This thread will be for Hockey chat during the 2016-2017 season. For all you hockey fans out there know that the season begins Oct. 12!

I know it is early but pre-season does start next week. For some of us fans we are itching for the season to start, effed up Oilers did not make the playoffs again so no hockey team to cheer for since April.

Here is a useful NHL link to summarize the happenings of the upcoming season.

(you need an account to see links)

Dates to remember:
  • Season begins October 12th and ends April 9th
  • NHL Centennial Classic game is New Years Day. Toronto Maple Leafs vs Detroit Red Wings (outdoor game).
  • January 2nd is the Winter Classic game. Chicago (yet again) is in it with it being Chicago Black Hawks vs. St. Louis Blues (outdoor game).
  • NHL Heritage Classic is on October 23rd. Edmonton Oilers vs Winnipeg Jets. (GO OILERS!!!) (outdoor game).
  • NHL Stadium Series game is February 25th. Pittsburgh Penguins vs. Philadelphia Flyers (outdoor game).
  • All-Star break January 27-30. All-Star game is January 29th, not that anyone cares as it is a stupid dumb game.- Not sure the NHL will allow fans to vote for players like last year lol

Another thing to note you can participate in NHL Fantasy Leagues. I do not like to spend money on these so there are free options through:

I personally prefer the Yahoo Sports one. I find it is the easiest to use.

Later in the season there is also the option to join various NHL Playoff Brackets. If you can predict the winners you can win some good money through those.

There was also mention early in the season that the goalie equipment changes would be happening for this upcoming season. That was the goal. However it looks like that is not going to be the case for awhile. New pad sizes were supposed to be in effect on the first day but delays in design and actually placing the order has now set that date back. No one is really sure when the total equipment change will come into effect, it does need to happen though. (you need an account to see links)

Don't hesitate to post some highlight reel goals too. There is some wicked talent out there.

Connor McDavid is our source of highlight goals:

Good luck to all your chosen teams!!