DL/UL
    63/0
    Mentioned
    39 times
    Time Online
    27d 21h 25m
    Avg. Time Online
    11m
    You can look into using creatine before your workouts, it helps build muscle mass. I have used it and so has my partner, who is 100lbs soaking wet and very thinly framed, we both felt it worked as intended.

I think it'll be less cardio that you need, and more so strength training. The video that @(you need an account to see links) posted is awesome and a great start!

You're going to have to get that heart pumping and that body moving to gain any muscle, so find something you love that also happens to give you a workout. Horseback riding, rock/wall climbing, bicycling, hiking, tennis/hardball, etc. Find out what excites and motivates you (and gets you moving!), the muscle gain will come along with it!

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    24/0
    Mentioned
    57 times
    Time Online
    6d 11h 1m
    Avg. Time Online
    2m
    I second starting with dumbbells and body weight exercises. It's a good place to start and to help build the muscle you need to tackle the advanced workouts. Definitely start with a 5lb weight if you can handle it. Focus on doing slow, meaningful reps. You want quality over quantity. You can do it! You've already completed the first step of wanting to make a change.

(⊃。�́‿�̀。)⊃━☆゚.*・。゚Nique

"Shorten that to 20 words or less!"- Saitama

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Saitama For This Useful Post:

Elf (06-15-2016)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    13/0
    Mentioned
    416 times
    Time Online
    50d 2h 24m
    Avg. Time Online
    17m
    ok tbh you can keep it really simple. eat at a caloric surplus (which should be easy since you are pretty much sedentary, if you have any underlying issues w/ food then understandably you cant do that). Try to focus on protein dense foods. Im not gonna say avoid carbs, but fat and protein are your friends.

Do body weight exercises first, you will make newbie gains which will help you get a lot of your previous muscle back.
    good examples are: squats, push ups, lunges, plank, wall sit etc.
    If you feel comfortable going to a gym, start out doing really simple lifts like sumo squats while holding a dumbell and tricep presses and bicep curls as well (even just using machines will help, and they are super simple to use and usually have instructions on them). usually just doing 3 sets of 10 is pretty basic and you do make gains from that. Youtube and insta are your best friends, tbh thats where i started out first and then i transitioned to powerlifting, but everybody has to start somewhere.

if you have any more questions or like more depth questions about muscles/food intake etc you can message me anytime. I tried to keep it simple just because a lot of information can be overwhelming at first.

good luck!

*personally i do a lot of compound movements (squats, deadlifts and bench) which grows muscle extremely quickly. I would recommend working towards learning that over time just because they work a ton of muscles at once and are known to be very beneficial for overall strength and conditioning.
    Last edited by Cub; 06-16-2016 at 12:49 AM.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    6/0
    Mentioned
    16 times
    Time Online
    5d 5h 8m
    Avg. Time Online
    2m
    Quote Originally Posted by Elf View Post
    This isn't in the help section because it's about physical fitness alright

So I have worked out maybe 2x in the last 4 years (severe depression made me bed bound hell yea). I am really thin and have just about no muscle mass, and my lack of exercise is really starting to make itself known in my life and I know I need to change it but I have absolutely no idea how to start. Anyone have advice for me here on what I should do? It would be extremely appreciated
    First of all I would like to say, there is a lot of great advice here. Sci_girl and birdtail gave some great advice. As a nurse, I have to advise getting a complete physical before starting any exercise or diet regimen. You say you are/were depressed, you are very thin and can't gain weight/muscle mass. You may have a health problem such as hyperthyroidism. There are different causes for hyperthyroidism and it is very easily detected through a simple blood test. If it is determined that you do have hyperthyroidism, they will determine the cause and treatment. A CBC or complete blood count, will determine if you are anemic, diabetic, or have any other issues that could be affecting your health. Otherwise, if your healthcare practitioner says it's ok to begin a regimen, remember, women do not bulk up as quickly as or the same way as men do. Men have larger muscle fibers than women do (Gender differences in strength and muscle fiber characteristics, Eur J Appl Physiol Occup Physiol. 1993;66(3):254-62.) and bulk up quicker and easier. You can still tone your muscles, you don't have to be a body builder. Unless you want to. You can do that too. I would start by eating lean proteins like peanut butter (has a lot of fat, but it is healthy, mono-unsaturated fat) non-fat or low fat yogurt, non-fat or low-fat milk, lean meat, chicken, fish, nuts, low fat cheese, whole grain breads, fruits, vegetables. Don't forget, good fat is also essential to good health. Stay away from saturated fats such as fried, greasy foods, and increase poly and mono unsaturated fats such as olives and olive oil, nuts, and vegetable oil. As far as exercise goes, what are you trying to achieve? Physical fitness, muscle toning, muscle building? Depending on the results you want to achieve, you will want to work out differently and on a different schedule.
    Last edited by Witchy1; 06-16-2016 at 11:35 AM.