Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: So the bill allowing ISPs to sell your info to third parties without your consent has passed

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    182/0
    Mentioned
    145 times
    Time Online
    47d 8h 56m
    Avg. Time Online
    23m

So the bill allowing ISPs to sell your info to third parties without your consent has passed

Which includes SSN, Medical Records, Financial Info, Contents of your E-mail, and your precise geo-location (on a mobile device).

Before you had to actually call your ISP and opt-in before your Internet Service Providers could sell any information. And not saying that they would sell stuff like medical records and SSN. But since they can see all of your traffic, they have the capability of selling all that info.

Thank you Republicans (it was a 215 - 205 largely partisan vote)

Do you think Trump will veto this bill? He said he would stand up for the rights of the individual as one of his campaign promises.

(you need an account to see links)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Stocking Anarchy For This Useful Post:

Urbex (03-29-2017)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    17/0
    Mentioned
    19 times
    Time Online
    23d 2h 3m
    Avg. Time Online
    7m
    Unfortunately I doubt Trump will veto this (I hope I am wrong). I think the only what this gets overturned is if someone or some company stands up and releases the above information of the politician's that supported this, as well as their families information. Once it starts effecting them then something will change but until then they are just going to profit off of this.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    29/0
    Mentioned
    101 times
    Time Online
    28d 2h 56m
    Avg. Time Online
    13m
    I'm not hopeful that just because Trump said he'd veto this, that he will actually do so.

This bill will lead to nothing good. ISPs can sell your SSN, medical history, and browsing history to companies? That's concerning (that means people will know I still play Neopets!). Everyone knew everything was being recorded and watched, but it's scary to see that this might become info that's freely sold.
    PM me to see what I have up for sale! Always selling UCs/NP/Accounts!
    Offering free PIN cracks to Clraik rank (and higher!), just shoot me a PM.

Thanks
    DL/UL
    5/0
    Mentioned
    44 times
    Time Online
    20d 5h 38m
    Avg. Time Online
    10m
    Tweet @ Trump; I am not one of his fans, but I think if he got hammered by folks opposing this he would veto.

---------- Post added at 06:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:41 PM ----------

Although; if you use Facebook, Google, or any of the other giants and log into anything or 'connect' with anything; all this info is already out there being sold.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Maelstra For This Useful Post:

Lilac Tentacles (03-29-2017)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    10/0
    Mentioned
    369 times
    Time Online
    68d 5m
    Avg. Time Online
    23m
    Until the US government stops using our SSN as a means of identification for literally everything, our SSNs are out there for the world to grab anyhoo. If you don't have a credit monitor, I highly suggest you get one. It wasn't until the last 5 years that the stupid military took our SSNs off our dog tags and ID cards. I've gone through at least 10 dog tags with my SSN, not to mention all medical paperwork has it willy nilly. I honestly don't care if it's plastered across a billboard in NYC at this point. I have a great credit/fraud prevention in place and my private information has passed through so many hands thanks to Uncle Sam, i mean... what can my internet company do with it that isn't already available to be done?

And as stated previously- Google and FB both track everything you do anyway. If you want to be off-grid, you need to commit. We're always being tracked now.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    182/0
    Mentioned
    145 times
    Time Online
    47d 8h 56m
    Avg. Time Online
    23m
    Quote Originally Posted by Cupcake. View Post
    Until the US government stops using our SSN as a means of identification for literally everything, our SSNs are out there for the world to grab anyhoo. If you don't have a credit monitor, I highly suggest you get one. It wasn't until the last 5 years that the stupid military took our SSNs off our dog tags and ID cards. I've gone through at least 10 dog tags with my SSN, not to mention all medical paperwork has it willy nilly. I honestly don't care if it's plastered across a billboard in NYC at this point. I have a great credit/fraud prevention in place and my private information has passed through so many hands thanks to Uncle Sam, i mean... what can my internet company do with it that isn't already available to be done?

And as stated previously- Google and FB both track everything you do anyway. If you want to be off-grid, you need to commit. We're always being tracked now.
    I just find it nauseating that we are paying these companies to use the internet AND they get to profit by selling our information. Used to be a time when a company would respect its clients privacy and strive for customer loyalty, not sell info to the highest bidder.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    10/0
    Mentioned
    369 times
    Time Online
    68d 5m
    Avg. Time Online
    23m
    Quote Originally Posted by Stocking Anarchy View Post
    I just find it nauseating that we are paying these companies to use the internet AND they get to profit by selling our information. Used to be a time when a company would respect its clients privacy and strive for customer loyalty, not sell info to the highest bidder.
    Yeah, it's disgusting.
    I'm more annoyed by how everyone is trying for higher and higher profit margins without actually contributing to the betterment of their company. They don't give pay raises, they give themselves yachts. There comes a point when you can absolutely make too much money. Like... chill.

Thanks
    DL/UL
    84/1
    Mentioned
    533 times
    Time Online
    134d 9h 16m
    Avg. Time Online
    52m
    I think Trump would veto this.
    He's made mention of supporting citizen rights multiple times and that he'd stand by it.
    This is some shit that violates A LOT of privacy issues. And these cunts are profiting off of it.
    I'm sure the profit aspect alone gets the business standpoint in Trump's mind churning a little in a way he'd be want to veto the bill.

But hey, if he doesn't. You can bet your ass people are gonna have one hell of a time buying out politicians internet history throwing it out for everyone to see.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    56/0
    Mentioned
    37 times
    Time Online
    37d 16h 37m
    Avg. Time Online
    15m
    From what I read about this bill, it only has to do with unencrypted data. So if you're using a VPN, Proxy, or any website that uses HTTPS, that data will remain safe. Your unencrypted data is what can be sold.

I would recommend everyone checking out the firefox addon HTTPS Everywhere. Leaving it on can help keep some of your browsing history safe.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Infiniti For This Useful Post:

240 (06-30-2017)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    6/0
    Mentioned
    21 times
    Time Online
    4d 14h 30m
    Avg. Time Online
    1m
    Even with proxies, tor, etc, your info can be had. There are too many great defcon videos on the matter and new methods come out constantly. I just use the internet knowing the potential that info can be found out about whatever. I have a similar feeling about identifiable information mentioned earlier in that it's out there and just to have a good plan to handle what might happen though benefits consumer protection alleviate my worries mostly as I stay on top of stuff like free weekly credit reports for example.