Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Any pro-battlers on here? Looking to get some help balancing all the battle items in my game.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    14/0
    Mentioned
    2 times
    Time Online
    5d 4h 27m
    Avg. Time Online
    1m
    Stemming from Hurricane's points, you can also choose to have a tier system. For example, Anagram swords would be in tier 1, turned tooth would be in tier 2, etc. Limit each battledome set to have one tier 1, 2-3 tier 2.

Something like that.

I would need to see the rules and specifics to your game to give more precise suggestions.

Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    5 times
    Time Online
    4d 6h 11m
    Avg. Time Online
    2m
    Valid points to you both and great input. At the moment I didn't have any rules in place except for limiting sets to 1 healer/full blocker/freezer/bomb, the other items in your set are up to your choosing.

I guess I could keep multiple icon types and like hurricane said, make any 15+ constants only available to elite players and also there should be some kind of defense against them (full blocker/reflector).

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    14/0
    Mentioned
    2 times
    Time Online
    5d 4h 27m
    Avg. Time Online
    1m
    Depending on the number of turns each battle has, another way to curb powerful weapons is to limit the frequency they can be used. For example, an anagram sword can only be used every 4 turns. So it would be in the middle between a bomb and a multi-use.

The problem with all three of my suggestions is that they only add a tiny bit of depth to a battle system intrinsically shallow.

Let's face it. neopets battledome is pretty much a matter of hurling as many icons as you can at your opponent. Little strategy and little thought = quickly stale. Using neopets battledome as a model for your pet game is, in my opinion, a bad idea. The only reason why I am drawn to the battledome is for its nostalgic value. If I found a new game with the exact same mechanics, I wouldn't play it for long.

Have you considered other templates for battling in your pet game? Creativity is your friend

Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    5 times
    Time Online
    4d 6h 11m
    Avg. Time Online
    2m
    I've thought about item upgrade system as well as "card deck" system which is similar to what you said where you can only use certain cards every x amount of turns and I still prefer the Neopets battledome system. I like it for a couple reasons:

#1: It allows players to try out multiple types of battle pets (heavy offense, heavy defense, noobinator, etc). For a noobinator type of pet you cannot wait on a certain card to pop up from your deck, there needs to be a strict set of items they need to use within the first 1-2 turns of the battle.

#2: If you can afford the battle set you want, you can pretty much play any style you would like without worrying about upgrading your items.

Of course I may be wrong because I am no expert at the battledome, but that is what I have come up with.

What other ideas did you have in mind? The way my game is coded at the moment it would still not be a huge deal to change up the style of battling.

**EDIT:

I would like to add I think a lot of people would like to see something similar to the "old-school" battledome come back.
    Last edited by ItsPeteBrah; 03-24-2017 at 07:03 AM.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    14/0
    Mentioned
    2 times
    Time Online
    5d 4h 27m
    Avg. Time Online
    1m
    I like those two suggestions. I'll talk about them later. First:

Keep in mind that the neopets battledome was created over 15 years ago. At that time, RPGs, card games, strategy games in general weren't as advanced as they are now. If you stick too closely to the neopets battledome system, you're limiting your audience to adults who played neopets as a kid and still play neopets now. Awfully specific, aight. If that is your intent, do keep in mind that this population is constantly diminishing. If your entire website follows the old neopets closely, you may find a large spike of interest in the beginning, but you'll also lack capacity for growth. Lastly, keep in mind you won't be the first one to try to emulate old neopets.

Important questions to OBJECTIVELY yourself: Why do you want to create this website? Do you find that there is a heavy element of nostalgia, a desire to reconstruct the past? That sentiment could be a downfall.

The reason why I like your two suggestions is that they incorporate concepts from modern games. This could draw a broader pool of players.

Personally, the card deck system sounds better because it allows for many elements of the neopets battledome. Here's a quick brainstorm of how a card deck system could work:

HP is amount of damage a pet can take. Strength is a multiplier for icon damage. Defense is a multiplier for icon defense. Agility and/or intelligence is a multiplier for resource generation. Each deck has thirty cards. Attack and Defense cost resources and follow a linear power curve. Goal is to develop your board. Defense cards are inherently weaker than offense cards, but once played they stay for the duration of the match. or until a bomb is used. Strategy is to either build defense, blitz, or build long term offense

Most card games follow this model. Creativity and card balance will make the difference between Bad, OK and great.

This concludes my consulting If you want my more of my services, you'll have to pay me with your future in-game weaponry. PM me and we can chat.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to moo8985 For This Useful Post:

Pox (03-24-2017)