63/0
    Mentioned
    39 times
    Time Online
    27d 21h 25m
    Avg. Time Online
    11m

Vegetarian clean eating?

My partner and I would like to do a week (to start) of no meat meals. We agreed to also cut out added sugar, and breads/pastas. Just one week, to see how we feel and how we like it.

Going food shopping this weekend... Any recommendations for vegetarian meals for two? I am still looking for protein options, I know we will get bored of tofu and lentils I am really not a huge fan of imitation meats. Bonus if we can Grill it

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    34/0
    Mentioned
    315 times
    Time Online
    49d 2h 15m
    Avg. Time Online
    16m
    Portobello mushrooms. Treat them like a hamburger pattie, or a bun. Marinate with some garlic, olive oil, salt n' pepper, balsamic vinegar. Grill for 2-3 minutes each side. Delicious.

Canned beans. Black beans, chickpeas, kidney. Basically make some vegetarian chili and go hard on the legumes.

Green peas...they have a surprising amount of protein. Frozen are perfectly fine.

Edamame (soy beans). They should be in the frozen food section.

Quinoa is another excellent protein source, actually it is a complete protein meaning it has every amino acid. Super super healthy stuff. You can turn it into a pilaf, a caserole, a cold or warm salad, quinoa patties. Endless choices.

You can also do the stereotypical vegetarian meal of stuffed peppers. No need for pork or breading inside. Stuff with a pile of other vegetables or quinoa. I do a stuffed poblano pepper with a rice, corn, and black bean stuffing. Cheese, green onions, salsa on top.

Meals with pearl barley are also good. Lots of protein, easy to prepare.

3. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Sci_Girl For This Useful Post:

70spurple (07-16-2016),Birdtail (06-01-2016),Pachirisu (05-31-2016),potatoespotate (05-31-2016)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    63/0
    Mentioned
    54 times
    Time Online
    14d 6h 13m
    Avg. Time Online
    7m
    Cutting out sugar takes so much discipline because it's so addicting. Good luck if you're cutting it out cold turkey but I highly recommend starting slow or continuing to eat natural sugars like stuff found in fruits. Best of luck! <3

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Pachirisu For This Useful Post:

Birdtail (06-01-2016)

Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    5 times
    Time Online
    3d 13h 8m
    Avg. Time Online
    1m
    For barbecue I usually put champignons in alu foil with some butter and herbs and also put corn (the whole thing) onto it, and eat it with some salt

Also potato gratin (more or less potato slices, cream, salt and pepper, cheese --> oven) is really nice and pretty fast, as well as potato wedges.

I also love to make wraps, usually I fill them with cucumber, onion, paprika, tomato, corn (from a tin), some sauce and when I'm really hungry, fried eggs or a (German) veggi version of fish sticks (it's mashed potato with some vegetables, not sure if it exists everywhere ^^)

And pancakes. Sweet or savory

7. The Following User Says Thank You to KaitoTheKite For This Useful Post:

Birdtail (06-01-2016)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    10/0
    Mentioned
    461 times
    Time Online
    69d 14h 13m
    Avg. Time Online
    24m
    CAULIFLOWER PIZZA CRUST MATE.

(you need an account to see links)

This is the bomb, seriously. It works super well, you almost get no carbs from the mix and you can top it off with literally anything you want. I do artichokes, olives, tomatoes, chilis, onions, basically anything you'd put on a regular pizza. If you need some more proteins you can scramble some tofu and roast it in a pan, season it and put some on the pizza.

It's super easy to do, super delicious and it gives you nice leftovers ~*

Here's a pic of one i did like a few weeks ago

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Maths For This Useful Post:

Birdtail (06-01-2016)

Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    85 times
    Time Online
    36d 5h 21m
    Avg. Time Online
    16m
    I second marinated portobelo mushrooms! They are so juicy and the flavor is second to none.
    If you have a food processor then chickpeas for hummus. Easiest thing to make and most delicious spread ever.
    Greek yogurt or Skyr (Icelandic yogurt) it is super thick luxurious yogurt thats high in protein and very low in fat. Nothing compares. I blend it with frozen berries and make frozen yogurt. Or do layers of it with granola and fresh berries for breakfast parfait.
    Chia is wonderful also. Look up smoothie bowls.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Oryx For This Useful Post:

Birdtail (06-01-2016)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    63/0
    Mentioned
    39 times
    Time Online
    27d 21h 25m
    Avg. Time Online
    11m
    Quote Originally Posted by Maths View Post
    CAULIFLOWER PIZZA CRUST MATE.

This is the bomb, seriously. It works super well, you almost get no carbs from the mix and you can top it off with literally anything you want. I do artichokes, olives, tomatoes, chilis, onions, basically anything you'd put on a regular pizza. If you need some more proteins you can scramble some tofu and roast it in a pan, season it and put some on the pizza.

It's super easy to do, super delicious and it gives you nice leftovers ~*

Here's a pic of one i did like a few weeks ago

Jeeze, this sounds amazing. I will definitely be trying this. Bread will be the hardest for me to give up, I love sandwiches and pizza, lol.

You can also do the stereotypical vegetarian meal of stuffed peppers. No need for pork or breading inside. Stuff with a pile of other vegetables or quinoa. I do a stuffed poblano pepper with a rice, corn, and black bean stuffing. Cheese, green onions, salsa on top.
    @(you need an account to see links) Thie stuffed peppers sound especially delicious! I will have to experiment with the quinoa, never tried it before!

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    84/0
    Mentioned
    142 times
    Time Online
    11d 16h 36m
    Avg. Time Online
    4m
    Best things to do for eating like this:

Buy grains in bulk. Since you're doing no bread/pasta/whatever, get some rice, quinoa, barley, something like that. You buy a bag of it and make a bunch and you can add stuff to it super easily for like, a week. Add vegs for a stir fry or something.

Find stuff that's in season/on sale in where you live. Buy some frozen fruits because those are great for breakfast, you can use them for so much. You should get an avocado or two unless you hate avocados then... obviously don't but, they make great snacks or dinner or whatever. Bananas are my favorite because they can be used for like... 500 things and they taste so good.

Cheese will make a lot of vegs that you've even seasoned even better. Throwing stuff together and experimenting is your friend!

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Elf For This Useful Post:

Birdtail (06-02-2016)