Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The Black Lives Matter Movement, in light of recent events?

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    13/0
    Mentioned
    10 times
    Time Online
    14d 18h 41m
    Avg. Time Online
    7m

The Black Lives Matter Movement, in light of recent events?

I've been a blubbering baby all evening over the recent events here in the US involving the deaths of two black men at the hands of police and the deaths of four unrelated police officers in the midst of those protesting in the names of the two deceased men. It's heartbreaking, and I also find it quite scary.

So I turned to Facebook--sifted through the comments to trending media, read the posts of my less word-shy friends--and I was even more appalled. I've always held inwardly that the issues addressed by the Black Lives Matter Movement (BLM) are complex, and, quite frankly, I've found the movement itself (not its ultimate goal but many of its actions, perspectives, attitudes, sub-goals) to be a very wrong approach for bringing about justice for the men wrongfully killed. Apparently, though, according to the kind words of some family members and friends from behind their computer screens, if I cannot wholeheartedly jump to the support of BLM now, I'm "part of the problem." The posts are everywhere; if you fit one of the vague descriptions on this list, "You're part of the problem." They're often accompanied on personal feeds by "and tell me so I can block you." One thing I know for sure: I don't want to associate with that cold, divisive, hateful aggression.

So, with Facebook giving me no outlet for my sadness and concern (and with none of said family members or friends knowing that their words actually hurt people, even if they're borrowed from others and spoken online), I find myself taking to ck. I've found that this community is usually good at holding intelligent, level-headed conversation, so I'm really wondering what you guys are thinking right now. I'll jump in with more of what I think in a bit, but for now I'll take the standpoint of being an individual brokenhearted over the lives lost but an individual who is not for the Black Lives Matter Movement in its current form. (Or for the way that these men's deaths, unfortunately, are necessitating a debate that, despite the very point of the debate, ends up dehumanizing them. I hope their deaths can bring about more good somehow than what seems to be coming as a result.)

So what are your thoughts at that point? For BLM? Against? What's the right approach here?
    Last edited by starlin; 07-08-2016 at 12:36 AM.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    18/0
    Mentioned
    86 times
    Time Online
    53d 14h 20m
    Avg. Time Online
    21m
    The shots came from above the protesters. Until we have a suspect, it's not good to point fingers, and some people seem to be using this tragedy as political ammunition against BLM.

I just can't stand people using the term 'all lives matter' to respond to BLM.
    Be sure you put your feet in the right place, then stand firm.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lincoln For This Useful Post:

Clair (07-09-2016),hissi (07-08-2016)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    13/0
    Mentioned
    10 times
    Time Online
    14d 18h 41m
    Avg. Time Online
    7m
    Quote Originally Posted by Chance View Post
    The shots came from above the protesters. Until we have a suspect, it's not good to point fingers, and some people seem to be using this tragedy as political ammunition against BLM.

I just can't stand people using the term 'all lives matter' to respond to BLM.
    For the sake of objective conversation, I've edited the original post to refrain from lumping the snipers with the protestors below.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    18/0
    Mentioned
    86 times
    Time Online
    53d 14h 20m
    Avg. Time Online
    21m
    Quote Originally Posted by starlin View Post
    For the sake of objective conversation, I've edited the original post to refrain from lumping the snipers with the protestors below.
    Omg no I didn't mean you were doing this at all! Sorry if it came off that way I was saying that too many people I know are lumping them together. Your post was perfectly fine.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    13/0
    Mentioned
    10 times
    Time Online
    14d 18h 41m
    Avg. Time Online
    7m
    Quote Originally Posted by Chance View Post
    Omg no I didn't mean you were doing this at all! Sorry if it came off that way I was saying that too many people I know are lumping them together. Your post was perfectly fine.
    Not to worry! I try to be meticulous with really intentional wording, so it was for the best! I don't want anything to be taken the wrong way.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to starlin For This Useful Post:

hissi (07-08-2016),Lincoln (07-08-2016)

Thanks
    DL/UL
    15/0
    Mentioned
    208 times
    Time Online
    98d 13h 33m
    Avg. Time Online
    39m
    its necessary and cops are racist pigs who kill black people literally every day just for shit they praise white people for.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    18/0
    Mentioned
    86 times
    Time Online
    53d 14h 20m
    Avg. Time Online
    21m
    Quote Originally Posted by Peridot View Post
    its necessary and cops are racist pigs who kill black people literally every day just for shit they praise white people for.
    Coming on a little strong. There is a systematic issue. That isn't to say that all cops are racist pigs, or that a significant portion of our law enforcement here in the stAtes are exclusively going around killing black people.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lincoln For This Useful Post:

Aska (07-08-2016),Ghosts (07-12-2016)

Thanks
    DL/UL
    127/0
    Mentioned
    575 times
    Time Online
    62d 4h 17m
    Avg. Time Online
    21m
    All i see is another shooting and another reason to never go to the US ill stay nice and safe in Australia with my kangaroo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Naked Gamer For This Useful Post:

Irohh (07-09-2016)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    81/0
    Mentioned
    191 times
    Time Online
    45d 20h 47m
    Avg. Time Online
    18m
    America is corrupt. People are tired of the corruption and most people can peacefully protest to bring light to innocent black men being murdered by white cops.

After many instances of cops getting off the hook, we're done. This is complete bull that people of power are not held to the same standards of the common folk. I am all about bringing light to these issues but murdering innocent people is just going to further put fear into the people of power.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    13/0
    Mentioned
    10 times
    Time Online
    14d 18h 41m
    Avg. Time Online
    7m
    But I feel like everybody has a different version of what the movement is trying to do. Is it about making sure that those in law enforcement are held to the same standards as others, about eradicating racism that innately plagues privileged white folk in general, or about addressing a more isolated problem of racism in law enforcement? (I'll stick with my belief that most people of BLM don't just hate cops in general and leave that out of this.) I'll take the liberty in concluding it's all of the above, and that's why I think the views end up intersecting and anger becomes directed at "racist white cops"--referring to the individuals of BLM who do, in fact, feel anger directly at "racist white cops" and those outside of the movement who wrongfully feel like the entire movement is about hating "racist white cops."

So my view: We're all against racism; that's not a heated topic in the US. So there is certainly a way to unify people in bringing about justice for black individuals, but I feel BLM is not doing that. BLM is creating two sides in a battle in which we all really want the same thing. There has to be a better way.