Mentioned
    101 times
    Time Online
    28d 2h 56m
    Avg. Time Online
    13m

[Neopets] Neocash Cap Valuer

Hey coders,

I've got a program suggestion for those willing to undertake it.

I'd really appreciate (and I'm sure others would too) a program that will run through an account (like the JiB Account Valuer) and value all the Neocash items according to capsule worth and create a .txt file of the items' values in order. Perhaps JiB Account Valuer could be modified to include this as well, but I have no idea.

What does everyone else think?
    PM me to see what I have up for sale! Always selling UCs/NP/Accounts!
    Offering free PIN cracks to Clraik rank (and higher!), just shoot me a PM.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    17/0
    Mentioned
    19 times
    Time Online
    23d 2h 3m
    Avg. Time Online
    7m
    I was actually thinking about this last night. I've been wanting to get into building programs for here. If someone else with a lot more experience is able to come up with something that's great, if not I will hopefully be able to start looking into it this weekend and have something soon, hopefully.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to TheButt For This Useful Post:

Urbex (03-29-2017)

Saiyan Race
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    23/36
    Mentioned
    3,867 times
    Time Online
    563d 5h 25m
    Avg. Time Online
    3h 13m
    How would you determine each NC item's cap value? Or would you have to create a list of every item and the respective value?
    (you need an account to see links)
    (you need an account to see links)(you need an account to see links)

------------------------
    [02/24/2013] Stealth CORE is made into the first standalone Neopets auto-player.
    ------------------------

5. The Following User Says Thank You to j03 For This Useful Post:

Urbex (03-29-2017)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    75/0
    Mentioned
    822 times
    Time Online
    111d 11h 4m
    Avg. Time Online
    40m
    I created something like this for personal use, however since its situational and seasonal the values can differ greatly. So I found it relatively inaccurate to keep as a standard as someone who sells A LOT of neocash items.

You could get a general thesis and sort the accounts NC by (basic-buyable) to more valuable which caps can range.
    And the basic and buyable can always jump into more valuable during season change/ retiring etc.

So really you value list would need to be updated regularly.

Only issue with this, scraping this data everytime to get the most accurate reading is time consuming.

So really the only way to accurately categorize them is 2-5 cap (buyable values) and then anything greater could be considered valuable?

In conclusion, I think its possible to create a NC general pricer, but as for it being accurate. Not so much. Same with an account Valuation tool.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to |2eap For This Useful Post:

Foxglove (03-29-2017),Urbex (03-29-2017)

Pronouns
    she/her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    3/0
    Mentioned
    93 times
    Time Online
    127d 9h 10m
    Avg. Time Online
    49m
    I think it's a good idea, it'll definitely help people who aren't very familiar with NC to value their items. It* wouldn't be 100% reliable though, because NC values of individual items fluctuate rapidly and often, and oftentimes an item's worth is not fully reflected in its guide value
    - (for example, a really rare Dyeworks item might be listed for only 3-5 caps, but realistically you'd probably spend days bumping your board overoffering with all your best stuff trying desperately to find a trade)
    - (also for example, lots of old high cap items are extremely difficult to trade away and have very little demand... like Weewoo Bath for example, valued at 6 caps but I wouldn't even trade a GBC towards it lol)
    - (also tons of items are listed at 1-2 caps, but some are complete fodder and others are really in-demand)

You'd probably need someone who's really knowledgeable about item values to initially help with the valuing system (especially when it comes to ignoring completely junky items like Classic Beauty Mark... nobody's going to pay extra for an account just because it has 100 Classic Beauty Marks on it haha, even though the valuer could potentially end up saying your account has 100 caps worth of NC on it)
    It'd be good if they were also aware of which lower-cap items are super popular (and worth showing off as highlights), and which higher value items aren't very popular and probably shouldn't be featured
    and it'd be good to also give the list a periodic update to keep up with value fluctuations
    Last edited by Foxglove; 03-29-2017 at 07:03 PM. Reason: grammatical error

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Foxglove For This Useful Post:

Urbex (03-29-2017)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    29/0
    Mentioned
    101 times
    Time Online
    28d 2h 56m
    Avg. Time Online
    13m
    I appreciate all the responses guys! I've tried to come up with some solutions, but I am not a programmer so I'm not sure if they're all viable suggestions.

