Thread: [Guide] Find the real you - Anxiety/Stress coping techniques + Mindfulness hints and tips

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    7/0
    Mentioned
    41 times
    Time Online
    16d 12h 29m
    Avg. Time Online
    7m

[Guide] Find the real you - Anxiety/Stress coping techniques + Mindfulness hints and tips

Find the real you

Before I start, I'd like to say that nothing in this guide is going to be a quick fix, it does require some dedication and perseverance and may not work for everyone. The strategies in this guide are what have worked, or are working for me. Some techniques may need to be altered to suit you as an individual. I won't delve into therapy/medication, as I'm more looking about what we you can do as an individual.

As a little background, I've always suffered with anxiety, it's come and go over the years to varying degrees, but has always been a constant. My anxiety is largely health related, but I've also got OCD tendencies and more recently (which came as a bit of surprise) a bit of agoraphobia. I managed my anxiety well for a good 6 years, but in October of last year it started to build to a point that was becoming unmanageable. Medication wasn't an option, so I really started to look into what I could do in my day-to-day life to bring my anxiety down to a more liveable level. So I'd like to share with you what I've found.

By all means, if there is anything that anyone thinks could be added/altered within this guide, please PM me. If you've got any techniques that work for you, I'd be happy to add them in.

Mindfulness & Meditation

Mindfulness is a big topic at the moment, and although I was skeptical at first and didn't think I would be able to fit it into my life, it really has helped me cope.

The easiest, and most efficient way that I've found to integrate some Mindful practices into my day is through Mobile Apps. The first thing that I did was download the three apps below. The beauty of using an app is that it not only works as a great distraction technique, if you can feel yourself falling into a hole, you can pop your earphones in and just do a simple exercise that can bring your focus away from the thoughts, feeling or situation that's triggering anxiety or stress. They can be done from anywhere, on the bus/train to work, while out shopping, on a walk etc.

The apps that I use daily are:

Headspace
    (you need an account to see links)

This app is brilliant. The initial 10 sessions are free, and it's the main reason that I can now ride the bus the work without falling into a pit of panic. The first 10 sessions are called "Take 10" and it's about giving yourself just 10 minutes per day to allow your thoughts and feelings to freely pass by your mind, to stop controlling them and stop letting them effect you.

Once you've completed the first 10 sessions, there is then a monthly fee for usage of the app ($12.95/month), which opens up even more content, focusing on specifics such as health, relationships and performance. Just giving yourself this small time each day, and remembering the techniques throughout your day can really help to deviate from your anxious thought pattern.

Mindshift

Another, newer addition to my apps. This app is a lot more personal and customisable, it comes with an in-depth "Anxiety 101" guide which outlines all of the ins-and-outs of anxiety, it's a really helpful reference tool, to know what your feeling is "normal" and that the symptoms that you feel are strange are something that millions of other experience. You can also set it up so the tools are managed by what "Your Situations" are, meaning that it'll give you the tools that will help your specific stress/anxiety triggers. It's got active steps to cope with a wide array of situations, such as Social Fears, Conflict, Worry and event Test Anxiety. It also has a "Check yourself" feature which is a great way to reflect on your feelings, you can go in there and rate your current anxiety and list any symptoms or feelings your having, on a good day you may go back and see how you WERE feeling to what you're feeling now and realise what improvements you've made.

Pacifica

This app is even more in-depth again, it's almost a log that you can keep and update with how you're feeling or thinking each day. You can update it with goals, thoughts, sleep patterns, what you're doing to improve health. Like the other apps it does come with an array of guided meditation techniques and breathing exercises, but you can never have too many! It's great to have a selection, because one might work for someone and not for someone else. Don't be afraid to experiment, and remember that you CANNOT do them "wrong". It's not a win/lose situation. The added bonus to this app is that it comes with a community of live chat rooms, which is a great place to talk to people who may be in the same boat as you, and may have advice or guidance that you can take on board.

You can also find some really good guided meditation through YouTube. A lot of them again are targeted at your specific situation, and again there's no right or wrong video to pick. I won't post a list of videos, because I honestly rarely use the same one twice. Just search YouTube for "Mindful Meditation" followed by what is triggering your stress/anxiety, and you'll find a wide array of great guided meditation videos.

Mindful Walks

"Walking meditation, also known as mindful walking, is an active practice that requires you to be consciously aware and moving in the environment rather than sitting down with your eyes closed. The practice brings you closer to nature and your body. It also helps strengthen your concentration, makes you more aware, and connects you to the present moment."

This technique seemed so odd for me at first, but it really does work, especially to push through the barrier of Agoraphobia. It really helps you connect with yourself and also your surroundings, relaxes but also focuses your mind. Personally for me, it makes going for a walk a much more enjoyable experience than it once was.

I'll link you here to the sites I used to get started in practising Mindful Walking:

A great starter technique, doesn't delve too deeply, and definitely something that can be used day-to-day

This technique also comes with an MP3 you can download, this is more for something you could do in your back garden or at home as it doesn't require you to walk for a long distance.

Another great little starter guide.

It's a part of you - it doesn't define you

This may sound simple to most people, but it's something that I and many others struggle with. Admitting and talking about the way you're feeling can be daunting! What if people think you're crazy? Will they understand? Well the simple answer is - yes. There will ALWAYS be someone you can talk to, and don't be afraid to do it.
    I used to bottle everything I was feeling up until it'd explode and come out all at once in the wrong place or situation. The key is to talk about it, let it out, but don't let it be the only thing you talk about.
    I know some people don't have the support of family, but that doesn't mean there isn't always someone there. There are so many independent organisations that have Support services and lines that are open any time, even if it seems silly, if it feels important to you at that moment in time there is no shame in letting it out.

Open up to family, friends or even go online where you can find so many great websites with members that are happy to talk and may have been through the same experiences at you (A good one that I've used is (you need an account to see links))

By all means, go to your Doctor and see if you can be referred to counselling or Cognitive Behavioural Therapy, but remember these referrals often take time and if you have to pay for your own medical care, they can be expensive.
    If you're in work, let a close colleague or manager know, remember that anxiety/stress are usually protected under the disability act and that admitting that you have a problem in work isn't going to mean you'll be fired or punished.

Helpful websites:

Note: This guide isn't finished, I'll be updating it/editing it soon! Again, I'd like to reiterate that these are just my thoughts/opinions of what has worked for me. Any input is appreciated, and if anyone would like to suggest any additions please feel free to message or post here. I'd also like opinions on whether I should make it less rambley? Heh, I'm not sure if it's too drawn out.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Howl For This Useful Post:

BrielleCutt (01-30-2017),Heretic (05-18-2017),Sone (02-05-2016)