Thanks
    Mentioned
    34 times
    Time Online
    48m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    There be dragons in the thread...
    If you think about it 70% of their cash to advertise across northern countries is kind of expected.
    People are greedy and t-shirts and transport or them dont come cheap as long as they are heard thats all that matters.

but this hole thing reminds me of the live strong fad back when I was 13
    History repeats itself and since osama is dead we need someone to new hate.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    129/0
    Mentioned
    355 times
    Time Online
    89d 14h 56m
    Avg. Time Online
    30m
    Ironic how the video says he has no supporters, but somehow he still has power. And how Kony had been doing these things for 20 years, and no one cared.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    54/0
    Mentioned
    83 times
    Time Online
    13d 20h 11m
    Avg. Time Online
    4m
    Its completely and utterly pathetic.
    People jump on the bandwagon without a single different perspective.

Thing Uganda is bad? Look at the whole continent. There are people killing each other because they are from different regions, different religions, different languages, different leaders. Its not new, its been happening for eternity. Getting rid of Kony won't change anything. Sure they catch one bad guy but the other bad guys just fill the empty void.

Why don't you look at all the warlords and dictators in other parts of the world too? The middle east is a prime example where shit goes on all the time and people don't give 2 cents because they're 'terrorists'

Hell, North Korea blatantly parades around as a suppressive, abusive, nazi-like dictatorship and has been doing so since the 1950/60's. Has anyone bothered to help the 3 million of its

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Chi For This Useful Post:

potatochips (03-09-2012),Slasher (03-10-2012),SmileYaDead (03-09-2012)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    2/0
    Mentioned
    10 times
    Time Online
    21h 36m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    Quote Originally Posted by Khelddar View Post
    While I think it's good that people are so willing to help out with a "good cause", I think it's extremely important that people stop and think critically about what they're doing/supporting. I actually support Visible Children's point of view not because I'm anti-KONY 2012 or anything like that, but because people need to think about the repercussions that their actions may have.

What worried me the most was the history of retaliation Kony's had -- the result of failed military interventions was the death of so many more children, and IC fighting for more military intervention seems to be counterproductive to me. Yes, Kony needs to be stopped, and yes, maybe IC does have good intentions, but does that mean you can just agree with everything you're given? No. School has taught us to be critical thinkers, along with life itself. It's times like these where we need to put those critical thinking skills to use, I believe.

Additionally, this KONY 2012 campaign seems to be attracting more and more people based on the fact that people are thinking "oh, xxxxxx likes it, so I should like it too". This social bandwagon idea is a big problem, and I can't stress enough over how important it is to be thinking about what you're supporting and what bad things can come out of it. I commend people for wanting to see change, but I don't think throwing your money at a sketchy organization is the right way to achieve it.

Just my opinion, of course.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to potatochips For This Useful Post:

Khelddar (03-09-2012),Slasher (03-10-2012)

Thanks
    DL/UL
    7/0
    Mentioned
    332 times
    Time Online
    N/A
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    I think this sums it up.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    72/0
    Mentioned
    81 times
    Time Online
    1d 17h 23m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    I will go see this movie. It reallt sounds amazing. I want to help those kids.
    I'm often asking myself if removing the boss will make a difference. I don't know. Like for drugs black market, killing the boss won't stop the gang. But we can't stop fighting...

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    6/0
    Mentioned
    11 times
    Time Online
    23h 43m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    I watched the movie a couple of days ago, and dug around afterwards... Kony is a terrible human, but he's not really in power anymore. If he is caught/killed, his supporters will just take over and carry on, they're already doing that pretty much. It's nice to make people aware, but...still aren't going for the right solution.