These would be my suggested fixes to these issues, I'll touch upon what @(you need an account to see links) and @(you need an account to see links) mentioned.
    - Seasonal items return something like "Unpriced" or "Seasonal" instead of a cap value.
    - As I touch on below, an option to update the program's stored NC item values on demand
    - A general pricer would work, super inexpensive items could return "Price manually" or "Unpriced"
    - Fodder/garbage/slow-movingnneocash can return "Worthless" or "0 Caps" (User defines a list of items they want to be labelled garbage, or whoever programs it could decide).
    - Items known to fluctuate could return the current value from the petpages, up to the user to have the program-rescrape often.
    - Not all of these need to be implemented, they're just suggestions

I understand that by no means would this program be an "end-all-be-all" solution. The best method is having advanced market knowledge and pricing yourself. However, maybe a simple version of this could price those NC items that don't change in value too rapidly. Junk NC would need to be differentiated from valuable NC by some way though, both shouldn't return "Unpriced." I was just thinking of something that can look at an account and give the user an idea of "I should check some values of these items, maybe I can get $40 for this" or "This is all garbage, don't charge for it."

Quote Originally Posted by Infamous Joe View Post
    How would you determine each NC item's cap value? Or would you have to create a list of every item and the respective value?
    I was thinking that the program could scrape the values off of the petpages that have the values and store it locally. Whenever the user wants the values updated, they can type a command and the program will re-scrape values.
    PM me to see what I have up for sale! Always selling UCs/NP/Accounts!
    Offering free PIN cracks to Clraik rank (and higher!), just shoot me a PM.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    75/0
    Mentioned
    822 times
    Time Online
    111d 11h 4m
    Avg. Time Online
    40m
    Quote Originally Posted by Urbex View Post
    I appreciate all the responses guys! I've tried to come up with some solutions, but I am not a programmer so I'm not sure if they're all viable suggestions.

These would be my suggested fixes to these issues, I'll touch upon what @(you need an account to see links) and @(you need an account to see links) mentioned.
    - Seasonal items return something like "Unpriced" or "Seasonal" instead of a cap value.
    - As I touch on below, an option to update the program's stored NC item values on demand
    - A general pricer would work, super inexpensive items could return "Price manually" or "Unpriced"
    - Fodder/garbage/slow-movingnneocash can return "Worthless" or "0 Caps" (User defines a list of items they want to be labelled garbage, or whoever programs it could decide).
    - Items known to fluctuate could return the current value from the petpages, up to the user to have the program-rescrape often.
    - Not all of these need to be implemented, they're just suggestions

I understand that by no means would this program be an "end-all-be-all" solution. The best method is having advanced market knowledge and pricing yourself. However, maybe a simple version of this could price those NC items that don't change in value too rapidly. Junk NC would need to be differentiated from valuable NC by some way though, both shouldn't return "Unpriced." I was just thinking of something that can look at an account and give the user an idea of "I should check some values of these items, maybe I can get $40 for this" or "This is all garbage, don't charge for it."

I was thinking that the program could scrape the values off of the petpages that have the values and store it locally. Whenever the user wants the values updated, they can type a command and the program will re-scrape values.
    But being a coder, I don't like relying on data to be updated by someone else. (like a NC cap value guide)

However since i dont run an official fan site they'd ban my proxies pretty quick from scraping trade data on the neoboards in realtime.

So one would resort to a cap value guide list.

Issue is, its very biased at that. The values are updated based upon the users knowledge and feeling. Same with seasonal items etc. For the most part in general they would be accurate but I like to be precise!

For user submission, its possible to have a user overwrite data file.

Since for best results it would be best to generate a price table every time the script is ran. If you were to do something in program, it would get overwritten next time the program is ran.
    My thoughts are to compare many petpages to get a "fair" value.

