Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: The Black Lives Matter Movement, in light of recent events?

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    34/0
    Mentioned
    315 times
    Time Online
    49d 2h 15m
    Avg. Time Online
    16m
    The better way is starting to teach your kids now that we are all equal. Behavior needs to change. The current people are lost to their own opinions so they will not bring about good change. It starts with teaching our little ones to be respectful, to be good individuals, and to be caring of everyone around. Start with them young and they learn not to hate, not to cause trouble, not to make everyone else around afraid of what they may do next. Change comes from wanting it, so far the US is not wanting good change. They want to scream they are right and everyone else is wrong.

If the ltitle ones, the future generation, can be good people and not encite so much hate then maybe just maybe change can happen.
    Last edited by Sci_Girl; 07-08-2016 at 03:53 PM.

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Sci_Girl For This Useful Post:

Amber (07-08-2016),Ghosts (07-12-2016),Mama Bear (07-08-2016),Sakuras (07-12-2016),starlin (07-08-2016)

Pronouns
    she/her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    172/0
    Mentioned
    657 times
    Time Online
    182d 5h 28m
    Avg. Time Online
    1h 15m
    Quote Originally Posted by Peridot View Post
    its necessary and cops are racist pigs who kill black people literally every day just for shit they praise white people for.
    Generalising large groups with the descriptors of some members is indeed troubling (pretty sure I've replied to you in the past about generalising, but anyway). For example, that black men are criminals/armed/dangerous. That perpetuates harmful thinking. Another example is that all cops are racist pigs. To tar all with the same brush is not only ignorant and wrong, but it's also harmful thinking.

Are there some African-American males who ARE criminals/armed/dangerous? Yes. Are there some cops who ARE racist/corrupt? Yes. But in both cases, there are many who do not fit that description. There is a problem with the system, definitely. I just cannot help but see it as hypocritical though when you're hating an entire group because of some of its members. As cynical as it is, there are going to be bad apples in any societal group. There are shifty lawyers, but that doesn't mean they all are. There are some priests who are child molesters; not all of them are. There are jaded teachers only in it for the paycheck, but that doesn't mean I am. Resorting to petty name-calling and a "fuck the police"-type attitude does zero to address the major issues. It just creates another barrier of ignorance and hate that is an obstacle to improvement.

May I also ask what "shit they praise white people for" you're talking about?

4. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Mama Bear For This Useful Post:

Amber (07-08-2016),Aska (07-09-2016),Aura (07-08-2016),Clair (07-09-2016),Ghosts (07-12-2016),Irohh (07-09-2016),Jeongyeon (07-08-2016),Raichuu (07-09-2016),Sakuras (07-12-2016),starlin (07-08-2016),Urbex (07-09-2016),Witchy1 (07-15-2016)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    66/0
    Mentioned
    63 times
    Time Online
    9d 2h 21m
    Avg. Time Online
    3m
    the BLM movement is a joke. If the people that were affiliated with that group actually believed in that statement, instead of protesting every time a black suspect is shot by the police, they would address the real issues. Blacks kill more of their own race each year than whites killing blacks and also cops killing blacks. In fact, cops kill more white suspects than black suspects in a year.
    Some people argue that due to African Americans making up a smaller percentage of the population, that ratio should reflect in police killing statistics. Well, they should go and read the statistics that say that although African Americans make up about 13% of the total pop of USA, they commit more than half of all total crime.

BLM is itself a racist organisation based on hate - one of the founding members is a cop killer. Her name is Assata Shakur. These people are radicals and it was only a matter of time before they inspired something like this Dallas shooting incidence.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to jongeh For This Useful Post:

kat. (12-26-2016)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    29/0
    Mentioned
    101 times
    Time Online
    28d 2h 56m
    Avg. Time Online
    13m
    I'm all for equality for everyone. I don't support the BLM group. They preach white-hate and they're based on themes of division and hatred, that's not something I can stand behind. Their attitude of "If you're not 100% for us, you're 100% against us" pisses me off too.

I treat everyone as equal, that goes for blacks, whites, gays, straights, Christians, Muslims, whatever the group. Why can't I support equal rights without joining a group based solely on hating those not in the group? The media does an awfully good job of making racist cops seem like a majority and making black aggressive men seem like a majority. This isn't a black people vs. white people issue and groups that are turning this into that are very wrong.

I also find the name very annoying. Black lives do matter. Nobody is arguing that. But ALL lives matter. Black lives do not matter more than white lives just as white lives do not matter more than black lives. Anyone who says "all lives matter" is disrespectful, in my mind, is confused as to what equality means.
    PM me to see what I have up for sale! Always selling UCs/NP/Accounts!
    Offering free PIN cracks to Clraik rank (and higher!), just shoot me a PM.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Urbex For This Useful Post:

kat. (12-26-2016)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    29/0
    Mentioned
    39 times
    Time Online
    15d 1h 20m
    Avg. Time Online
    6m
    (you need an account to see links)

The BLM movement hijacked a vigil for victims for the Orlando shooting. That kind of disrespect is why I don't support them

Thanks
    DL/UL
    15/0
    Mentioned
    208 times
    Time Online
    98d 13h 33m
    Avg. Time Online
    38m
    Quote Originally Posted by bacchus View Post
    Generalising large groups with the descriptors of some members is indeed troubling (pretty sure I've replied to you in the past about generalising, but anyway). For example, that black men are criminals/armed/dangerous. That perpetuates harmful thinking. Another example is that all cops are racist pigs. To tar all with the same brush is not only ignorant and wrong, but it's also harmful thinking.

