28/0
    Mentioned
    9 times
    Time Online
    7d 19h 8m
    Avg. Time Online
    4m

Recent UFO Sightings

I don't know if any of you pay attention to the news, but recently there has been a huge increase in the amount of UFO Sightings across the world.

People from New York all the way to Australia have been sending in all sorts of reports of UFO's flying around their skies!

What are your thoughts? Do you think any of them are real or are they all just balogni? (I refuse to spell it balogna )

(you need an account to see links)

The first link suggests there may be an alien invasion in 2017 lol

Also on a somewhat related note, scientists and marine biologists have discovered like 20 new species of animals in the bottom of the ocean that are alien-like too.

Do you think 'aliens' are real? Have they already visited us? Will they ever visit us? Discuss

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    64/0
    Mentioned
    942 times
    Time Online
    291d 16h 10m
    Avg. Time Online
    1h 55m
    @(you need an account to see links) lol

I don't believe necessarily in UFOs, but I think it's absurd to believe there isn't other life within or outside of this universe. It's impossible that we're the only things to exist anywhere, in my opinion.

also, I don't mean to be that person, but it's bologna..
    i love luna

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    28/0
    Mentioned
    9 times
    Time Online
    7d 19h 8m
    Avg. Time Online
    4m
    Quote Originally Posted by Aura View Post

I don't believe necessarily in UFOs, but I think it's absurd to believe there isn't other life within or outside of this universe. It's impossible that we're the only things to exist anywhere, in my opinion.

I agree on the thinking we're alone in this universe part fully. It would be very vein to think that we are the only life forms in this vast universe.

And I know it's spelled bologna, but I refuse to conform to society and spell it that way -puts on dark shades and grins-

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Hubble For This Useful Post:

Aura (12-17-2016)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    9/0
    Mentioned
    Never
    Time Online
    14h 36m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    Quote Originally Posted by Aura View Post

That depends on how probable it is that life (at least as we'd know/define it) would generate spontaneously. The age of the universe is only ~14 billion years. What if life was so rare that the chances of it spontaneously happening were such that there is only a 1% chance of it happening even in 100 trillion years? Then we would probably not see other life, I think.

However, it also depends on how life came to earth. Maybe life developed elsewhere and came to earth on a meteorite. In that case then perhaps there is life on other planets if it spreads in this way. Like maybe it developed on earth first but then a space rock from earth to mars transferred life to mars.

Thanks
    DL/UL
    19/0
    Mentioned
    733 times
    Time Online
    158d 26m
    Avg. Time Online
    57m
    My thoughts?

They are already among us.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pusheen For This Useful Post:

Saitama (12-21-2016),Shizuku (12-19-2016)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    34/0
    Mentioned
    315 times
    Time Online
    49d 2h 15m
    Avg. Time Online
    16m
    One is a complete fool if they believe there is no other life in the Universe. The sheer size is unimaginable. We have no concept of the incredible size and vastness. We can measure it sure but it is very difficult to understand just how large those numbers are and what they represent. Based on that it is simply not feasible to think there is nothing else out there. For some to say there are no other lifeforms is completely naive. If they are in earlier developed Universes they will have tech we have not yet come across. I do believe we are visited though. I had one questionable moment seeing something myself but I am to this day not sure what I saw.

That said I think a lot of observed "UFOs" are misidentifications, nuts cases to begin with, believers that assume everything is what they wish it was;a UFO. So I take sightings with a grain of salt a lot of times.

Want some really disturbing stuff. Check out MUFON. The Mutal UFO Network. They have a shit ton of information. And weirder yet is a UFO sighting tracker, you can search your city and see what others have reported seeing in your area. It is just weird.

MUFON: (you need an account to see links)

UFO sight tracker "UFO Stalker": (you need an account to see links)
    Last edited by Sci_Girl; 12-17-2016 at 11:53 PM.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Sci_Girl For This Useful Post:

Shizuku (12-19-2016)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    9/0
    Mentioned
    Never
    Time Online
    14h 36m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    Not going to use exact numbers, but imagine this situation:

There are 1,000 planets (variable X) in the universe
    Life appears on 1 out of every 100,000,000 planets (variable Y), over the course of <the current age of the universe>.

In this scenario, it wouldn't be very likely at all that there is other life out there.

We can estimate the size of X... very very roughly. But since we have never found life out there before (and even if we had it would not help very much) it is very hard to approximate the value of Y. Like... we can't know Y. At least not right now.

So if Y is much larger than X, then there is probably no other life out there and there never was. But if X is much larger than Y, then there almost certainly is other life out there or at least there was in the past.

(That's another point of discussion: how long does life stick around once it's generated (assuming spontaneously)? If it has a short lifespan and never spreads to other planets, then it will just die off and we'll never see it. But if it spreads to other planets readily, then we would be much much much more likely to encounter some form of life out there. In fact.. once you get a species readily colonizing other star systems than their birth star.. it's very hard to imagine a scenario where they go extinct at all. Eventually they will span the entire universe or at least their own galaxy/cluster.)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    34/0
    Mentioned
    315 times
    Time Online
    49d 2h 15m
    Avg. Time Online
    16m
    Goldilocks hypothesis.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    9/0
    Mentioned
    Never
    Time Online
    14h 36m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    A lot of scientists that think the universe is full of alien life tend to argue that planets residing in the habitable zone in similar conditions to Earth is nearly enough to make life "likely" (or at least not astronomically improbable / statistically impossible).

That's a huge leap of an assumption to make, considering we do not know how life came to be. For all we know, even under perfect conditions, life spontaneously generating could be statistically impossible.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    34/0
    Mentioned
    315 times
    Time Online
    49d 2h 15m
    Avg. Time Online
    16m
    Circular reasoning does not further the discussion.