The data that goes into it would be on txt files.
    itemnames.txt (itemnames to scan petpages for cap values)
    petpages.txt (petapages to scan and compare)
    seasonalitems.txt (formatted in a way for item, and what season)
    overwrite.txt (formatted in certain way, overwrites entry in generated D

But again this is all really relying on what data is being put in since there isn't really a NC item DB like that atm to gather data from.

What are the most accurate petpages for you?

Pronouns
    she/her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    3/0
    Mentioned
    93 times
    Time Online
    127d 9h 10m
    Avg. Time Online
    49m
    Yeah, you'd definitely need to refer to more than one petpage to get a complete list of values
    /~Clara's pretty out-of-date when it comes to present-day and past populars, but I've noticed several rare but valuable items are missing values on /~Korolie (the most up-to-date guide at the moment), so you'd have to refer back to /~Clara (or /~Saphronn) to get a value for those items and risk getting out-of-date values. Also there are some unwearable NC items that are potentially valuable (unless it's a GBC or FQC, these items are usually only of interest to a niche market) but which aren't listed or don't have a value on the aforementioned guides

That said... I think if the program could
    1. separate the "valuable/nice items" from the junk and generally unwanted expensive stuff (like Weewoo Bath),
    2. and then only look up values for the valuable items (most of them will have fairly accurate values listed on /~Korolie, only the very rare ones may not have values listed due to how infrequently they trade)
    3. sort the items in order of descending cap value
    4. and lastly promote popular items to the top of the list
    then you'd have yourself a pretty decent NC value appraiser
    Last edited by Foxglove; 03-30-2017 at 12:08 AM.

Saiyan Race
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    23/36
    Mentioned
    3,867 times
    Time Online
    563d 5h 25m
    Avg. Time Online
    3h 13m
    Quote Originally Posted by Urbex View Post

Unless the data is in a format that is easy to manipulate (like Food Club petpages), it would be hard to have it do that unless you coded the grabbing process for each petpage... and there is no guarantee the data is in a neat table/list to extract.

Best way IMO is put everything into a database and then manage it from there.
    (you need an account to see links)
    (you need an account to see links)(you need an account to see links)

------------------------
    [02/24/2013] Stealth CORE is made into the first standalone Neopets auto-player.
    ------------------------

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    75/0
    Mentioned
    822 times
    Time Online
    111d 11h 4m
    Avg. Time Online
    40m
    Quote Originally Posted by Foxglove View Post
    Yeah, you'd definitely need to refer to more than one petpage to get a complete list of values
    /~Clara's pretty out-of-date when it comes to present-day and past populars, but I've noticed several rare but valuable items are missing values on /~Korolie (the most up-to-date guide at the moment), so you'd have to refer back to /~Clara (or /~Saphronn) to get a value for those items and risk getting out-of-date values. Also there are some unwearable NC items that are potentially valuable (unless it's a GBC or FQC, these items are usually only of interest to a niche market) but which aren't listed or don't have a value on the aforementioned guides

That said... I think if the program could
    1. separate the "valuable/nice items" from the junk and generally unwanted expensive stuff (like Weewoo Bath),
    2. and then only look up values for the valuable items (most of them will have fairly accurate values listed on /~Korolie, only the very rare ones may not have values listed due to how infrequently they trade)
    3. sort the items in order of descending cap value
    4. and lastly promote popular items to the top of the list
    then you'd have yourself a pretty decent NC value appraiser
    Unfortunately there aren't more guides yea. Since most of them date their update dates you could load a list of petpages and compare the dates and see if they are within a certain timeframe. say 3 months of the current day. So if they were updated in that timeframe it would use those guides to grab and compare cap values.

at least that what I was thinking about doing but after looking futher into it i only found Korolie and Saphronn to be even remotely updated.

Someone(s) should suggest to JN or DTI or both to let people add the cap value they think an item is worth when they are making their trade-lists.
    I'm gonna send them an email too because it seems like a missing link in everything to me haha