403/1
    Mentioned
    734 times
    Time Online
    120d 8h 12m
    Avg. Time Online
    42m

So... I took the TOEFL test...

So... I took the TOEFL test (Test of English as a Foreign Language, for those that don't know it) since it was required for a university application I'm trying.
    I... I don't know how to feel about this lol
    I mean, I always knew Speaking was (and still is) my worst skill but... I didn't think it would be THIS bad n_n

The max score is 120, which is 30 for each skill.
    Considering I don't write much (or at all, really), 28 in Writing was more than I was expecting (now I wish I had done cK's Writing Challenge at the time).
    Also, I should've aced Listening but at some point I distracted myself with thoughts and when I realized, I had missed half the conversation... GO ME! :')

Then comes Speaking...
    Honestly? I was nervous as fuck, yes. Mainly because I had to speak while I was surrounded by many other people taking the same test.
    I'm pretty sure I was the first to finish the first two skills' set of questions, so I was also the first to speak and just the thought of them listening to me... UGH!
    So yeah, I fucked up _/(ツ)\_
    That's something I definitely need to work on (tips appreciated )
    Not to mention the fact you had very little time (imo) to think of an answer...

Like, one of the questions gave you 3 options and asked: "Which of these is the most essential to develop a country".
    They literally gave me like 20 seconds to read and 40 seconds to think of an answer and a minute to deliver your answer D:
    I had so much to talk about, because it was something I truly understand and have an opinion about but... I had so little time, I couldn't organize the ideas and I ended up speaking for about 10 seconds before going silent for the next 50 D:

Anyways, that's it. 109 out of 120.
    The uni asks for 84, so I'm well above the average but... that 22 bothers me a lot :/
    If I intend to attend an uni in an English speaking country, should I be worried?
    Also, what should I do about that? lol

Oh, before I forget, has anyone else here taken this specific test or a similar one? If so, how did you do? :o

"HELP ME PLS"
    - Ban, 2017

Pronouns
    she/her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    3/0
    Mentioned
    95 times
    Time Online
    127d 13h 57m
    Avg. Time Online
    49m
    Don't worry too much about your speaking score, it looks like you did very well overall on your test, and I can definitely understand how nerves can get in the way of your verbal delivery. I had a boyfriend from Poland who had to take the test and he did well on it. When I first met him, his English was good but not the best, but it improved naturally over time because he was so immersed in American culture. I'm sure as you immerse yourself in an English speaking country where you're forced to speak the language often, you'll just naturally improve with your speaking

Chatting with English speakers through voice chat online can also help! My current boyfriend's native language is French, but he told me that he learned English from talking online and you can't even hear an accent when he speaks.

Thanks
    DL/UL
    403/1
    Mentioned
    734 times
    Time Online
    120d 8h 12m
    Avg. Time Online
    42m
    Quote Originally Posted by Foxglove View Post
    Don't worry too much about your speaking score, it looks like you did very well overall on your test, and I can definitely understand how nerves can get in the way of your verbal delivery. I had a boyfriend from Poland who had to take the test and he did well on it. When I first met him, his English was good but not the best, but it improved naturally over time because he was so immersed in American culture. I'm sure as you immerse yourself in an English speaking country where you're forced to speak the language often, you'll just naturally improve with your speaking

Chatting with English speakers through voice chat online can also help! My current boyfriend's native language is French, but he told me that he learned English from talking online and you can't even hear an accent when he speaks.
    Yeah, I did great overall on the test, that could've easily been a 112
    Oh... so I guess it's normal... phew!
    The real problem and the reason why I'm really worried is, though, the first few days/months xD
    I mean, it's an uni after all and while I can understand everything... I don't know n_n

