Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The Black Lives Matter Movement, in light of recent events?

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    3/0
    Mentioned
    248 times
    Time Online
    58d 6h 40m
    Avg. Time Online
    22m
    Quote Originally Posted by paradox View Post
    I really don't understand why the KKK is seen as bad by everyone but white surpremacists but the BLM movement gets the green light everywhere.

Are they not similar? I certainly think so. They preach the same things (black hate, white hate, kill all "X" race here). They disrupt pride parades, shut down libraries, constantly preach about how white people are the devil, hate cops (who aren't all bad - those who commit crimes and abuse power must be prosecuted, but that's another matter) who defend citizens and without them everyone would be screwed, etc...I just have no idea how people can support them.

They started out as a group raising awareness for the injustice around black lives (which is commendable), but it derailed quickly and is now just a hate movement. Every time a video of them surfaces on social media it's always featuring their members screaming and unable to deal with the situation rationally.
    Your ignorance is astounding. If you think the Black Lives Matter movement is a hate movement then you're part of the problem.

I love Jess

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Roslyn For This Useful Post:

Aura (07-10-2016),Clair (07-11-2016),Lazuli (07-10-2016),Mindfang (07-10-2016),Sakuras (07-12-2016)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    5/0
    Mentioned
    19 times
    Time Online
    2d 1h 5m
    Avg. Time Online
    1m
    BLM is in no way a hate movement. It is simply a protest against the discrimination of African Americans and what they represent. Its a way for them to stop being looked at as "lesser beings".

Stay down, you do not want to get up.

Thanks
    DL/UL
    84/1
    Mentioned
    533 times
    Time Online
    134d 9h 16m
    Avg. Time Online
    52m
    I'll never understand the Black Lives Matter movement.

While I'm all for equality, they're going about it the wrong way. As people have mentioned previously in this thread, they are going about it in a sense where "If you're not 100% with us, then you're against us".
    That's not true.
    In today's society black lives hold no value more than whites, mexicans, asians. Nor do males hold any value above females, or any other gender, though that's another topic. All lives are equal, regardless of how much people refuse to acknowledge that.

A cop, while they may hold more power than an unarmed civilian is not worth more than the unarmed civilian. A construction worked, isn't worth less than a doctor. A student isn't worth less whoever the hell you want to compare them to.

Everybody who reads this, I want you to take a step back and consider something. Where would Martin Luther King be on this movement? Would he be with the Black Lives Matter movement, or would he be against it?
    He'd be against it.
    Martin Luther King Jr. was not advocating simply black rights. While he was advocating that they get better rights in the society, he never held them above any other race. He wasn't trying to pit the blacks against the whites. He was trying to unify EVERYONE together. You here about his most known speech, "I Have a Dream". But that man had many other speeches, and people never acknowledge them, and people often don't understand them or what he was trying to do.
    Are the leaders of BLM really going to say that Martin Luther King was against the black oppression? I sure as shit hope not.

Now, on to the police shootings.

Black Lives Matter should be advocating different media coverage. A more fair media coverage.
    There are more unarmed white males shot and killed by police than there are unarmed black males shot by police. A simple Google search will show this.
    For instance, we all know about Ferguson and what happened. At the same time that all happened, there was an unarmed white male (18 years old I believe) shot and killed in Salt Lake City. But did the media cove it? They didn't. In July of last year, an unarmed white male was shot over marijuana possession. The officer was tried, but no charges were ever able to be pressed contrary to the families outrage.

So why is it such a big deal when an unarmed black male gets shot?
    Because people love controversy and shit. Why does the media showcase the shooting of an unarmed black male? Because it causes controversy and shit.

If a white man were to get shot today. Unarmed, no reason to be shot right. Would the media broadcast it? No.
    Would the populace react to it negatively? No. It's just another white death.
    But if a black male gets shot 6 months down the road once all this is over. What's going to happen?
    We're going to see more cop killings, and riots because the slaying will be broadcasted and people eat that shit up to spark hate.

And if people really wanna get down to the knitty gritty in arguments and bring up slavery, and say whites are racist because of the slave days 150 years ago. Let me point out a few things.

1.) No living white person in America to this day, owned a slave.
    2.) No living black person in America to this day, was a slave.
    3.) Slavery in the states was originally introduced by a black merchant from Africa who brought over blacks specifically FOR TRADE.
    A black man sold other black people off to the white man. So if you really wanna be pissed at that stuff. Blame it on that guy.

You can't hate white people because they owned a slave 150 years ago. None of the living white people today did.
    You can't hate and kill cops because there was a corrupt cop killing. Killing a cop could have just killed someone who was on your side about an unjustified cop killing.
    You can't say that all people are of one group.

Not all cops are bad.
    Not all whites are racist.
    Not all blacks are gangbangers and criminals.
    And not all Mopheads are dickheads.

Think I got derailed a little somewhere in there.
    But the Black Lives Matter movement is just the epitome of awful right now.

5. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Mophead For This Useful Post:

Amber (07-10-2016),Bexxie (07-11-2016),kat. (12-26-2016),Mama Bear (07-11-2016),P h o e n i x (08-21-2016),Sakuras (07-12-2016),Urbex (07-10-2016),Witchy1 (07-15-2016)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    66/0
    Mentioned
    63 times
    Time Online
    9d 2h 21m
    Avg. Time Online
    3m
    @(you need an account to see links)
    I totally agree with you.

However, Regarding MLK, you may be surprised. He was responsible for a lot of bad stuff. You should read into it.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    29/0
    Mentioned
    101 times
    Time Online
    28d 2h 56m
    Avg. Time Online
    13m
    I completely agree with you. I think we have a lot of the same views on this sort of stuff based on our two posts.
    I agree especially with the point you made about the media. White people get killed all the time for no reason but there isn't race riots and media coverage about it. Why? Because that news won't sell. Nobody will care. I'm not saying we need media coverage of these events, but it's interesting to see the bias that the media has and the biases that its viewers have.

Everyone is equal and to claim that your movement is about equal rights when you say that every white person is a "part of the problem" seems highly contradictory to me.
    What makes you say that? What do you think about this issue?
    Just saying everybody is wrong doesn't help contribute to the discussion nor will it fix anything
    PM me to see what I have up for sale! Always selling UCs/NP/Accounts!
    Offering free PIN cracks to Clraik rank (and higher!), just shoot me a PM.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Urbex For This Useful Post:

Mophead (07-10-2016)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    13/0
    Mentioned
    10 times
    Time Online
    14d 18h 41m
    Avg. Time Online
    7m
    Quote Originally Posted by Angie View Post
    If you think the Black Lives Matter movement is a hate movement then you're part of the problem.
    Why, though, can't those who are with BLM recognize its flaws? Even its potential flaws? Even how people can possibly perceive it as a hate movement? I don't view it as a hate movement--I like to believe that there are extremely well-meaning people who are a part of it and that its heart is not one of violence, hate, and racism--but I can certainly see how people would see it as a hate movement with the police killings, the terrible things said to and about cops and white folk in general by an increasing number of people who are supposed to belong to an extremely small minority of BLM, and the distasteful protests (before I am misquoted, I'm not saying that all of their protests are distasteful). This view that if you dare receive the wrong impression of us or dare to perceive us in a way in which we don't want to come across, you're the enemy is something I find extremely problematic. This is something that I think is one of the fundamental flaws of BLM: it's the general logic behind "you received the wrong impression of me; therefore it's your fault that you did, regardless of my actions that may have contributed."

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    3/0
    Mentioned
    248 times
    Time Online
    58d 6h 40m
    Avg. Time Online
    22m
    How blessed some of you are for not being able to understand what the Black Lives Matter Movement is actually about or feel empathy for the minorities that are asking for their basic human rights to be met. All the blanket statements in this thread, "They" and "Them" and "Their." The language here from some of you is simple evidence in of privilege.

Thousands of peaceful protesters. Black families of victims encouraging peaceful protests. Seriously. But let's blame all of "them" because of the angry extremist BUT woah woah woah black people, not all whites are bad.
    If you believe there isn't widespread racism in this country, well, that explains your rhetoric. "I like to believe there are extremely well-meaning people..." Really? Do you? Because that statement in itself is a reflection of skepticism. Of course the BLM movement would mean nothing to you because you don't believe there is racism... Or at least, in your opinion, enough" racism to justify the outcry.

I love Jess

11. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Roslyn For This Useful Post:

Aura (07-11-2016),Clair (07-11-2016),Lincoln (07-12-2016),Mindfang (07-12-2016)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    13/0
    Mentioned
    10 times
    Time Online
    14d 18h 41m
    Avg. Time Online
    7m
    @(you need an account to see links), I can tell that your post has a hint of bitterness, and I don't really want to debate to the point of getting anyone upset here--I don't want to offend anyone because I'm not against any single individuals--but before I answer your last response, I just want to point out that you never addressed my question about why nobody who supports BLM will acknowledge its flaws/potential flaws. Do you see it as a movement that hasn't caused any problems or can cause no problems? Can you not see why some are concerned about it? You say that those of us here who are against BLM don't have any empathy for those who experience racism (and while I think most here who have expressed that we see problems with BLM have shown that we still do care about the black population that has and does experience racism, that's beside my point), but BLM as I've witnessed it doesn't (and you in your own post don't) show empathy or demonstrate understanding for those who believe differently about BLM or have possibly received the wrong impression. I mentioned in my last post some of the negative things that have been associated with BLM. I think we can agree they aren't good things, regardless of what we believe caused them or who is to blame. Can't you understand why someone who sees cops being killed at BLM protests would get the wrong impression of BLM? Can't you understand why those who have friends and family members who are cops and have received the wrong impression of BLM are upset? Can't you show understanding to those people and then gently explain what you believe and why their impressions are wrong instead of instantly condemning and saying "you're part of the problem" so harshly?

