claiming that I am a master coder, or a master anything. But I can tell you i've been doing my research lately as I've been expanding my skills with coding and really diving into accomplishing tasks in bulk while staying completely safe since JumpStart has stepped up their game. Part of doing these task required threading and of course along with it comes proxies and VPN's. I was tired of things randomly getting frozen and I finally dived in to figure out why it was happening.
    Last edited by |2eap; 05-03-2017 at 11:29 PM. Reason: Added some coupon secrets

2. The Following 23 Users Say Thank You to |2eap For This Useful Post:

Accelerator (05-05-2017),Andymac106 (05-04-2017),Aura (05-03-2017),Chickenator (05-04-2017),Daviid (05-04-2017),fawn (12-13-2020),Gena (08-30-2018),Greco951 (05-09-2017),I_royalty_I (05-03-2017),Isabella (11-10-2017),j03 (05-04-2017),kafkaontheshore (05-03-2017),Mophead (05-04-2017),munsterpoo (05-03-2017),noreti (08-07-2017),Nyu (05-05-2017),palooza (06-29-2017),Pusheen (05-11-2017),Sentara (05-08-2017),Stocking Anarchy (05-04-2017),Sugar Rush (05-04-2017),Synth Salazzle (06-29-2017),TheButt (05-03-2017)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    1/0
    Mentioned
    6 times
    Time Online
    15d 6h 53m
    Avg. Time Online
    7m
    Excellent resources, thanks for this!
    Je t'aime

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    17/0
    Mentioned
    19 times
    Time Online
    23d 2h 3m
    Avg. Time Online
    7m
    @(you need an account to see links) Great guide! Might be helpful to make a note that when using a proxies/vpns, they can sometimes have DNS leaks. This could lead to things being traced back to your real IP address. Most premium proxies/vpns should not run into this issue but it's still a good idea to check your connection before logging into different accounts. I've been using (you need an account to see links) recently as a quick check to make sure that everything is good to go before I log into accounts I do not want associated to my main IP.
    Last edited by TheButt; 05-03-2017 at 11:50 PM.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to TheButt For This Useful Post:

AyBeCee (07-05-2017)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    30/0
    Mentioned
    1,998 times
    Time Online
    435d 9h 54m
    Avg. Time Online
    2h 29m
    Nice guide man. A lot of good information in there, especially for people who are relatively new. I second the idea of investing in private proxies and such. I've been using the same paid service for years now and it's amazing. Scraping and testing IPs is such a major pain in the ass too, let's face it.

Its remarkable to me just how much we were able to get away with on neo back in the day. Where I work now, I'm able to pull logs that are so damn detailed - it's insane. I'm sure neo had some sort of firewall in place, so Idk why they aren't doing the same. They probably don't have many technical people who can work off the cli. If they did, they'd be freezing so many more people and pulling logs to see exactly what's going on.
    What's my definition of success?
    Creating something no one else can
    Being brave enough to dream big
    Grindin' when you're told to just quit
    Giving more when you got nothin' left

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    75/0
    Mentioned
    822 times
    Time Online
    111d 11h 4m
    Avg. Time Online
    40m
    Quote Originally Posted by TheButt View Post
    @(you need an account to see links) Great guide! Might be helpful to make a note that when using a proxies/vpns, they can sometimes have DNS leaks. This could lead to things being traced back to your real IP address. Most premium proxies/vpns should not run into this issue but it's still a good idea to check your connection before logging into different accounts. I've been using (you need an account to see links) recently as a quick check to make sure that everything is good to go before I log into accounts I do not want associated to my main IP.
    Valid point my sir, I like how they explain the DNS leak. Would you recommend checking first or going ahead and doing the steps they recommend to keep DNS leaks from happening?
    I know in some cases it can be leaked from Flash and others of the like, through boting it's fine but when navigating via browser it's best to use VPN I'd say?

---------- Post added at 05:50 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:42 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by I_royalty_I View Post
    Nice guide man. A lot of good information in there, especially for people who are relatively new. I second the idea of investing in private proxies and such. I've been using the same paid service for years now and it's amazing. Scraping and testing IPs is such a major pain in the ass too, let's face it.

Its remarkable to me just how much we were able to get away with on neo back in the day. Where I work now, I'm able to pull logs that are so damn detailed - it's insane. I'm sure neo had some sort of firewall in place, so Idk why they aren't doing the same. They probably don't have many technical people who can work off the cli. If they did, they'd be freezing so many more people and pulling logs to see exactly what's going on.
    Right? And with all the recent shenanigans TNT has been pulling lately it'd only make sense that they have upgraded, or incorporated their existing firewall from their other games.

It's definitely a pay for proxy if you want quality. I looked into coding my own (basic) server but i can only imagine how many people already use google app proxy's and things of the like for their own personal use. Not that advanced into that yet, but hopefully can construct something of quality in the future. We'll see though haha

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    182/0
    Mentioned
    145 times
    Time Online
    47d 8h 56m
    Avg. Time Online
    23m
    Thank you so much for the guide and great timing on it as well. I just cancelled tunnelbear yesterday because i finally got fed up with the service. Don't want to pay a monthly fee and have to turn off and back on the vpn every 5 page clicks because of time outs ugh. hoping to find another vpn that has a program + a web browser extension.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    75/0
    Mentioned
    822 times
    Time Online
    111d 11h 4m
    Avg. Time Online
    40m
    Quote Originally Posted by Stocking Anarchy View Post
    Thank you so much for the guide and great timing on it as well. I just cancelled tunnelbear yesterday because i finally got fed up with the service. Don't want to pay a monthly fee and have to turn off and back on the vpn every 5 page clicks because of time outs ugh. hoping to find another vpn that has a program + a web browser extension.
    Sounds like a limited bandwidth? Is tunnelbear cloud (shared) based?

