3/0
    Mentioned
    16 times
    Time Online
    5d 2h 17m
    Avg. Time Online
    1m

Motivate me to get fit pls

So, basically over the past couple of years, I've been piling on weight, and from the once skinny kinda not too bad looking guy I was, I'm now obese, and I need to lose weight, but with that comes a heap of excuses as to why I don't do excersize, I guess there's only one which is actually kinda relevant.

So, why I keep putting exercise off:
    Every time I exercise even slightly, I get way too out of breath, I suffer from asthma and I can't afford to replace my ventolin pumps, lol.
    I get chest pain when I exercise, like it feels cardiac but it disappears after a while.
    Whenever I step into a gym and there are other people there I get real bad anxiety lol (ikr wtf)

So, motivate me. Give me work out plans. Start them easy tho pls. Like imagine this is someone who was never slim.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    27/0
    Mentioned
    28 times
    Time Online
    22d 40m
    Avg. Time Online
    10m
    I personally like SparkPeople. I use pretty much everything there, they have a lot of motivational tools and here's some decent (you need an account to see links) that you can start with at home.

I totally know what you mean about going to a gym. I don't. I do what I can at home, and when I got bored with that, I found a bike/running trail near my home that is mostly in the woods and typically semi-private, and used that to start a 5k (walk/run interval) training program with the Zombies, Run! app. I highly recommend it, it's kinda like role playing while you run to keep it entertaining and motivating. When I first started, I sucked at running. Sometimes I would have to walk when it said run. But it gets better. Your body needs time to adjust to using oxygen more efficiently for exercise, especially in your case with asthma, I would imagine.

If you're serious about losing weight though, I would focus a lot on diet and just add in exercise gradually. Focus on one or two small goals at a time, don't get too hung up on the overall picture, but just focusing on one small change and sticking to it until you genuinely feel you've mastered it and made it a habit, then moving on to the next.

Once I started exercising, I found it motivating to put up a sheet of paper on the wall near my desk (or wherever you spend a lot of your time and are guaranteed to look at it everyday), with my workout plan for each day that week. Check the days off as you complete them. Visually seeing the effort that you've put in every day is motivation to keep up with it.

I have this quote at the top of every schedule: Your workouts are important meetings you've scheduled with yourself. Bosses don't cancel. Maybe you could do something similar with something that motivates you. I get pride from seeing how many consecutive days/weeks/months I can maintain my daily goals without excuses.

By the way, fitness is pretty much use it or lose it, especially with cardio, so keep that in mind to motivate you as well.

One of the best studies of the effects of detraining on recently acquired fitness gains found that VO2 max gains (a person’s maximum capacity to take in, transport, and use oxygen during exercise) that were made in the last two months are completely lost after four weeks of inactivity .

Don't over do it. I started feeling pretty confident after a few walk/run intervals and overestimated myself and ended up injuring my leg (not from a fall or anything, mind you, just overstraining it), which made working out nearly impossible for a couple weeks. I pretty much had to start over, for the reason above. Don't do it, trust me, it's a bummer.

This is just a personal preference, but keep track of your progress with strength, endurance and speed, not your weight loss. I find obsessing over the scale to hurt rather than help. The point should be to be fit, not a magical number on the scale that no one else sees anyway.

If you need a workout/accountability buddy or someone to talk to about it or anything, feel free to PM me anytime.
    Last edited by Sugar Rush; 05-05-2016 at 02:43 AM.

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sugar Rush For This Useful Post:

Jackaroo (05-05-2016),Lyric (05-05-2016),Raposa (05-26-2016)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    34/0
    Mentioned
    315 times
    Time Online
    49d 2h 15m
    Avg. Time Online
    16m
    The most important thing out of any of this is your diet. Forget trying to run, forget trying to increase stamina, forget trying to go to the gym to work out. The absolute most important thing to get hold of is your diet. You mention you are obese, this means your calories in greatly exceeds your calories out. Your body right now will store all those extra calories as fat because they are not being burned off.

If you can deal with the diet then the exercise will come much much easier. The hardest thing to do will be to limit the foods that you probably love the most. If you want to be successful you must do it gradually. Weight loss is not a quick process, anyone who claims that it is is likely trying to make a buck off of gullibility. Do not go cold turkey on changing your diet because that will just anger you and make you feel helpless, as it would to anyone really (myself included). It is the small changes that can help the most especially right from the start. If you are a big soda/pop drinker then cutting that out right now will lead to the most significant 'right now' results. There is so much sugar and so many unnecessary calories in those drinks that it quickly causes weight gain. Switch your drinks to water, if you want flavored water just cut up some fruit slices, lemon, or even cucumber slices and put it in the water. Next small step is to increase veggies. Want a snack? Grab some sliced veggies instead of the chips.

If you can change your diet, even a little, then your energy will go up and the working out will come easier. This same gradual approach applies to working out. Do not expect to be jogging 5 miles. Start with maybe taking the dog for a walk a few times a week (if you have a dog of course). Get yourself some of those mini dumbbells so you can do some weight lifting at home. Nothing major, just do some curls, arm lifts, stretches and stuff while watching tv....preferably of course is to stand while you watch tv doing this stuff. I loathe working out so much so I need to be distracted from actually thinking "eff I am working out", so I listen to music while I do it. I go for a walk in the woods for exercise and be distracted by the beauty of nature. I use our exercise bike while watching a video on youtube. Anything to distract me from the awful thought that I am actually working out. I refuse to step foot in a gym so do not think you need to go there, unless you want to. Many things can be done at home.

The thing with weight loss is you need to be consistent and accountable. If you have a friend that can help you, or bug you, when you are doing these things it can be an immense motivator. And just remember...baby steps.

5. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Sci_Girl For This Useful Post:

Banannie (05-23-2016),Daviid (05-24-2016),Ghosts (05-05-2016),Raposa (05-26-2016),Todoroki (05-24-2016)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    151/1
    Mentioned
    442 times
    Time Online
    122d 5h 2m
    Avg. Time Online
    41m
    Quote Originally Posted by Jackaroo View Post
    So, basically over the past couple of years, I've been piling on weight, and from the once skinny kinda not too bad looking guy I was, I'm now obese, and I need to lose weight, but with that comes a heap of excuses as to why I don't do excersize, I guess there's only one which is actually kinda relevant.

So, why I keep putting exercise off:
    Every time I exercise even slightly, I get way too out of breath, I suffer from asthma and I can't afford to replace my ventolin pumps, lol.
    I get chest pain when I exercise, like it feels cardiac but it disappears after a while.
    Whenever I step into a gym and there are other people there I get real bad anxiety lol (ikr wtf)

So, motivate me. Give me work out plans. Start them easy tho pls. Like imagine this is someone who was never slim.
    I started to practice for Football right after i moved up from 8th grade. I was slow, literally. We would run steps across the stadium and i lined up number two. Literally the kids would double across and finish the whole thing and i even remember falling asleep while the other guys were running routes cause i was so tired. I'm 5'8, feeling like i can't even walk down the stairs. Flash forward to sophomore year, we would run back and fourth. 10 yard line and back. 10 and back, 20 and back. You get it. Literally, finishing last all the time when your with the lineman (bigger kids) is never a good feeling. I also do get the same chest pain you do but know how to control it. Now, that i workout six days a week. I am not in full cardio shape, but i enjoy working out. Six days a week, you want t o be at the right place. If your seriously interested PM me your Skype ill hook you up with somethin

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    3/0
    Mentioned
    16 times
    Time Online
    5d 2h 17m
    Avg. Time Online
    1m
    Holy crap I forgot to message u, i'll fire it over now @(you need an account to see links)

Thanks for the tips @(you need an account to see links) & @(you need an account to see links)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    8/0
    Mentioned
    46 times
    Time Online
    8d 12h 7m
    Avg. Time Online
    3m
    If you wanna see fit goals check out Kelly Ripa in 2003 versus Kelly Ripa now...

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    13/0
    Mentioned
    Never
    Time Online
    13h 16m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    I get anxiety from the gym too!! but I have confident friends who I go with and they boost my self-esteem. Maybe that'll help for you too? I feel really awkward and nervous when I'm by myself because I don't know how to do anything LOL. When I go with my confident friends (they don't have to be super athletic! They just have to know how to exercise safely) I feel less anxiety and I end up pushing myself even harder to keep up with them so they don't know I'm a secret weakling.
    If this doesn't work for you, I really enjoy jogging outside and yoga indoors. Yoga stretches your body at the same time and I really helps with any back pains associated with sitting in front of a computer all day. You can add weight training with a dumbbell or medicine ball during/afterwards.

About motivation: I also get demotivated relatively quickly, but like @(you need an account to see links) said, having a friend to bug you about working out is a great motivator!! Start with whatever is comfortable with you. Just do it. If you want to quit after 10 minutes, quit. But you need to start building the habit of regularly exercising; eventually 10 minutes will grow into 15...etc. (when I first started I could only run for 10 minutes before I quit)

About Diet: I gained a lot of weight from college and realized that it was from eating late at night and/or eating fast food. Of course, you don't have to apply any of these to your life, but I'm going to say at least 20 lbs from my weight loss came from just changing my diet.
    Things I did: 1) No eating past 8:00pm. If this means you have to go to bed hungry, that's what you have to do (but you can eat if you really have to. It was just my personal punishment for breaking it frivolously, not tryna starve myself)
    2) Completely cut out soda from my diet. Stopped drinking beer, switched to harder alcohols (if you drink), cut out fast food consumption by 50%. Meal prepping really helps here.
    3) Tried to incorporate vegetables into everything I ate. For example: I always make a green smoothie with kale, spinach, fruits, etc. every morning with my breakfast so I could get vegetables starting from when I woke up.
    4) Drank wayyy more water. I'm below average in this, I drank like 5 cups of water a day when I think you're supposed to drink 8. I'm always dehydrated haha.

Seriously though, these things (without working out too hard, I think like 2x-3x a week) helped me lose a ton of weight, improve my complextion, blah blah. But the key idea here with weight loss is persistence. If you set a rule, you have to follow it. If you want more info, feel free to pm me!! Good luck!!!!!!!!
    *****These are just my opinions from my personal experiences. I recently was overweight and lost 25lbs from doing these things, which may or may not be correct.

Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    219 times
    Time Online
    40d 7h 25m
    Avg. Time Online
    15m
    I like to hit the gym around 1 am to avoid other people. Just started kind of sort of getting in shape.
    One thing that I have noticed that helps is I will do 10 push ups, sit ups, jumping jacks and squats every hour and that adds to around 100-150 every day and only takes like five mins out of an hour.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    67/0
    Mentioned
    8 times
    Time Online
    5d 6h 43m
    Avg. Time Online
    2m
    With all this motivation in mind, be sure not to overload yourself. Feeling out of breath or short of fainting/throwing up is something I've been through before and honestly, it does suck. But you get over it after a few weeks once you get in shape.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    5/0
    Mentioned
    31 times
    Time Online
    2d 11h 21m
    Avg. Time Online
    1m
    Well what got me started is this quote, "Nothing tastes as good as skinny feels"