Now I'll answer to what you've said. Blanket statements are flying both ways in this thread and in the entire debate. I've read countless messages that begin "dear white people" in the past week, and I don't have a problem with it personally, as long as generalized statements are accepted for all parties and as long as people can look past them intelligently. But, as you said, blanket statements aren't accepted right now, and that's when I'd just appreciate the concern for blanket statements go both ways. That's where I'm coming from with that one.

Next, as for the blaming peaceful protesters part, I don't blame the peaceful protestors. As I mentioned above, I am bothered by BLM's failure to take a real look at its methods, its message, and its influence. It does not and will not take responsibility for any problems it might cause--and not just problems caused by lone wolves here and there.

In the post you've referred to, I said that I believe "true racism" isn't as widespread as it's made out to be. What I mean by that is that I do not believe that there are widespread numbers of white people who hate black people in general and black people who hate white people in general, just for the color of their skin. I come back to fear as an example of a root of racist actions absent true racism. I do not consider a black man who is afraid of white cops because he has experienced brutal white cops to be truly racist. If he flinches at the sight of every white cop and not at the sight of a black cop, it is, by definition, a racist behavior. But he's not acting on hate; he's acting on fear, and he probably wouldn't be afraid of a white man if he encountered one in a doctor's uniform, for example, and he probably wouldn't say he hates all white people. The same can be true for people of any race in so many scenarios. I don't praise these inclinations, but I understand them. So that's another reason why I feel like BLM isn't the answer, because it's not easing people's fears that fuel much of the "racism" (only placing in quotations because it's different from how I've been defining it, not saying that it's not racism by definition) we see. It's not bettering the reputations of the nonviolent black individuals whom cops are skeptical of because of their encounters, and it's not bettering the reputations of nonviolent cops whom black individuals are skeptical of because of their encounters. It's only feeding the two, because it is forcing opposing encounters between black individuals and cops. And just so this is clear, I am not against justice for black individuals who are victims of racism. I am for it. All I've said is that BLM isn't the way.

"I like to believe" is a statement that reflects my level of knowledge. I have not had a first-hand encounter with an official BLM protest. I have only seen comments from individuals (friends, family, acquaintances alike) on social media, and they have been extremely negative, so I am skeptical but unsettled about my view of all BLM participants, so I choose to remain optimistic based on what I think but acknowledge my inability to speak with certainty. To be fair, I do not want base my view of all of BLM's participants entirely on my limited encounters.
    Last edited by starlin; 07-11-2016 at 05:32 PM.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    3/0
    Mentioned
    248 times
    Time Online
    58d 6h 40m
    Avg. Time Online
    22m

The Black Lives Matter Movement, in light of recent events?

tl;dr

I don't consider extremists and the Black Lives Matter movement synonymous. Simple as that. Clearly you do. Not going to argue with you if that's what you believe.

Lol. Bitterness. Ignorance is perhaps one of my least favorite traits in a person.

edit:
    Just for clarity I don't have time to read what you wrote. Regardless, as a rule of thumb I don't try to argue with people who have already decided what they believe.
    Last edited by Roslyn; 07-11-2016 at 11:59 PM.

I love Jess

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    81/3
    Mentioned
    451 times
    Time Online
    187d 15h 9m
    Avg. Time Online
    1h 9m
    Quote Originally Posted by Peridot View Post
    call it whatever you want, but i feel my dislike of all cops is justified. you choose to be in that system knowing how corrupt it is, thats an issue with you in my eyes.
    Oh, because it's impossible that somebody wants to become a police officer so that they can actually help people and make a difference in their community? Yeah, of course they know there's corruption going into it, but I don't understand how that makes you think of them as less than anybody else. Be the change you want to see in the world. Not everybody that becomes a cop is in it for bad reasons. Most aren't.

Also, it pisses me off so much when people say stupid shit like this:
    where you see all these cute little stories with cops visiting white peoples house parties and smoking pot with them, then the fact black people have their deaths justified because they smoked a joint or drew a pot leaf on a desk once.
    You're literally nitpicking certain one off events without any context or evidence whatsoever. Link me to a news article about somebody being killed for drawing a pot leaf. Link me to a "cute story" about cops smoking with white people at a party. You're exaggerating on both ends of the spectrum, making it seem like there's a bigger gap between how white/black people are treated on average. You're part of the fucking problem. The media does the same shit because it gets people mad, gets them reading/watching more, which makes them money. They blow shit way out of proportion so that they get clicks. It's fucked up, it makes people scared of shit that really, you don't have to worry about. The chances of a cop shooting/killing/arresting you if you're not doing anything wrong is slim to none.

America is fucked up. No matter what happens, there will be people that generalize and blow shit way out of proportion, either for their own gain or some other reason. There are certainly things that could be fixed, but that is one of the biggest problems in my opinion. Everyone just chill the fuck out.

Selling everything - PM me what you're looking for!

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ghosts For This Useful Post:

Mama Bear (07-12-2016),Mophead (07-12-2016),potatoespotate (07-12-2016)