Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What are your favorite cheap, healthy snacks/meals?

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    1/0
    Mentioned
    23 times
    Time Online
    15d 17h 9m
    Avg. Time Online
    8m

What are your favorite cheap, healthy snacks/meals?

I'm working on eating healthier, and meal planning to benefit my health and save money!

(Meal planning in a sense that I purchase groceries and plan the meals as I do that - and decided what I'm going to eat every day in advanced instead of making boring ass food and eating left overs for four days - yuck)

A good one rn for me is a pickled beet salad (using my grandma's pickled beets) with arugula, goat cheese, and a homemade lemon dijon vinaigrette!

---------- Post added at 09:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:18 PM ----------

Also I have these dill pickle cashews and they are amazing. @__@;

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    64/0
    Mentioned
    942 times
    Time Online
    291d 16h 10m
    Avg. Time Online
    1h 55m
    I loveee dried mangoes but they're pretty expensive ($6/bag here). I love eating (frozen) raspberries as well.
    I hate beets with a passion I don't know how you can eat that salad LOL
    i love luna

Thanks
    DL/UL
    19/0
    Mentioned
    733 times
    Time Online
    158d 26m
    Avg. Time Online
    57m
    I love canned tuna, so I mix it with chopped onions and I fill a tomato with that, so that's what I would eat for example. Filling vegetables makes it fun, another alternative is cutting chicken in small cubes, mixing it with corn and filling half of an avocado with that. Put that over a bed of lettuce and it makes a fun easy salad

Saiyan Race
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    23/36
    Mentioned
    3,867 times
    Time Online
    563d 5h 25m
    Avg. Time Online
    3h 13m
    Peanut butter, Kraft Mac n Cheese, tuna
    (you need an account to see links)
    (you need an account to see links)(you need an account to see links)

------------------------
    [02/24/2013] Stealth CORE is made into the first standalone Neopets auto-player.
    ------------------------

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    8/0
    Mentioned
    46 times
    Time Online
    8d 11h 54m
    Avg. Time Online
    3m
    Celery, it's crunchy and juicy.
    in the end no one ever knew what the outcome would be. So I guess� you have to do your best to make a decision that you won�t regret.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    8/0
    Mentioned
    31 times
    Time Online
    19d 17h 59m
    Avg. Time Online
    7m
    I think the MorningStar products go a long way when it comes to eating healthy, even if you aren't trying to go vegetarian!
    The spicy black bean burgers are my favorite, and making something like spaghetti
    out of zucchini noodles/wheat noodles with the "meat" crumbles is really good and low cal.

Also, get into the habit of throwing a bowl of salad (like the spring mix, baby spinach, baby arugula) and just a vinaigrette
    together with each meal. It'll help you feel more full with very little calories, and it's an extra fiber source.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    19/0
    Mentioned
    16 times
    Time Online
    25d 11h 19m
    Avg. Time Online
    11m
    Quote Originally Posted by Lotus View Post
    I think the MorningStar products go a long way when it comes to eating healthy, even if you aren't trying to go vegetarian!
    The spicy black bean burgers are my favorite, and making something like spaghetti
    out of zucchini noodles/wheat noodles with the "meat" crumbles is really good and low cal.

Also, get into the habit of throwing a bowl of salad (like the spring mix, baby spinach, baby arugula) and just a vinaigrette
    together with each meal. It'll help you feel more full with very little calories, and it's an extra fiber source.
    Agreed, I've tried many different brands and they are my favorite.
    I really like their Spicy Black Bean burgers as well. Buffalo Chicken Patties are my 2nd favorite, Corn dogs and even the breakfast sausage is good.

I've started making a smoothie before work every day with a bag of frozen fruit, Milk (or OJ), Vanilla greek yogurt, vanilla extract, cinnamon. Drink it before work and while I'm driving to work.
    Add salt to taste!

Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 times
    Time Online
    1d 7h 34m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    i like to throw a whole tomato or two (green part removed) and a can of beans into the rice cooker with the rice and some crack pepper. it makes a very filling, very cheap meal with vegetable!

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    14/0
    Mentioned
    1 time
    Time Online
    18h 17m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    migoreng noodles - thats healthy right?

But for real, its a cheap meal, and you can always fry and egg to add with it as well.
    Last edited by toomanyskins; 02-10-2017 at 11:57 PM.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    34/0
    Mentioned
    315 times
    Time Online
    49d 2h 15m
    Avg. Time Online
    16m
    If you are going the healthy route you will need to make your own snacks and meals. Absolutely nothing that says precooked, frozen, or ready to microwave meal.

Make your own dressings, sandwiches, side dishes. Having sandwiches is good if you avoid the packaged meats, go to the deli and order however many grams of meat there. Those pretty packaged ones have extra fillers and preservatives for shelf life. Tuna is an excellent option for protein packed meals. They have so many flavors now too, I personally like the maple leaf gourmet brand sundried tomato in olive oil. It is great in a sandwich with lettuce and red onion. Or just by itself with a pile of veggies.

Also make sure your snacks are heavy on protein. It will make you feel more full for longer. Oatmeal (not too much sugar types), peanut butter, tuna, bean salads, lentil salads and the king of protein-Quinoa.

My go-to for quick and heavy on the healthy is a chickpea coconut curry on top of sweet potato or yams, whichever is cheaper that week.
    (you need an account to see links)

To save on money with veggies go with frozen. They are quite frankly more fresh there than on the shelves. They are picked, washed, and frozen asap.