Thread: Solar Sail to travel almost as fast as speed of light!

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    28/0
    Mentioned
    9 times
    Time Online
    7d 19h 8m
    Avg. Time Online
    4m

Solar Sail to travel almost as fast as speed of light!

(you need an account to see links)

According to this article, this solar sail that they are working on will potentially be able to travel up to one-fifth the speed of light!

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    64/0
    Mentioned
    942 times
    Time Online
    291d 16h 10m
    Avg. Time Online
    1h 55m
    That's insane but it'll be so cool if they can manage that.
    Hopefully, it'll go smoothly, but I have a little doubt lol
    i love luna

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    75/0
    Mentioned
    33 times
    Time Online
    22d 21h 36m
    Avg. Time Online
    11m
    I wonder what we will find there. Hopefully this doesn't get lost in the ideas of planning and is actually implemented.

Thanks
    DL/UL
    223/0
    Mentioned
    469 times
    Time Online
    132d 23h 52m
    Avg. Time Online
    45m
    Quote Originally Posted by TandN
    almost as fast as speed of light!
    Quote Originally Posted by TandN View Post
    up to one-fifth the speed of light!
    I'm getting contradictory messages here.

To be honest powering lasers powerful enought to reach outerspace to start the movement and the keep at it must be expensive as hell.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    30/0
    Mentioned
    1,998 times
    Time Online
    437d 15h 27m
    Avg. Time Online
    2h 30m
    This story has been a thing for quite awhile now. Although the concept art on that article looks quite different than the ones I have seen in that past. It's an interesting concept but there are still lots of things they would need to work out in order to make it a reality. Getting life to Mars is a more realistic project for the time being I think. I'm not sure what they hope to accomplish by sending this craft to the closest star? Technology has been moving in leaps and bounds, in just the last twenty or so years. I'm sure we will have something that makes this mission entirely possible in 5-10 years time.
    What's my definition of success?
    Creating something no one else can
    Being brave enough to dream big
    Grindin' when you're told to just quit
    Giving more when you got nothin' left

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    20/0
    Mentioned
    19 times
    Time Online
    40d 23h 36m
    Avg. Time Online
    19m
    Quote Originally Posted by I_royalty_I View Post
    This story has been a thing for quite awhile now. Although the concept art on that article looks quite different than the ones I have seen in that past. It's an interesting concept but there are still lots of things they would need to work out in order to make it a reality. Getting life to Mars is a more realistic project for the time being I think. I'm not sure what they hope to accomplish by sending this craft to the closest star? Technology has been moving in leaps and bounds, in just the last twenty or so years. I'm sure we will have something that makes this mission entirely possible in 5-10 years time.
    I think the main purpose of making something like this is to get a jump start on the technology required to actually do it; a proof-of-concept if you will. It's successful implementation of technology that gets people to open their wallets and fund further research. If they can prove that the technology works, they'll be able to get a whole lot more than just $100M from a single investor, which means the next ship will be bigger and faster. In solving the posed problems, it also allows for development of new technologies that could be useful in a multitude of other fields, IE the self-healing silicon chips which could be used in satellites or even just Earth-bound computers, or the solar sails themselves that could potentially be adapted to the aforementioned Mars mission. After all, landing a man on the Moon was never just about landing a man on the Moon.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Ehentalix For This Useful Post:

I_royalty_I (12-19-2016)