Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Presidential Debate: Thoughts on Trump winning?

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    18/0
    Mentioned
    86 times
    Time Online
    53d 14h 20m
    Avg. Time Online
    21m
    Quote Originally Posted by Trump 2016 View Post
    Yes, there's a certain and big wing of people who look at him as a vehicle toward the counter-culture. The Internet's revenge against lazy elites, as Milo Yiannopoulos penned it. Keep peeling layers and it doesn't have to rest at just being funny, but as sticking it to the left for abusing the constitution and sticking it to the right for not protecting it from being assailed. There's a longing for burning down a party and rebuilding it with an extra kick in the step, unapologetic and unabashed.

The stronger (i.e. more mature as you value) persuasion lies in the president's supreme court pick, which could fester for generations long -- up to even 40 years, which is a huge impact. That and the attorney general pick. You might find Trump distasteful, but he isn't being protected by state cronies and slipping indictment. That's another reason Bernie voters are having trouble ceding to Clinton's and it gives Trump leverage to court them.

In short, although I love Trump, I think if you honestly believe both he and Clinton are disastrous, he might be running into a mountain at 35 MPH whereas Clinton would have neither any reversing gear nor a break.

Anyway, sorry for going on 'n on. You've already mentioned you're not too invested in politics. Understood. Just had to throw this chunk out there.
    Do you really think having another right-wing justice is good for this country? Scalia, may he rest in peace, did quite a bit to set the US back significantly when it came to social justice and equality.
    Be sure you put your feet in the right place, then stand firm.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    20/0
    Mentioned
    19 times
    Time Online
    5d 17h 5m
    Avg. Time Online
    2m
    Quote Originally Posted by Chance View Post
    Do you really think having another right-wing justice is good for this country? Scalia, may he rest in peace, did quite a bit to set the US back significantly when it came to social justice and equality.
    I do. There has to be a balance. That said, I am for marrage equality even being a conservative.

If people want to be happy, so be it. The country has bigger issues to deal with: economy, jobs, terrorism threats both domestic and internationally, etc.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    18/0
    Mentioned
    86 times
    Time Online
    53d 14h 20m
    Avg. Time Online
    21m
    Quote Originally Posted by paradox View Post
    I do. There has to be a balance. That said, I am for marrage equality even being a conservative.

If people want to be happy, so be it. The country has bigger issues to deal with: economy, jobs, terrorism threats both domestic and internationally, etc.
    But isn't that the issue? Why do we have to have supreme court leaders who serve as an extension of the president's power? If Trump has his choice, he's already said he'll be putting up a conservative republican. At this point, our most important legal system is up to be dominated by the same political gridlock that plagues our legislative branch.
    Be sure you put your feet in the right place, then stand firm.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    5/0
    Mentioned
    19 times
    Time Online
    2d 1h 5m
    Avg. Time Online
    1m
    Regardless of who wins, god help us all.

Stay down, you do not want to get up.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    13/0
    Mentioned
    10 times
    Time Online
    14d 18h 41m
    Avg. Time Online
    7m
    I was stressing over this election, but is it wrong that I've actually found some peace since it essentially came down to Trump and Hillary? I find it nice that the majority of the American population is unified in disliking both options. Even though we'll still end up voting for the "lesser of evils," we largely agree that neither is what we ideally want, which is comforting to know.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    29/0
    Mentioned
    101 times
    Time Online
    28d 2h 56m
    Avg. Time Online
    13m
    Quote Originally Posted by starlin View Post
    I was stressing over this election, but is it wrong that I've actually found some peace since it essentially came down to Trump and Hillary? I find it nice that the majority of the American population is unified in disliking both options. Even though we'll still end up voting for the "lesser of evils," we largely agree that neither is what we ideally want, which is comforting to know.
    I don't think a majority of people dislike both of them to be honest. If they were widely hated candidates, they wouldn't be our two choices, someone else would be. People are claiming they don't support Trump/Clinton but they clearly do based on the numbers
    PM me to see what I have up for sale! Always selling UCs/NP/Accounts!
    Offering free PIN cracks to Clraik rank (and higher!), just shoot me a PM.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    13/0
    Mentioned
    10 times
    Time Online
    14d 18h 41m
    Avg. Time Online
    7m
    Quote Originally Posted by Urbex View Post
    I don't think a majority of people dislike both of them to be honest. If they were widely hated candidates, they wouldn't be our two choices, someone else would be. People are claiming they don't support Trump/Clinton but they clearly do based on the numbers
    Wah! Don't burst my temporary bubble of peace!

But I just speak from what I've seen. Most people I heard from who voted for Trump in the primaries said something along the lines of "Well, I don't like the other politicians so..." There were some who voted for him because they just adore him, but they're in the minority of those I know. And with Hillary, I think there was a lot more support for her during the primaries than there is now. People will still vote for her, but I think her actions that are harder to ignore now have put her in a position where few (although I could be wrong in this perception) actually like her and find her their ideal candidate. The votes will come in on election day, but I don't think the celebration afterward will be too loud either way.