Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: [GUIDE] How to write a compelling resume!

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    27/0
    Mentioned
    242 times
    Time Online
    123d 34m
    Avg. Time Online
    50m

[GUIDE] How to write a compelling resume!

Hey everyone. In order to combat a lot of PMs I have received upon helping someone with their resume on here and then my thread which fell down offering help, I am going to post an image of my resume design, and fill it in with the "what you should put here" throughout the template. My resume was developed by a professional, and edited to work how I wanted it to. I received call-backs/interviews for the past 5 jobs I applied for and had options to choose where I wished to work for anyone who might question the credibility of what I am providing before you.

Please note my resume is for the business background, and if you PM me I will fix my template to best suit you depending what stage of life you're in and what you want to achieve.

Tips:

Open this spoiler to get the URL to download the template. Thank you @(you need an account to see links) for the suggestion.
    Last edited by looklook123123; 01-31-2016 at 10:15 AM.

2. The Following 29 Users Say Thank You to looklook123123 For This Useful Post:

Atlas (01-30-2016),Aura (10-21-2016),Beezy (03-24-2016),Bettser (01-31-2016),carrottea (06-02-2021),Cath (01-30-2016),♥ Cerberus ♥ (05-02-2023),cinnamon (01-31-2016),Cookie Tray (09-16-2021),DJ Music Man (02-01-2016),I_royalty_I (01-31-2016),importado23 (01-03-2017),Kit (02-09-2016),Maison (01-30-2016),Mama Bear (01-31-2016),♥ Munna ♥ (02-06-2024),PabstBlueRibbon (11-25-2021),pentakost (05-05-2021),Pusheen (01-30-2016),Raj (01-30-2016),Ribbon (03-23-2016),Set (06-17-2016),♥ Silas ♥ (12-28-2021),Skarner (02-03-2016),Slowpoke (04-30-2023),stealthbomber (06-29-2020),Swedish Fish (11-07-2018),Synth Salazzle (12-29-2021),Water (01-30-2016)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    12/1
    Mentioned
    320 times
    Time Online
    95d 4h 15m
    Avg. Time Online
    32m
    I WILL REP WHEN I GET THE CHANCE!! And omg thanks I really needed this!!

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    41/0
    Mentioned
    1,446 times
    Time Online
    368d 17h 50m
    Avg. Time Online
    2h 7m
    Quote Originally Posted by looklook123123 View Post
    Mods, if this doesn't belong here, please locate it to the appropriate forum header.

Hey everyone. In order to combat a lot of PMs I have received upon helping someone with their resume on here and then my thread which fell down offering help, I am going to post an image of my resume design, and fill it in with the "what you should put here" throughout the template. My resume was developed by a professional, and edited to work how I wanted it to. I received call-backs/interviews for the past 5 jobs I applied for and had options to choose where I wished to work for anyone who might question the credibility of what I am providing before you.

Please note my resume is for the business background, and if you PM me I will fix my template to best suit you depending what stage of life you're in and what you want to achieve.

Tips:
    Should upload a format document of one for people to use

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bettser For This Useful Post:

Cath (02-01-2016),Maison (01-31-2016)

Pronouns
    she/her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    172/0
    Mentioned
    657 times
    Time Online
    182d 5h 28m
    Avg. Time Online
    1h 16m
    I always include a section for awards and other certifications (like first aid certificate). Showing off my academic excellence awards I got during university helped make me more competitive than someone with the same degree but lacking the accolades.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Mama Bear For This Useful Post:

DJ Music Man (02-01-2016)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    12/0
    Mentioned
    17 times
    Time Online
    6d 34m
    Avg. Time Online
    2m
    Idk if it's appropriate to tag commentary on a guide, but he's right about the need to tailor your resume for your field. For example, I always put my skill set before my education and work history. Actually in my field while a degree is usually preferred, having gone to a fancy school doesn't always matter, so I put that section last.

All your tips are SO RIGHT. Nice advice.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to cinnamon For This Useful Post:

DJ Music Man (02-01-2016)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    27/0
    Mentioned
    242 times
    Time Online
    123d 34m
    Avg. Time Online
    50m
    @(you need an account to see links) All set. It's on the bottom of my post. Hopefully that's all you meant? Hope it helps!

@(you need an account to see links) Regarding the certifications, I personally put those in my "Skills" tab but I have seen the point where people have a ton of different certifications and replace the Skills tab with all their certifications. By all means feel free to do that and to move headers around! I put my awards from university directly under the college/university institution I attend there as opposed to classes I took just because someone hiring will (or should) know approximately what useful classes you have taken to get your degree.
    I made note of your comment on the google doc page where people can download the resume. Thank you for the feedback!