I've always wanted to do that but have no idea where or how to :')
    Thanks <3

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    34/0
    Mentioned
    315 times
    Time Online
    49d 2h 15m
    Avg. Time Online
    16m
    The more you are around English speaking folk the easier it will become. As long as you have the general grasp you will be fine, the jargon and select phrases will come as you are exposed to it. But for University they do not over complicate exams or anything. You will be able to follow along, and if you need extra help just ask professors, they are quite accommodating.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Sci_Girl For This Useful Post:

Ban (04-18-2017)

Thanks
    DL/UL
    223/0
    Mentioned
    469 times
    Time Online
    132d 23h 52m
    Avg. Time Online
    45m
    Jesus, 22/30 it's not that bad, I assume you're not surrounded by english speakers to practice with?
    All the english I know it's from school (Supposed to be B1 level on the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages, but I'm sure 99% of students won't be good at speaking unless they take supplementary classes on a language academy, like, no more than 2 going by (you need an account to see links)), internet and movies/tv.

It's always been said that the best way to learn to speak a language it's to force yourself to hear/speak it by going, for example, to a country where that's the official language.

---------- Post added at 11:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:54 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Ban View Post
    I've always wanted to do that but have no idea where or how to :')
    Thanks <3
    Try (you need an account to see links).

Some others (you need an account to see links), (you need an account to see links).

I've heard good things about italki, I don't know about the other two.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Daviid For This Useful Post:

Ban (04-18-2017)

Pronouns
    she/her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    3/0
    Mentioned
    95 times
    Time Online
    127d 13h 57m
    Avg. Time Online
    49m
    If you're into playing video games, you can usually voice chat with people while playing those games If the people you meet via video games are usually not English-speakers, you could change your region to (for example) the Americas on Overwatch if you want to encounter more English speakers.

There are also plenty of gaming communities you can join who are pretty welcoming. When I played Runescape, I met a lot of people by joining clans or Warbands FCs. Minecraft players even use Discord these days to voice chat From my experiences, we were very welcoming to people regardless of whether English was their first language or not ^_^

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Foxglove For This Useful Post:

Ban (04-18-2017)

Thanks
    DL/UL
    403/1
    Mentioned
    734 times
    Time Online
    120d 8h 12m
    Avg. Time Online
    42m
    Quote Originally Posted by Sci_Girl View Post
    The more you are around English speaking folk the easier it will become. As long as you have the general grasp you will be fine, the jargon and select phrases will come as you are exposed to it. But for University they do not over complicate exams or anything. You will be able to follow along, and if you need extra help just ask professors, they are quite accommodating.
    Phew, that makes me happy, thanks x)

Quote Originally Posted by Daviid View Post
    Jesus, 22/30 it's not that bad, I assume you're not surrounded by english speakers to practice with?
    All the english I know it's from school (Supposed to be B1 level on the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages, but I'm sure 99% of students won't be good at speaking unless they take supplementary classes on a language academy, like, no more than 2 going by (you need an account to see links)), internet and movies/tv.

It's always been said that the best way to learn to speak a language it's to force yourself to hear/speak it by going, for example, to a country where that's the official language.

---------- Post added at 11:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:54 PM ----------

Try (you need an account to see links).

Some others (you need an account to see links), (you need an account to see links).

I've heard good things about italki, I don't know about the other two.
    It is, for me
    I should have been waaaay better imo D:
    And yeah, no one around me knows English e_e
    Mine falls into 3 according to that btw :o
    Or at least that's what 23 translates into anyways...

Oh, thanks, I'll try those <3

Quote Originally Posted by Foxglove View Post
    If you're into playing video games, you can usually voice chat with people while playing those games If the people you meet via video games are usually not English-speakers, you could change your region to (for example) the Americas on Overwatch if you want to encounter more English speakers.

There are also plenty of gaming communities you can join who are pretty welcoming. When I played Runescape, I met a lot of people by joining clans or Warbands FCs. Minecraft players even use Discord these days to voice chat From my experiences, we were very welcoming to people regardless of whether English was their first language or not ^_^

Oooh, true, I somehow never thought of that xD
    Now I only need to break the "shy barrier"... sigh D: