54/0
    Mentioned
    24 times
    Time Online
    14d 5h 59m
    Avg. Time Online
    7m

Net neutrality

Found this on Reddit (/neopets and /pcmasterrace) and I'm quite worried about it.

Apparently there's a discussion going on about net neutrality and it's pretty much a repeal from certain rules from 2015 that prevented broadband companies from blocking or slowing down access to websites or services.
    If it's approved, all data on the Internet won't be "treated" the same.
    There may, or may not, be discrimination, allowing companies to charge differently by user, content, website, platform, etc.

According to CNET:
    What is net neutrality again?
    Net neutrality is the principle that all traffic on the internet should be treated equally, regardless of whether you're checking Facebook, posting pictures to Instagram or streaming movies from Netflix or Amazon. It also means that companies like AT&T, which is trying to buy Time Warner, or Comcast, which owns NBC Universal, can't favor their own content over a competitor's content.

So what just happened?
    Pai, who became FCC chairman after President Trump took office, on Tuesday published a proposal to eliminate the current net neutrality regulations, which prohibit broadband providers from blocking or slowing down traffic and ban them from offering so-called fast lanes to companies willing to pay extra to reach consumers more quickly than competitors.
    But the proposal's most significant change is to strip the FCC of its authority to regulate broadband and instead shift that responsibility to the Federal Trade Commission. Under the 2015 rules, the FCC reclassified broadband as a utility, which gave it the authority to regulate broadband infrastructure much as it did the old telephone network. The proposal would strip away that classification.
    If you want to read more about it, here's the link to CNET's article: (you need an account to see links).
    Post on /pcmasterrace: (you need an account to see links).

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    8/0
    Mentioned
    Never
    Time Online
    17h 11m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    Net Neutrality affects everyone. The internet should not be regulated like the FCC wants. Although the proposal is expected to go through, thousands and thousands of people are fighting to block it, and in the event that it does go through, repeal it

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    23/0
    Mentioned
    3 times
    Time Online
    17h 15m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    And sadly it has now been repealed. Really hope we can turn things around soon.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    23/0
    Mentioned
    13 times
    Time Online
    18d 14h 47m
    Avg. Time Online
    11m
    i might just be ignorant (wouldnt surprise me), but i dont see the huge issue with it. yes, i understand that it has the potential to be horrible now that it is repealed, but pre-2015, i dont remember any differences in my internet speeds. nothing to make a big note of i guess.
    i hope companies will remain responsible and realize just how angry they can make their consumer and spark them to switch providers based on these decisions. ideally, they would just charge the other companies more to keep their speeds the same or possibly faster, like google paying to be faster than bing, but bing not necessarily being slowed down.

again, i think im just incredibly ignorant

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Jumbo Shrimp For This Useful Post:

gamerkid1 (01-26-2018)

Thanks
    DL/UL
    12/0
    Mentioned
    53 times
    Time Online
    21d 5h 5m
    Avg. Time Online
    7m
    Anything changed since the last post about this? I'm not american but I heard that makes a precedent even to other countries and I think this can be a problem D:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    Never
    Time Online
    10h 55m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    It seems that ISPs want to turn the internet into cable TV. I just hope that the price of keeping everything stays the same as it is today. If things get really bad, I have reliable (you need an account to see links) with high-speed and unlimited access to the blocked content.

Pronouns
    She/Her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    80/0
    Mentioned
    58 times
    Time Online
    36d 18h 35m
    Avg. Time Online
    21m

this could affect all the countries with which it is neighboring USA and all those internet sites could control them directly from USA, so I hope I'm wrong. why would we have an internet like in (china, japan, etc.), which is all forbidden, I'm not an expert on the subject but something like that I understand

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    7/0
    Mentioned
    28 times
    Time Online
    29d 13h 39m
    Avg. Time Online
    15m
    lmao you guys didnt even know what net neutrality was before it existed or when it was initiated. I hate to break it to you, but nothing will change, and if spuds on social media didnt cuase a mass hysteria over it, no one would really care. But everyone was tricked into thinking "i'll have to pay $2.00 a month for facebook, or $1.00 a month for snapchat" and that bs narrative. If you don't believe me, please point out one difference from your ISP since it was repealed. I usually don't comment on things like this, but sometimes people make me laugh

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    77/0
    Mentioned
    4 times
    Time Online
    21d 6h 7m
    Avg. Time Online
    11m
    It'll affect the way people use and interact with the internet, and it may kill small websites too, sadly it went thru.