Thread: Harry Potter and the Cursed Child (Book) ?!

Thanks
    DL/UL
    19/0
    Mentioned
    733 times
    Time Online
    158d 26m
    Avg. Time Online
    56m

Harry Potter and the Cursed Child (Book) ?!

Surprised nobody here has made a thread about this yet

For the ones who still don't know: In July on this year, they'll publish a book based on the stage play of HP & the cursed child (a play that will only be casted in the UK and that has been selling tickets since October of last year... tickets which seem to be all sold out until 2017). Some people are calling this book the 8th book of the saga, while others think is just a sell out of Jo that should have never happened and that doesn't represent the saga.

I've seen mixed opinions about the matter, what do you guys think about it?

For me... as a fan who really wanted to see the play but would have never been able to do so due money and geographical reasons, I'm really glad they thought about the fans that live far away and don't have the chance to go and see the play, so even if it's just a way to make more money for them, I'm glad I'll be able to be part of it. I'll be buying both the online and phisical versions, and probably also the special edition that they say they'll be releasing later with the full version of the story. Again, maybe this will be like this since I've been a huge HP fan since I was 12 y/o and I literally grew up with this books... I do not consider the curse child as the HP #8 even though it technically is? I guess to give a real opinion I might have to read the book first, but I just hope it develops the story nicely and is not a dissapointing extra that ruins the experience of the previous books. We'll see

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    25/0
    Mentioned
    153 times
    Time Online
    76d 2h 34m
    Avg. Time Online
    32m
    I can't wait for it!
    I'm of the opinion that if Rowling wants to write a book, she can go ahead. I'll read it no matter what.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    19/0
    Mentioned
    86 times
    Time Online
    38d 16h 11m
    Avg. Time Online
    15m
    Apparently it's actually written by someone else? I heard the idea came from Rowling but the boom itself is being written by a dude names Thorne (same person who wrote the play?)

Still gonna get it though :p

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    16/0
    Mentioned
    3 times
    Time Online
    20h 4m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    I'm wary. This honestly smells like a cash cow to me, but I hope this won't be a disappointment.

Actually this reminds me of how much of a mouthful these names are. Albus Severus Potter, Lily Luna Potter, Scorpius Hyperion Malfoy (best one yet!), insert triplet names here.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    137/0
    Mentioned
    14 times
    Time Online
    12d 17h 55m
    Avg. Time Online
    4m
    Rowling has stated that it is not a new book in the series and is basically the stage play in book form.

(you need an account to see links)

(you need an account to see links)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    62/0
    Mentioned
    8 times
    Time Online
    14d 15h 1m
    Avg. Time Online
    6m
    I also hope forward to the movie, I think the book is great and because I am a fan , very big fan , fan as my son called Voldemort ( ? Lol

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    1/0
    Mentioned
    25 times
    Time Online
    6d 22h 23m
    Avg. Time Online
    3m
    As a writer, I really understand where Jo is coming from, and I'm so happy she's letting her muse for this world and the characters she's created continue to flow. When I heard it took her 3-4 MONTHS to write the ENTIRE SCREENPLAY for the Fantastic Beasts film (and its two sequels), I knew that she must have been wanting to continue her stories for a long time. Your characters and ideas don't just shut up or turn off when you decide that you're done at the finish line. They will continue to talk to you and the new ideas will continue to spring up all the time - I'm surprised she's kept as quiet as she has up until recently.

rabid artist and writer
    nerd of many fandoms

Thanks
    DL/UL
    19/0
    Mentioned
    733 times
    Time Online
    158d 26m
    Avg. Time Online
    56m
    Quote Originally Posted by Sone View Post
    As a writer, I really understand where Jo is coming from, and I'm so happy she's letting her muse for this world and the characters she's created continue to flow. When I heard it took her 3-4 MONTHS to write the ENTIRE SCREENPLAY for the Fantastic Beasts film (and its two sequels), I knew that she must have been wanting to continue her stories for a long time. Your characters and ideas don't just shut up or turn off when you decide that you're done at the finish line. They will continue to talk to you and the new ideas will continue to spring up all the time - I'm surprised she's kept as quiet as she has up until recently.
    Yes, I'm pretty excited to read more about the new generation, all those fanfics and fanart of how fans imagine them to be have filled me with a lot of expectations and hopes for this to be interesting... not to say the story that came out on 2014 on pottermore about the quidditch world cup with those little details about them and my Teddy Lupin only helped on my curiosity and rising fanatism. I do agree it has been a huge surprise for most but I guess she has been working on it for a while, at least by 2014 she already had a small development on the story made public

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    16/0
    Mentioned
    3 times
    Time Online
    20h 4m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    Quote Originally Posted by Sone View Post
    That I can understand. How can an author just stop having ideas especially with a series that ballooned into a franchise? You make a good point.

What would be nice if there was a prequel, a storyline about James, Lily, etc. during their younger years. I'd read those books, though I am excited for Fantastic Beasts.