Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What is the scariest film that doesn't resort to cheap jump scares?

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    84/0
    Mentioned
    142 times
    Time Online
    11d 16h 36m
    Avg. Time Online
    4m
    The movie Megan Is Missing is still the most disturbing/scary movie I've ever seen. I don't recommend it tbh...

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    18/0
    Mentioned
    16 times
    Time Online
    6d 15h 17m
    Avg. Time Online
    2m
    This thread is exactly what I need.

Pronouns
    Sponge
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    1/0
    Mentioned
    52 times
    Time Online
    45d 21h 16m
    Avg. Time Online
    17m
    I really want to see It Follows... I keep hearing that it is really good.

The movie that scared the rainbows out of me was Arachnophobia... it's not a horror movie, but since I am deathly afraid of spiders and have panic attacks if one got on me, it was super disturbing for me. lol!

When a Stranger calls (remake or old one) kind of freaked me out some.
    http://clraik.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic12084_2.gif
    I am a little obsessed with a certain yellow sponge.

Pronouns
    she/her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    11/0
    Mentioned
    224 times
    Time Online
    99d 54m
    Avg. Time Online
    34m
    unpopular opinion apparently but It Follows was baaaaad lol

i liked Se7en, it's kinda gory though but not over the top.

gotta check some of these out when i get home from work

Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 times
    Time Online
    5d 11h 12m
    Avg. Time Online
    3m
    Probably stated, but The Shining is definitely a good one

Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 time
    Time Online
    1d 13h 11m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    Oof, I'm pretty late, but I'm a big fan of horror films, so I'm glad I found this.

Quote Originally Posted by helios View Post
    If I had to think of a classic, it would be Misery. The terror comes from Annie's bipolar changes in mood, and you are like Paul, sitting there and waiting for what she's going to do next.
    YES! I'm a huge fan of Steven King, and with Misery he manages to create the most perfect combination of sheer, blinding panic and creeping, inescapable dread. Kathy Bates earned a well deserved Oscar for her role.

Another brilliant horror without jump scares that relies on a more cognitive antagonist is The Silence of the Lambs. This film and it's lead actors won 5 oscars, and I cannot recommend it enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Antares View Post
    Probably stated, but The Shining is definitely a good one
    Another great work by Steven King! And while the master of horror is certainly entitled to some amount of credit for his creation, I think director Stanley Kubrick actually deserves the lion's share of the praise in this instance. If you have 20 minutes, this and the next video do an excellent job of unearthing and showcasing Kubrick's vision while working on the film.
    EDIT: Spoiler warning for the videos if you haven't actually seen The Shining.

As for my personal favorites, John Carpenter's The Thing manages to be a deeply terrifying movie that only utilizes one or two jump scares, and for the majority of the film it maintains a cerebral level of horror while relying on the typically non-cerebral class of antagonists: Monsters.

I'd also like to recommend two movies that actually DO resort to jump scares: First, The Cabin in the Woods, while not very scary, manages to deconstruct the genre in a fun and entirely unique way. Second, the original The Texas Chainsaw Massacre, with a budget of only $300,000, was unable to rely on expensive effects or edits or even music (mostly) to set the tone of its scariest scenes. Instead it relied on simple camerawork. The visceral nature of the film is not famous for nothing, but the unbroken, continuous shots are what really make this movie creepy as well as horrifying.
    Last edited by peanutsafety; 05-22-2017 at 09:08 PM.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    72/0
    Mentioned
    24 times
    Time Online
    10d 14h 2m
    Avg. Time Online
    4m
    THE MARTYRS
    its in french so make sure it has subtitles if you cant speak it but holllllyyyy fuck its a fucked up movie
    get high and watch it dude youll cry

8. The Following User Says Thank You to elissa For This Useful Post:

Cinnamoroll (06-10-2017)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    30/0
    Mentioned
    1,998 times
    Time Online
    435d 8h 55m
    Avg. Time Online
    2h 29m
    My favorite one is The Conjuring. I can't put my finger on why but I've always loved that movie. The sequel definitely wasn't as good as the original though.

There was another one that I watched recently but I can't remember the exact name. I'll try to look around and see if I can find it. Insidious was another good one if you haven't seen that.
    What's my definition of success?
    Creating something no one else can
    Being brave enough to dream big
    Grindin' when you're told to just quit
    Giving more when you got nothin' left

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    182/0
    Mentioned
    145 times
    Time Online
    47d 8h 56m
    Avg. Time Online
    23m
    Quote Originally Posted by peanutsafety View Post
    Oof, I'm pretty late, but I'm a big fan of horror films, so I'm glad I found this.
    I am glad you found it too, I enjoyed watching the video. I love all Stephen King movies and the made for TV movies as well. The first scary movie I remember seeing when I was a kid was the Texas Chainsaw Massacre and I think I was maybe 8 or 9 at the time. After the movie I had a dream that I killed my fam and chopped them up with a chainsaw and put all the pieces in the bathtub.

I had a hard time listing movies because while there is many that I love, I can't remember if they had a bunch of jump scares in them or not. So I'll just list some that really stand out to me.

Whatever Happened to Baby Jane - 1962 psychological thriller, sister sibling rivalry, one is paralyzed and has to depend on her very mentally ill younger sister to care for her. Stars Bette Davis and Joan Crawford.

I love so many of the Alfred Hitchcock films. Ill just list my 3 faves (and I mean the original black and whites heh)

Rear Window is a great one that inspired many spinoffs (hey if the Simpsons made a Halloween episode parodying it, then it has to be good right?)
    The Birds
    Psycho

The Fly

Ooooo and I just remembered one I used to love that had Vincent Price in it and managed to find it. It was back when the Twilight zone was a big deal, just managed to google it and it is called Twice-Told Tales. Sort of like Tales from the Crypt (also good) that has three mini-movies. The one I really liked was Rappaccini's Daughter.

Its funny that I remember TCM as being my first scary movie but I must have seen these other ones at a much earlier age, was born in the early 80s.

I can't really say that these are the 'scariest' films I have seen, because movies don't scare me. I am the kind of lady that laughs at the scary parts. But these are movies that stand out in my mind. There are more but guess my brain is on a film noir cult classic kick atm.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    1/0
    Mentioned
    1 time
    Time Online
    1d 11h 48m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    I think a relatively underrated horror movie is Sinister from 2012. It doesn't do a lot of jump scares but it does have some gruesome scenes. Plus the music really makes the movie.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to DevotedD For This Useful Post:

Cinnamoroll (06-10-2017)