@(you need an account to see links) Thanks, glad you enjoyed it. Hopefully you can use it at least as a good refresher if nothing else!

Thank you everyone for the positive feedback so far! I just want everyone to succeed in their endeavors outside of ck as well because you're all an amazing group of people!

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to looklook123123 For This Useful Post:

Bettser (01-31-2016),DJ Music Man (02-01-2016)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    30/0
    Mentioned
    1,998 times
    Time Online
    435d 9h 54m
    Avg. Time Online
    2h 29m
    Does it really make a big difference with regards to the order and titles that each section is given?
    I'm finishing my degree in comp sci, cybersecurity to be more specific, in a few months and will need to update my resume shortly. I didn't know there was a specific way to do it depending on what sort of job youre after.
    What's my definition of success?
    Creating something no one else can
    Being brave enough to dream big
    Grindin' when you're told to just quit
    Giving more when you got nothin' left

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    27/0
    Mentioned
    242 times
    Time Online
    123d 34m
    Avg. Time Online
    50m
    Quote Originally Posted by I_royalty_I View Post
    Does it really make a big difference with regards to the order and titles that each section is given?
    I'm finishing my degree in comp sci, cybersecurity to be more specific, in a few months and will need to update my resume shortly. I didn't know there was a specific way to do it depending on what sort of job youre after.
    If you haven't had a job in your field really I would put skills befor work experience since your field is really technical
    If you have significant work experience use the order it's in currently and under the jobs list what specifically you did.
    You may want to put both skills and jobs above your schooling even.

Basically, you should put the most relevant of things towards the top of your resume but have something decent in the middle to keep the employer interested enough to read the entire resume.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to looklook123123 For This Useful Post:

DJ Music Man (02-01-2016),I_royalty_I (02-01-2016)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    12/0
    Mentioned
    17 times
    Time Online
    6d 34m
    Avg. Time Online
    2m
    Quote Originally Posted by I_royalty_I View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by looklook123123 View Post
    If you haven't had a job in your field really I would put skills befor work experience since your field is really technical
    If you have significant work experience use the order it's in currently and under the jobs list what specifically you did.
    You may want to put both skills and jobs above your schooling even.

Basically, you should put the most relevant of things towards the top of your resume but have something decent in the middle to keep the employer interested enough to read the entire resume.
    Depending on the size of the company you're applying for and if they have an HR department that funnels the candidates that fit the bill to the actual department that would be interviewing you, they may spend all of 3-4 seconds looking at your resume before it makes the cut or gets trashed. Super big companies import the raw data from your resume so it can auto-weed out people who don't meet certain requirements or sort them by a particular search phrase. This is why you'll see some resume sites forewarn you about using crazy fonts or imagery--in the event they're scanned in or text is pulled from a .pdf, nothing else will be grabbed.

Definitely tweak your resume for each individual job you apply for. If a job posting stressed they want people who are knowledgeable about a specific sub-set of your field, make sure that if you have that skill it's showcased prominently in your resume. Try to order things by the order of importance that seems to be implied in the job posting.

I worked briefly doing graphic design for a national restaurant chain and the corporate HR department did a lot of the preliminary weeding out via resumes. This pissed off the design team because HR peeps aren't really qualified to critique design portfolios nor do they know anything about our skill set. They're just looking between the job description and a resume and playing a matching game at times. Smaller (and better) companies are not like this. It's good to keep in mind that people who have no in-depth knowledge of your field may be in charge of determining your initial worth.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to cinnamon For This Useful Post:

I_royalty_I (02-01-2016)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    34/0
    Mentioned
    315 times
    Time Online
    49d 2h 15m
    Avg. Time Online
    16m
    Excellent guide, +rep. @(you need an account to see links)

A few questions.

1.) I completed my degree via two Universities. Spent 2 years at the first then transferred out because they did not have too many classes as the degree program was just newly introduced. I got my scholarship at that school. The second more acclaimed University is where I finished my degree and have my degree listed as coming from that school. Should I list my scholarship as coming from the first University or the second? Also, what if people do not have a pile of scholarships or anything really noteworthy? I did not fair well with the ones I applied for because others were clearly much much smarter than I. So what can people write down if they do not have a load of scholarships? Should we write down some of our classes or relevant lab courses to at least have something in that section? I have a BSc Degree. For me personally all places I apply to have to do with labs, research facilities and affiliates, Healthcare and things of that nature so they are big on the academics and being able to do the relevant lab work.

2.) How far back should the work experience go? 5 years? Many of us may have seasonal work during school, so just a quick stint for the summer or a few months at Christmas to make money then go back to school. Should those be listed even if it is a shorter amount of time?

3.) Can you make a guide on the even more dreaded and more difficult, it seems, cover letter?