Are there some African-American males who ARE criminals/armed/dangerous? Yes. Are there some cops who ARE racist/corrupt? Yes. But in both cases, there are many who do not fit that description. There is a problem with the system, definitely. I just cannot help but see it as hypocritical though when you're hating an entire group because of some of its members. As cynical as it is, there are going to be bad apples in any societal group. There are shifty lawyers, but that doesn't mean they all are. There are some priests who are child molesters; not all of them are. There are jaded teachers only in it for the paycheck, but that doesn't mean I am. Resorting to petty name-calling and a "fuck the police"-type attitude does zero to address the major issues. It just creates another barrier of ignorance and hate that is an obstacle to improvement.

May I also ask what "shit they praise white people for" you're talking about?
    i dont trust police because they have systematic power over people and use it to their advantage. i really dont believe in "good cops". generalising sure is bad, but i cannot look at anyone in the police force and feel any level of safety. i feel especially unsafe if police are around, because i know they have the power to hurt me for any reason. i dont feel pity for police, because being an officer or anything like that is a choice, being a minority (in my case Not A CisHet, in the threads case Not White). they accept the danger of being killed on the job as they sign up for it, black people do not sign up for police brutality when they are born black, but they receive it regardless.

i dont generalise people as a general rule, but after run-ins with multiple types of people that fall into the same category of person that all gave me a reason to dislike them, generalising just makes sense to me personally, and its something i do for my own safety. not all cops are bad, but the ones ive met, the ones ive read about, the ones who use their power to kill black people, are the ones i see most of, and are the ones i avoid all cops just to make sure i never have a run-in with one of the bad ones.
    you have a 6 pack of sodas and you sip 2 and both are piss, youre not gonna fuckin open and sip the rest because of the danger theyre also probably piss.

call it whatever you want, but i feel my dislike of all cops is justified. you choose to be in that system knowing how corrupt it is, thats an issue with you in my eyes.

also, maybe "praise" wasnt the right word, but white people DO get away with a lot of shit black people get gunned down/beaten for. too lazy to dig up articles and examples, but take into account the whites walking around target with assault rifles on their backs, and then take into account the black 12 year old who was gunned down for playing with a toy gun. the white people who literally hold guns to peoples heads and get off with either a warning or some jailtime, and the blacks who even walk down the street with a gun they have a right to hold (isnt that the big debate right now?) and are gunned down, and THEN take into account, outside the case of guns, where you see all these cute little stories with cops visiting white peoples house parties and smoking pot with them, then the fact black people have their deaths justified because they smoked a joint or drew a pot leaf on a desk once.

blm is necessary because in a world where black people are killed by the handful every week, it feels like theyre expendable by everyone and nobody feels differently. when you need entire movements to prove to people youre human and need basic respect from those meant to protect and serve, you know theres an issue.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    37/0
    Mentioned
    376 times
    Time Online
    58d 1h 52m
    Avg. Time Online
    22m
    Racism is taught. Hate is taught. Police corruption is a problem. The public needs to rise up and shut the government down and dismantle it completely to start from scratch. Violence will not accomplish this, unless our voices lead to direct violence, then I say it's warranted. No innocent lives should be lost for any reason. I am sickened by the deaths of the innocent black men, I am also sickened by the deaths of the police officers in Dallas. The media is pulling each group of people further apart from one another to further the government's agenda to keep taking our rights away; and it's fucking working. Period. A civil war will happen.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    13/0
    Mentioned
    10 times
    Time Online
    14d 18h 54m
    Avg. Time Online
    7m
    @(you need an account to see links), your experiences, like those of so many others, have caused you to develop a fear of law enforcement. That's not wrong; that's human nature. Fear is a survival instinct.

But I do know good cops. A dear friend of mine pulled over a vehicle routinely for speeding two weeks ago. The driver turned out to be a [black] man who had eight warrants out for his arrest. When the cop returned to his car to request backup because of the man's record of violence, the man exited his car and began running away and shooting at my friend, the cop. Thankfully my friend is okay, but he'll certainly carry that impression, that fear, with him for the rest of his career. And can you blame him?

The unfortunate truth, as statistics and our own observations of the world show, as unpopular as it is to say, is that cops have an imbalanced number of dangerous encounters with black individuals, because many neighborhoods in which crime rates are high have predominantly black populations (yes, poverty among said communities that breeds some of these problems is an issue that needs to be addressed too). So when cops have numerous scary run-ins with a specific group of people, they're naturally going to be more fearful and on-guard with those of that group. Is it fair to those who belong to that group who are peaceful and law-abiding? No, of course not. But, just like your generalized fear of all cops that is unfair to the good cops, it's human nature. Cops are human too. Are some cops racist and/or hateful? Of course. But are some black individuals racist and/or hateful. Yes too.

