19/0
    Mentioned
    120 times
    Time Online
    21d 35m
    Avg. Time Online
    9m
    Quote Originally Posted by Sone View Post
    I actually recommend the contrary for insomniacs. One of my research courses was dedicated to how the human body responds to recent technologies and it's well-documented and known that blue-light screens have a certain wave pattern that actually makes it harder to fall asleep. (you need an account to see links). That's why a lot of doctors and psychologists recommend people to stop using devices about 30-45min prior to bedtime, so as to prevent this.

edit; Obviously Kindles would be an exception, because I believe their screens function differently.
    I'm familiar w the research, however I personally have found that setting the brightness to the lowest setting causes your eyes not exactly to struggle, but makes the reading slightly more laborious and causes you to need to pay attention, tiring you out quicker. Just an observation that I've made. Suffered from horrible insomnia for years, this is the only thing that fixed it lol

This said, is you have a nook color like me, or any browser that uses the Internet, you can download the spectrum changer anyways to cause your decide to utilize red light instead ^^
    Queen Bee

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    1/0
    Mentioned
    25 times
    Time Online
    6d 22h 23m
    Avg. Time Online
    3m
    Quote Originally Posted by haiqtpi View Post
    This said, is you have a nook color like me, or any browser that uses the Internet, you can download the spectrum changer anyways to cause your decide to utilize red light instead ^^
    Oh? o:
    That's actually pretty interesting, I should look into that.

rabid artist and writer
    nerd of many fandoms

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    19/0
    Mentioned
    120 times
    Time Online
    21d 35m
    Avg. Time Online
    9m
    Quote Originally Posted by Sone View Post
    Oh? o:
    That's actually pretty interesting, I should look into that.
    Yeah, you can do it on your iphone or android as well A few programs - I do not personally use it, I just lower brightness, but my bf swears by it on his android. There are apps like unblue, f.lux, and twilight that adjust blue light in the LED.
    Queen Bee

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    178/0
    Mentioned
    744 times
    Time Online
    335d 1h 18m
    Avg. Time Online
    2h 2m
    idc either way if the book is good/interesting, but I'd prefer owning the physical book (unless I don't have any space left in my room)

(you need an account to see links)

"Date et dabitur vobis"
    「Let's fight 恐れはない」

"A quantum supercomputer calculating for a thousand years could not even approach the number of f��ks I do not give"

「君が望むモノは何?」

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    7/0
    Mentioned
    41 times
    Time Online
    16d 12h 29m
    Avg. Time Online
    7m
    I swore by books for years, but then my boyfriend bought me a Kindle and it was a Godsend! I couldn't believe how much easier it is, especially when going abroad on holiday, instead of taking like 5 paperbacks for the trip and using all my luggage allowance, I can just load up my Kindle and go. It also feels nice to hold, when you're lying on a sunbed, your arms/hands start to ache after holding a paperback for a while, with a Kindle it's so light and easy, and you don't get any of that sun glare. :3

Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 time
    Time Online
    10h 23m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    That is some great points. I loved reason everyone's opinions about the debate. I look forward to reading more of them

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    34/0
    Mentioned
    315 times
    Time Online
    49d 2h 15m
    Avg. Time Online
    16m
    More of a fan of regular books.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    3/0
    Mentioned
    16 times
    Time Online
    13d 22h 47m
    Avg. Time Online
    6m
    I love normal books but I bought myself a Kobo H2O e-reader and I love it. I charge it maybe once every 4 months.... I left my e-reader off for a long time and when I turned it on, it still had full battery. That only goes for the e-ink readers though, which I think is nice on the eyes. The Kobo also has adjustable lighting on the sides which is better than the lighting they use on LCD screens I don't buy e-books though, tend to get them off the internet which makes more sense to me since I don't want to pay for a book I already bought or an e-book that is the same price as the real copy. Libraries also offer e-book lending and I like e-books for books that I can't find locally or at the library.

Thanks
    DL/UL
    19/0
    Mentioned
    733 times
    Time Online
    158d 26m
    Avg. Time Online
    56m
    I'm a fan of regular books but I believe that they won't have a very long life since they use a lot of paper which is not good for the ecosystem

Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 times
    Time Online
    1d 19h 11m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    Personally I am a fan of regular books. Of course I grew up reading this way so the physical feeling, smell, the action of flipping pages and getting excited by a "page-turner" of a book, etcetera, is nostalgic to me. I also find it difficult to read on a screen for too long. (Reading back a few posts, perhaps it is "tiring" to read long blocks of text to my eyes because I keep my electronics' screens on low brightness levels!)

Despite my personal preference toward books, I think eBooks win over regular books. They are so much more convenient in many ways, such as transport and being able to read practically whatever, wherever, and whenever you want. It is also a great medium to get more information and more books across to many people without the limitations such as cost of production or needing to ship them out or needing physical space to store them. Not to mention, again as someone earlier mentioned, using up paper is wasteful.