37/0
    Mentioned
    76 times
    Time Online
    26d 23h 45m
    Avg. Time Online
    10m

Calc 2 Power Series Help

Need help with a homework problem, writing the integral of (arctanx)/x as a power series?

I figured out the radius of convergence is 1 but that's it

Thanks!

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    52/0
    Mentioned
    10 times
    Time Online
    3d 13h 28m
    Avg. Time Online
    1m
    I rmb replying to this post. Not sure what's taking so long for my post to appear? ...maybe I didn't reply in the end.
    Anyway, you can write (arctanx)/x as a power series. It's a known series. Just use Maclaurin's Series, which is the power series expression of a function f(x) = f(0) + (x)f'(0)/1! + (x^2)f''(0)/2! + ...
    One easy way is to start with arctanx = x - (x^3)/3 + (x^5)/5 + ...
    Then divide each term by x.

Then notice each term is just a polynomial expression.

Ur answer is just to write the integral of each term summed together.
    i.e. integral((arctanx)/x) = integral(1 - (x^2)/3 + (x^4)/5 +...) = integral(1) - integral((x^2)/3) + integral((x^4)/5) + ... = x - (x^3)/9 + ... (you get the idea.)

---------- Post added at 01:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:23 PM ----------

Sorry about how late my reply is. Doubt my answer is very useful for your homework by now. But this topic is widely used so you might use it again if you're studying university calculus.
    The radius of convergence just determines what interval the power expansion exists for a function.
    Specifically, the Maclaurin Series only exists for functions where |x|<R = radius of convergence. Note that the Maclaurin Series is a special case of the Taylor Series of a function at a. In the Maclaurin Series, a = 0 and c_n = f^(n) (a) / n!

---------- Post added at 01:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:30 PM ----------

(you need an account to see links)

This is a good reference material for you to read up all about it. It should help explain everything if you didn't understand my reply.