Point is, a solution won't be reached until we realize that there is responsibility on both sides and respond with compassion to each other's different fears. People of the black community in general have to work to teach their children that aggression and confrontation aren't how to engage with people; those in law enforcement in general have to fight their race-based skepticism and be held to the same standards as others; those who act out in true racism need to be punished, whether black, white, cop, unemployed, gay, straight, whatever; and the media has to stop fueling the fears of both sides. True racism, I believe, isn't as widespread as the media would have you to believe, and its portrayal adds to the fears that black individuals feel, as I have seen in my own friends. And the media portrays black individuals as criminals if given the opportunity, regardless of the circumstances surrounding their stories, thus perpetuating cops' (and others') fears of them, as I have also witnessed in my friends.
    Last edited by starlin; 07-09-2016 at 02:07 PM.

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to starlin For This Useful Post:

Amber (07-10-2016),kat. (12-26-2016),Witchy1 (07-15-2016)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    1/0
    Mentioned
    128 times
    Time Online
    64d 11h 12m
    Avg. Time Online
    22m
    @(you need an account to see links) A way that helped me to understand the "Black Lives Matter": It's kind of like if someone is having a breast cancer rally, and then someone else comes in saying but what about lung cancer? Lung cancer matters too!!

It's not that saying black lives matter means that all lives don't matter, of course they do. It's just that I think all white people have a sense that their lives are important and a degree of safety in that respect. Whereas to see people who are singled out because they are the same race as you, and to be pretty much executed by someone who is meant to protect them (a police man), and to see this happen over and over. It seems like their lives don't matter then. So it's not that Black lives matter more than anyone elses, in fact that's the problem is that right now it's seeming like they really don't matter to the justice system

I think a more accurate name for the movement is "Black Lives Matter Too".

One thing that my friends have tried to explain to me who are POC is that being able to see everyone as equal, is actually part of white privilege as well. That we have the luxury to live in a "color blind" world, only white people would ever say that. Because if you aren't white, it is constantly pointed out to you by our society. And how if you are white, you are naturally a part of the white oppression, whether you want to be or not, just because it is ingrained into the current state of our society and we always benefit from it whether we realize it or not. This doesn't mean you or I are a bad person, just something that is important to be aware of and sensitive to.

That being said I agree it is hard to deal with the 100% with us or 100% against us attitude that some people have. And I have lost friendships over it actually, a girl who used to be my best friend she gets super angry about it and it would feel like I was being attacked. And it became more and more until this was all she ever wanted to talk about. It started to feel like she saw me first as white and second as her friend, whereas for me she was always first and foremost my friend even while I wanted to respect her identity as a black woman. When I expressed this to her she said that it was again my luxury as a white person that I could see her first as a friend. I don't think I can agree with that. It's hard to feel scared to be attacked all the time, or be excluded often by your friend group from events or topics or having an opinion or a voice just because of your race. And also feeling like these feeling of sadness or exclusion in my own friend group aren't valid at all, just because it isn't the case within the whole of our university or the nation. My feelings based on our personal relationship don't matter to her as much as her feelings based on the macro oppression that is present in society. I still support her so much and wish the best for her and completely support the BLM as well but it became too hard to continue being close because the way she wanted to deal with it (as is her right) just tore us apart.

I think a very natural response is to fight the hate with more hate, or more accurately righteous anger and generalized mistrust that looks like hate. Perfect example of the "eye for an eye leaves the whole world blind" was the police execution followed by the killing of policemen. Or the Baltimore riots. Or on a smaller level of attacking someone instead of trying to help them understand. But then the violence just escalates. I can never know what it feels like, so who am I to tell people how they should respond to things? I guess I just feel like it would be more successful to respond peacefully, cause all this violence and hate just leads to more and more mistrust and divisiveness. And it's important to note that the vast majority of the BLM movement is peaceful but there will always be outliers.
    Last edited by Clair; 07-09-2016 at 03:13 PM.

(you need an account to see links)

Thank you to Monsters for this beautiful gif. <3 (It died with tinypic, press F)
    @Andrew 15!!!!

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    20/0
    Mentioned
    19 times
    Time Online
    5d 17h 5m
    Avg. Time Online
    2m
    I really don't understand why the KKK is seen as bad by everyone but white surpremacists but the BLM movement gets the green light everywhere.

Are they not similar? I certainly think so. They preach the same things (black hate, white hate, kill all "X" race here). They disrupt pride parades, shut down libraries, constantly preach about how white people are the devil, hate cops (who aren't all bad - those who commit crimes and abuse power must be prosecuted, but that's another matter) who defend citizens and without them everyone would be screwed, etc...I just have no idea how people can support them.

They started out as a group raising awareness for the injustice around black lives (which is commendable), but it derailed quickly and is now just a hate movement. Every time a video of them surfaces on social media it's always featuring their members screaming and unable to deal with the situation rationally.