Mentioned
    1 time
    Time Online
    10h 23m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A

Book VS eBook

Hello today's debate is books vs ebooks
    If you do not know what an ebook it is like a book but with an e. I believe the e stands for electronic. It is an online book.
    I am going to have to go with a paper book because I love the feel and smell of a new book. I love to hold it. The downside of an ebook is that it can die. I do not believe books should die. I would be sad if I was at a good part and my book died. I stand by my decision on a regular book vs and ebook.
    What do you guys think?!
    This topic is open for debate

Replies might be sow because I am watching the new show Mako mermaids on Disney Channel.

Thank you

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    27/0
    Mentioned
    1,190 times
    Time Online
    162d 23h 43m
    Avg. Time Online
    58m
    I also prefer real books over ebooks. I love the scent of a new book and the feeling of shopping in a library is the best. I feel more relaxed when I read a paper book than when I spend hours reading on a tablet. Also, a full bookshelf is the best asset you can have in a house to be honest. I love going back through my older books when I get bored and I sometimes take notes in it or highlights some sentences that touched me on an emotional level. I just think paper books should be appreciated more. They are definitely worth a lot to my eyes.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Cath For This Useful Post:

I Love You (02-06-2016)

Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 time
    Time Online
    10h 23m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    Cath thank you for the reply. I agree with you a million times. You said what I wanted to say pretty much. I have a collection of books that I like to read. It's very small but it is still growing. Does anyone here prefer ebooks?!

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    19/0
    Mentioned
    120 times
    Time Online
    21d 35m
    Avg. Time Online
    9m
    I think that they both have their perks. If I were going on a trip, I would prefer a paper book, since that can be used easier outside by the pool or on a plane. As for ebooks, I do LOVE my nook color! Where it really shines is nighttime - reading in bed or in the bathroom - it is awesome! I also hate how paper backs can get all bent or contorted if folded or wet, ebooks do not have to deal with this. At the same time, I would not buy EVERY book that I want in ebook form - I would keep my library split between ebook and paper book forms. Ebooks also are great if a new book (like when Dan Brown's last book came out) comes out and you do not want to deal with reserving and picking it up, or waiting for copies to come in. Also, you can get classics really really really cheap, don't pay $10 for that copy of War and Peace, you can get it for like $2 on nook lol. Long story short, they both have their places in my life!
    Queen Bee

Pronouns
    she/her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    172/0
    Mentioned
    657 times
    Time Online
    182d 5h 28m
    Avg. Time Online
    1h 16m
    In an ideal world, I prefer real books. However they are not always the most practical option- I've moved house 6 times in 4 years, and after move #3 I decided to give away most of my fiction to ease the load. A friend's daughter was a precocious 13 year old bibliophile, so she inherited hundreds of books from me. Carrying around a collection digitally means I can have thousands of works in one small, light package. The problem with the digital format for me personally is that it can be nigh impossible to find copies of my plays.
    As a drama teacher, I have a lot of pride in my collection of theatrical texts; it's the lovechild of many years and dollars. The well-known playwrights like Shakespeare are easy to get, but those more obscure and esoteric gems definitely aren't. Additionally, it is so much easier for me to use the texts in class when I have physical books that I can photocopy.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    12/1
    Mentioned
    320 times
    Time Online
    95d 4h 15m
    Avg. Time Online
    32m
    Ebook because #1 you can control F for key words to find answers and this helps a lot on homework #2 I don't read

Pronouns
    she/her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    172/0
    Mentioned
    657 times
    Time Online
    182d 5h 28m
    Avg. Time Online
    1h 16m
    Quote Originally Posted by Maison View Post
    Ebook because #1 you can control F for key words to find answers and this helps a lot on homework #2 I don't read
    You realise that ebooks still involve reading, right?
    The search and define functions of ebooks are very beneficial though, I agree.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    12/1
    Mentioned
    320 times
    Time Online
    95d 4h 15m
    Avg. Time Online
    32m
    Quote Originally Posted by bacchus View Post
    You realise that ebooks still involve reading, right?
    The search and define functions of ebooks are very beneficial though, I agree.

Like I read but not like whole books... Like of course I read a lot because I am on my computer doing homework or talking but I don't have the attention span to like READ a novel.. Like if I have to do it for homework I can use that function and then like read around it to get the answer xDDD

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    19/0
    Mentioned
    120 times
    Time Online
    21d 35m
    Avg. Time Online
    9m
    Further elaborating on ebooks for bedtime, if you have insomnia, this can be an AMAZING tool. It becomes kinda fun to like settle in bed and read, knowing that you will only make it like 10 pages before you pass out. Can lead to some pretty fun dreams too lol
    Queen Bee

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    1/0
    Mentioned
    25 times
    Time Online
    6d 22h 23m
    Avg. Time Online
    3m
    Quote Originally Posted by haiqtpi View Post
    Further elaborating on ebooks for bedtime, if you have insomnia, this can be an AMAZING tool. It becomes kinda fun to like settle in bed and read, knowing that you will only make it like 10 pages before you pass out. Can lead to some pretty fun dreams too lol
    I actually recommend the contrary for insomniacs. One of my research courses was dedicated to how the human body responds to recent technologies and it's well-documented and known that blue-light screens have a certain wave pattern that actually makes it harder to fall asleep. (you need an account to see links). That's why a lot of doctors and psychologists recommend people to stop using devices about 30-45min prior to bedtime, so as to prevent this.

edit; Obviously Kindles would be an exception, because I believe their screens function differently.

rabid artist and writer
    nerd of many fandoms