Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: Does money change people? What if you won 100 Million dollars?

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    18/0
    Mentioned
    2 times
    Time Online
    17h 16m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    wolf of wall sreet lifestyle

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    35/0
    Mentioned
    9 times
    Time Online
    8d 12h 31m
    Avg. Time Online
    4m
    I think money does change people especially when they do not have to work for it. It all sounds fine and dandy until people start trying to get money off of you. Expect people you haven't heard from in 5 years knocking on your door, and charities will also be seeking something. Also I think some people can go down the path of a playboy lifestyle, or the route of excessive plastic surgery etc. NOT saying anyone here would but it is a possible factor.

Ofc it's nice to be able to treat your family to the things they've wanted. But money is a huge dividing factor in many families, and people may start feeling entitled. Where do you draw the line of what you give away?

But enough of me being negative xD. I'd probably buy my parents a nice retirement property/cottage, get my brother his dream car, ofc spend something on myself (no idea what though ... it's an overwhelming amount of money). As a charity I'd like to invest in something that helps people of any age struggling with mental illness to reach out and get help.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    27/0
    Mentioned
    28 times
    Time Online
    21d 21h 31m
    Avg. Time Online
    10m
    There was some study that showed that wealth-happiness has a steep curve up to about $75k/yr, give or take, and thereafter has increasingly diminutive returns on one's day to day happiness. I think that once your needs and wants are met (people tend to overestimate their wants and how much it will make them happier), money starts to lose meaning (and value). At that point, there's really no point in having more except to just throw it away just because you can or hoard it... neither of which will make you any happier.

People can call BS if they want, but I honestly don't want to be rich. Most of the things that I like to do or that make me happy are free, or pretty close to it. The things that are just out of my reach--I kinda like that they're that way. It gives me something to work towards and the payoff is much more special than if I didn't have to lift a finger to get it. Even gifting people things would lose its appeal after a while. A gift is more meaningful for both parties when there's a little bit of sacrifice involved, otherwise like Northern said, it just becomes an entitlement.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    89/0
    Mentioned
    5 times
    Time Online
    3d 7h 42m
    Avg. Time Online
    1m
    Humans feel best when they work for their resources. Get someone on welfare and ask them if they're truly accomplished. Have you seen what happens to people who win the lottery? They're consumed by hedonism and their family and friends tear them apart for money.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    17/0
    Mentioned
    4 times
    Time Online
    36d 8h 31m
    Avg. Time Online
    16m
    i mean yea it'll change ya, i don't think i'd change terribly much myself cause i'd act the same way as i do now with money... just buy a bunch of fun stuff on games
    i'd certainly buy 1 of each uc and go from there first off lol

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    200/0
    Mentioned
    54 times
    Time Online
    66d 8h 8m
    Avg. Time Online
    22m
    Quote Originally Posted by Sugar Rush View Post
    There was some study that showed that wealth-happiness has a steep curve up to about $75k/yr, give or take, and thereafter has increasingly diminutive returns on one's day to day happiness. I think that once your needs and wants are met (people tend to overestimate their wants and how much it will make them happier), money starts to lose meaning (and value). At that point, there's really no point in having more except to just throw it away just because you can or hoard it... neither of which will make you any happier.

People can call BS if they want, but I honestly don't want to be rich. Most of the things that I like to do or that make me happy are free, or pretty close to it. The things that are just out of my reach--I kinda like that they're that way. It gives me something to work towards and the payoff is much more special than if I didn't have to lift a finger to get it. Even gifting people things would lose its appeal after a while. A gift is more meaningful for both parties when there's a little bit of sacrifice involved, otherwise like Northern said, it just becomes an entitlement.
    We watched the same w/e it was that talked about this. Everything after $75k a year wont bring you more happiness if you have to give up anything else. (wouldn't it be nice just to make $75k a year tho LOL)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    31/0
    Mentioned
    18 times
    Time Online
    17d 11h 36m
    Avg. Time Online
    10m
    For me, at least, when it's money that I didn't exactly earn myself.. there's a sort of different feeling about it.

Because, sure, I'm definitely going to save gift money up for my own sake: for future necessities, emergencies, and so on and so forth. Might as well make the best out of opportunities when life deals them to you. But when you make something out of hard work, there's a different mindset in how you use it, isn't there?
    There's a feeling of being able to be a little more selfish about it, because you put all your effort and sweat and blood into it, and your time + energy is an ultimately finite resource.

Yet, taking the prompt into perspective.. 100 million. Geez. What would I possibly need all of that for?

I would stow away a decent chunk of it all to help ensure a comfortable life for myself and my girlfriend, because with the future being incredibly unclear right now, just having a happy and stable life seems wonderful. After that, then I would put a little more towards providing for friends and family, and lay out a sum for the rare vacations or shopping trips to the craft store. But after that point, I don't know what business I would have with the good 80-90% still remaining.

The rest would probably be divvied up for donating to charities, to people in need, to people who need surgery and to small organizations and businesses that need the support.
    There's too much suffering in this world, and to sit on all that money without doing something significant with it.. I can't. I care way too much.

As difficult as it is for me to comprehend all those riches, it seems wonderful to not worry about money at all.. especially when I already end up feeling bad when people take me out to eat or do other things that spend unnecessary money on me. There's a low-key guilt that's always there, because "I didn't do anything to deserve this, to work for this, why are you being so nice to me when I didn't warrant it"? That feeling.

Ultimately, I honestly just want to live a comfortable but modest middle-class life, the same comfort that my own family's afforded me so far, and want little more than to make other people know the same kind of happiness and stability. It's all nothing special, I suppose.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    25/0
    Mentioned
    Never
    Time Online
    1d 19h 45m
    Avg. Time Online
    1m
    Buy an island. Secede. Create own currency. Establish tax haven. Retire.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    7/0
    Mentioned
    Never
    Time Online
    6h 16m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    I'd spend it all on mobile game microtransactions
    jk, but I'd probably blow a lot of it on junk that I don't need and then invest or save the rest. Probably pamper my pets too. I don't think it'd change me, at least not much...

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    33/0
    Mentioned
    3 times
    Time Online
    16h 39m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    Check out this post on reddit about rich lifestyles, it's really an eye opener:
    (you need an account to see links)

11. The Following User Says Thank You to bbuilder For This Useful Post:

Delibird (10-12-2017)