67/8
    Mentioned
    123 times
    Time Online
    27d 4h 44m
    Avg. Time Online
    9m

Question about rebooting modem?

I've been reading about unplugging your internet modem every once and a while to give it a break and make your internet fast again, but I have just two questions for those who've done this before:

1. Did you have to shut down all your devices? (computer, tablet, phone, etc)

2. Did you unplug the power cord from the wall outlet or from the back of the modem/router device? (And if my modem and router are separate, do I have to unplug them both?)

I really don't want to screw up. Is there anything I have to worry about?

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    98/0
    Mentioned
    512 times
    Time Online
    24d 13h 9m
    Avg. Time Online
    8m
    Hey @(you need an account to see links), great question. To unplug your internet modem, simply remove the power cord from the modem. Do the same for your router if it is a separate unit. This will effectively turn off your modem. Unplugging the cord from the outlet will accomplish the same.

1. You don't have to shut down anything besides your modem/router. I would also type these in command prompt (if Windows user)
    Code:
    ipconfig /release
    ipconfig /renew
    2.Yeah unplug them both, doesn't matter what you unplug really. Let them sit unplugged for 1-2 mins. Plug the modem in first and wait 30 seconds then plug in your router.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Zachafer For This Useful Post:

Atlas (03-08-2016)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    67/8
    Mentioned
    123 times
    Time Online
    27d 4h 44m
    Avg. Time Online
    9m
    Quote Originally Posted by Zachafer View Post
    Hey @(you need an account to see links), great question. To unplug your internet modem, simply remove the power cord from the modem. Do the same for your router if it is a separate unit. This will effectively turn off your modem. Unplugging the cord from the outlet will accomplish the same.

1. You don't have to shut down anything besides your modem/router. I would also type these in command prompt (if Windows user)
    Code:
    ipconfig /release
    ipconfig /renew
    2.Yeah unplug them both, doesn't matter what you unplug really. Let them sit unplugged for 1-2 mins. Plug the modem in first and wait 30 seconds then plug in your router.
    This was super helpful. I did this and had no problems afterwards