9/0
    Mentioned
    Never
    Time Online
    14h 36m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    Quote Originally Posted by Sci_Girl View Post
    Circular reasoning does not further the discussion.
    I don't see how any of my argument is "circular reasoning" :/

I'm not claiming that there isn't other life out there, only that we cannot know whether or not there is other life out there (unless we find some, of course) because there are a lot of variables in e.g. the Drake Equation or the Rare Earth Equation (etc) that we do not know. Their values could range wildly and it's all speculation. The fact of the matter is that there is only a probability of other life being out there, if life indeed generated spontaneously (if there was a free-willed "creator" then all of our efforts to estimate are moot). That probability could be 99.9999%. It could also be 0.00001%. Or anywhere in between or even more extreme.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    108/0
    Mentioned
    369 times
    Time Online
    49d 8h 40m
    Avg. Time Online
    17m
    guys lets not forget that there is still a large population of the world that still believes the earth is flat and the sun revolves around us not us around the sun..
    [11:06 PN] domenick: you cant fix stupid
    [11:06 PM] andrew: unfortunately not lol

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Dom~ For This Useful Post:

Hubble (12-19-2016)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    182/0
    Mentioned
    145 times
    Time Online
    47d 8h 56m
    Avg. Time Online
    23m
    Quote Originally Posted by ~Domenick~ View Post
    guys lets not forget that there is still a large population of the world that still believes the earth is flat and the sun revolves around us not us around the sun..

5. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Stocking Anarchy For This Useful Post:

70spurple (12-19-2016),Dom~ (12-19-2016),Mophead (12-21-2016),Sci_Girl (12-19-2016)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    2/0
    Mentioned
    11 times
    Time Online
    2d 18h 5m
    Avg. Time Online
    1m

but I thought everything revolved around me :/

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    34/0
    Mentioned
    315 times
    Time Online
    49d 2h 15m
    Avg. Time Online
    16m
    Lol yeah the flat Earth, Universe is 5000 years old group. Cannot burst their bubble of safe thinking and have life on other planets.

Other people get worked up over Taylor Swift having a new boy toy, I could not imagine the panic of establishing other life if celebrity changes causes a calamity.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Sci_Girl For This Useful Post:

Dom~ (12-20-2016)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    28/0
    Mentioned
    9 times
    Time Online
    7d 19h 8m
    Avg. Time Online
    4m
    Damn I forgot about this until you reminded me...

---------- Post added at 12:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:57 AM ----------

The way I see it, we started out as single celled organisms in water right? (So right off the bat finding another planet, or 'star' with water on it would inhibit the possibility of there being life too) Single celled organisms on a planet that was created out of gases and dust formed into a planet by gravity. The gases formed the atmosphere which in turn formed all the water. This type of star formation happens throughout the known universe continually, so who's to say this kind of star formation doesn't happen, with life also inhabiting the celestial body? Unless life formed on our planet just out of some random reason or probability (which scientifically, astronomically and biologically doesn't make sense) than the same process that brought human life about is just as likely to happen on any other celestial body.

I think the universe is just so vast, and we haven't explored or discovered (in-depth) enough of it to come across any other life forms; especially life forms like humans. But then again we have been discovering more and more planets and stars with frozen methane lakes (Earth started out with methane gas, it is still one of the most potent greenhouse gases to this day) and even just frozen water. It's frozen, but the element of water potentially harboring life is still there, perhaps just at a lower chance.

Then again there is always the multiple universe theory. We live in our 'uni'verse (uni meaning 1 of course) so how do we know there aren't 'other universes out there' paralell or divergent of ours harboring life? Perhaps human life just like us, with another Earth just like ours? Like already mentioned here, and mentioned over and over in astronomy articles talking about the subject of other life out there, the chances of either way are just so vast, because our universe is so vast.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    9/0
    Mentioned
    Never
    Time Online
    14h 36m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    Quote Originally Posted by TandN View Post
    The way I see it, we started out as single celled organisms in water right? (So right off the bat finding another planet, or 'star' with water on it would inhibit the possibility of there being life too)
    Right-- but how did "single celled organisms" get here? That's where all the debate comes from. Even single-celled organisms are incredibly complex. Self-replicating complex proteins probably came first, eventually approximating something resembling DNA and allowing mutations to be inherited through the replication process. The thing is (unless you make the (imo anti-scientific) argument of an intelligent creator), everything started out as raw elements spewed out into space that eventually collapsed via gravity into stars and planets, etc. There were no complex proteins capable of self-replication and mutable inheritance "from the beginning" -- those had to generate "randomly" -- the question is: how rare is it for that random generation of "life" to happen even assuming the right conditions are present? How many hundreds, thousands, millions, billions, quadrillions, ??? of years on average does it take for life to spontaneously arise somewhere in the observable universe? For all we know, this phenomena could be sufficiently rare to be considered "statistically impossible" which means in all likelihood it did not happen anywhere else. Then again, for all we know it could be common enough that there are thousands, millions, billions, ??? of other life-ridden planets out there.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to _Izual For This Useful Post:

Hubble (12-19-2016)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    4/0
    Mentioned
    3 times
    Time Online
    2d 6h 9m
    Avg. Time Online
    1m
    I believe that there is most probably life out there somewhere, however the distances may be so extreme that we are never likely to meet.

Thanks
    DL/UL
    126/0
    Mentioned
    300 times
    Time Online
    218d 12h 58m
    Avg. Time Online
    1h 44m
    The universe is a big ass thing, it's certainly unlikely that we're alone. It reallyyyy does make me think, how many of them are intelligent? How many of them have acquired technology so powerful that it never crossed our mind that such thing existed? Surely they must have different materials or something, our imagination is limited to what happens within our reach.

But why would they come here? Hell if I know, we must be the most chaotic and uninteresting bunch they've ever seen, or maybe South Park was right and they're making a reality show of us.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    64/0
    Mentioned
    942 times
    Time Online
    291d 16h 10m
    Avg. Time Online
    1h 55m
    Yeah, I think the question really boils down to what kind of life could be out there. It could be single-celled organisms or creatures (more) intelligent than us with way more advanced technology.
    I think the sightings people usually have seen are spotted by UFO enthusiasts and nutjobs most of the time. It's not impossible that some of them are real, but, at this point in time, I don't really believe in any of the claims of seeing UFOs.
    i love luna