Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Should i get into Powerlifting, Bodybuilding or just staying toned?

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    151/1
    Mentioned
    442 times
    Time Online
    122d 5h 2m
    Avg. Time Online
    41m

Should i get into Powerlifting, Bodybuilding or just staying toned?

Your average powerlifter:

Your average bodybuilder:

And then you have me:

So, i'm 18 currently and about 190 pounds, which according to the doctor is considered obese. I want to tone up, but i want to be buff sort of too. Powerlifters are picture one, aka lift a big weight for one time. Bodybuilders are #2, become big. Then me, toned on picture #3. I don't think i can ever look like picture number one, but anything is possible. If i do, i want to end up doing a competition for powerlifting. Or should i just try doing me, staying toned but not ridiculous big?

Saiyan Race
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    23/36
    Mentioned
    3,871 times
    Time Online
    564d 2h 47m
    Avg. Time Online
    3h 13m
    Do what you want. Live your life, not other peoples.
    (you need an account to see links)
    (you need an account to see links)(you need an account to see links)

------------------------
    [02/24/2013] Stealth CORE is made into the first standalone Neopets auto-player.
    ------------------------

3. The Following User Says Thank You to j03 For This Useful Post:

Guy (04-04-2016)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    34/0
    Mentioned
    315 times
    Time Online
    49d 2h 15m
    Avg. Time Online
    16m
    Make sure you are healthy about it. You are only 18 so you are still growing. You can tear muscles a d tendons so badly that it will continue to hurt you later in life. If you do choose to be a gym buff then talk with a personal trainer to get how to actually use equip mentioned and proper routines. The last thing you should do is read blogs or youtube videos and believe you can just become a picture mimic by going very hard in a very short amount of time. Whatever you choose, take your time and become educated about it so you do not hurt yourself. It does happen.

Thanks
    DL/UL
    126/0
    Mentioned
    300 times
    Time Online
    218d 12h 58m
    Avg. Time Online
    1h 43m
    Whatever you're comfortable with. You know your body and your limits better than us, but be sure to always stay safe and don't push yourself too much in the beginning, you can easily get hurt.
    Your diet also plays a big part in it, and first you need to build some muscles! Second you exercise responsibly! Third I don't know, but look for someone who does!

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    81/3
    Mentioned
    451 times
    Time Online
    187d 15h 9m
    Avg. Time Online
    1h 8m
    Unless you're planning on competing, I'd just workout to stay in shape and not worry about putting on tons and of muscle.

Also kinda off topic, but every time I see pictures of eally strong people I can't not notice how it looks like there's an average guy popping out of a big guy near their neck.

Selling everything - PM me what you're looking for!

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    151/1
    Mentioned
    442 times
    Time Online
    122d 5h 2m
    Avg. Time Online
    41m
    True, i want to compete. I really just need someone on my side to help out. My body has taken a variety of struggles, i just need some help and motivation to fully transition into what to do.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    13/0
    Mentioned
    416 times
    Time Online
    50d 2h 24m
    Avg. Time Online
    17m
    @(you need an account to see links) thats my two sense on it, idk i might've just blabbed.

powerlifting is a sport.. so like you compete and improve yourself to lift as much weight as possible, with a focus on three main lifts. Typically they tend to have more of a bulked frame then bodybuilders/weightlifters becasue that is there main focus.. to lift heavy as fuck. So if you like to compete with yourself and focus on improving yourself with a sport mindset that I would go for powerlfiting. The goal is more towards becoming powerful rather then the aesthetics. Muscle-wise the density of your muscle will increase (more strength) however it might not increase the size of your muscles as fast as something like bodybuilding.

Bodybuilding is focused on lighter weights and higher reps, with more isolated body exercises. So where powerlifting is primarily compound movements, bodybuilding does like very isolated movements to help grow that particular muscle. Both powerlifting and bodybuilding (wayy less in powerlfiitng) requires you to have complete control of your diet to make sure youre getting enough macro nutrients, this can be challenging though. Although this is a sport, it is very based on aesthetic and improving yourself for aesthetic. So this one will increase the size of your muscles, but you wont have as much efficient muscle mass as you would in powerlifting.

Personally I do powerlifting and I love it. You could always do a mixture of both, I mean a lot of people focus on the three main lifts and then do body building to enhance their aesthetic.

Weightlifting is also something to think about, I find it amazing but i am trash at it. It builds muscle quite quickly though.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    2/0
    Mentioned
    243 times
    Time Online
    45d 4h 18m
    Avg. Time Online
    18m
    that power lifter looks legit freaky imo

i imagine that's how guys look at insanely skinny girls - girls think it looks good but most guys don't really prefer it

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    151/1
    Mentioned
    442 times
    Time Online
    122d 5h 2m
    Avg. Time Online
    41m
    Thank you all for your opinions =]

I really like powerlifting, and since i'm done with football i don't have any other opportunity to step on a big stage like that until i get married.
    I don't want to look like a powerlifter, and i don't think my body can look like that. My top three lifts really aren't to shabby for an asian kid, and eighteen years old. BP: 245lb/ DL: 370b / SQ: 350b nearly being at the 1000 lb club

i just wanted to see peoples preference

11. The Following User Says Thank You to 5252 For This Useful Post:

Cub (04-13-2016)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    13/0
    Mentioned
    416 times
    Time Online
    50d 2h 24m
    Avg. Time Online
    17m
    haha not all powerlifters look like that so i wouldnt worry. I know a lot of "skinny" dudes who powerlift and looks jacked af

My stats are 135b/255s/340d so ur doing better than meeee, and tbh thats a dope starting point especially at your age.