EDIT: read the FAQ its because of limited connection bandwidth. They say its unlimited, but all VPN providers slow it down to keep a load balance for all the customers.

"While you can install TunnelBear on as many devices as you'd like, you can only make up to five connections to TunnelBear on the same account at any one time."

Most web browser send threaded requests to load the page faster, you could be experiencing issues because of this? Or its just because of server overload, they seem very informative but vague in their information they provide about the service unless i'm missing the detailed area?
    Last edited by |2eap; 05-04-2017 at 02:00 PM.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    182/0
    Mentioned
    145 times
    Time Online
    47d 8h 56m
    Avg. Time Online
    23m
    Quote Originally Posted by |2eap View Post
    Sounds like a limited bandwidth? Is tunnelbear cloud (shared) based?

EDIT: read the FAQ its because of limited connection bandwidth. They say its unlimited, but all VPN providers slow it down to keep a load balance for all the customers.

"While you can install TunnelBear on as many devices as you'd like, you can only make up to five connections to TunnelBear on the same account at any one time."

Most web browser send threaded requests to load the page faster, you could be experiencing issues because of this? Or its just because of server overload, they seem very informative but vague in their information they provide about the service unless i'm missing the detailed area?
    I really don't know to be honest. Quite the noob. All I know is that I can be browsing neopets or torrenting and it will be running fine. Then all of a sudden the page takes forever to load and then will result in an error page such as took too long to respond (before this google chrome would say waiting on tunnel bear extension). On the program pretty much the same thing with the lag happens, one torrent will go through but the next one will not. Or if I am running that account checker tool with a bunch of items in the SDB it will go through maybe half of the items in the SDB then make the program stop because it can longer lookup prices on JN with the VPN on.

When I disconnect TB and reconnect that changes the IP. Then everything starts to work again for a few minutes.

It is not the error for too many connections that I do know. Before getting my own TB I was using a friends account to try it out. So I saw what that looks like, and that error shows up on the TB program when you try to connect, for the Chrome extension there is no issue.

My PC is the only one that my account is signed up with. I am paid up until the 22nd of May. Funny thing was, soon as I cancelled my service it started to work better on my Chrome extension. But I still got the issues on the PC lol.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    75/0
    Mentioned
    822 times
    Time Online
    111d 11h 4m
    Avg. Time Online
    40m
    Quote Originally Posted by Stocking Anarchy View Post
    I really don't know to be honest. Quite the noob. All I know is that I can be browsing neopets or torrenting and it will be running fine. Then all of a sudden the page takes forever to load and then will result in an error page such as took too long to respond (before this google chrome would say waiting on tunnel bear extension). On the program pretty much the same thing with the lag happens, one torrent will go through but the next one will not. Or if I am running that account checker tool with a bunch of items in the SDB it will go through maybe half of the items in the SDB then make the program stop because it can longer lookup prices on JN with the VPN on.

When I disconnect TB and reconnect that changes the IP. Then everything starts to work again for a few minutes.

It is not the error for too many connections that I do know. Before getting my own TB I was using a friends account to try it out. So I saw what that looks like, and that error shows up on the TB program when you try to connect, for the Chrome extension there is no issue.

My PC is the only one that my account is signed up with. I am paid up until the 22nd of May. Funny thing was, soon as I cancelled my service it started to work better on my Chrome extension. But I still got the issues on the PC lol.
    They are throttling your bandwidth usage. it's bullshit cuz they claim unlimited bandwidth but in the fine print they say they limit you if they feel like its excessive use to make a "better experience for everyone".

thats why when you change form one ip to another the bandwidth for that ip hasnt been used up yet or overloaded so to speak.

With private proxies, some don't allow torrent downloads either etc becuase of the usage it uses.

Also if you use the same ip on a website, they majority of the time temp ban/ throttle the ip to take off some server load.

I noticed the same thing when scraping information from jellyneo.

To combat this i added timeouts to my requests and a retry if it does lag out after adding a small pause.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    182/0
    Mentioned
    145 times
    Time Online
    47d 8h 56m
    Avg. Time Online
    23m
    Quote Originally Posted by |2eap View Post
    They are throttling your bandwidth usage. it's bullshit cuz they claim unlimited bandwidth but in the fine print they say they limit you if they feel like its excessive use to make a "better experience for everyone".

thats why when you change form one ip to another the bandwidth for that ip hasnt been used up yet or overloaded so to speak.

With private proxies, some don't allow torrent downloads either etc becuase of the usage it uses.

Also if you use the same ip on a website, they majority of the time temp ban/ throttle the ip to take off some server load.

I noticed the same thing when scraping information from jellyneo.

To combat this i added timeouts to my requests and a retry if it does lag out after adding a small pause.

Ah and so because I have fiber and can do stuff super fast that is why i notice it happening so quickly?

Just did a speed test right after turning it on for chrome.
    Speed test firefox 96.56 download 95.23 upload 10 ms ping
    Speed test chrome with extension on 92.56 download 81.29 upload 73 ms ping

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Stocking Anarchy For This Useful Post:

|2eap (05-04-2017)