9/0
    Mentioned
    10 times
    Time Online
    7h 21m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A

Best Vertical Training?

What is the best vertical jump training to get the vertical to dunk in basketball?
    I'm not really sure where to start, but I'm looking for a long term, everyday program.
    If it matters, I'm 6'4" and I can get the tips of my fingers above the rim on a straight, standing jump.

Any tips would be great!

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    43/0
    Mentioned
    79 times
    Time Online
    17d 20h 48m
    Avg. Time Online
    6m
    o___o'''
    I'm like 5'10 and I can do what you do XD
    I just jump 100x everyday or whenever I can and do sit-ups... did this since I was 17 xD

Thanks
    DL/UL
    25/0
    Mentioned
    93 times
    Time Online
    28d 5h 26m
    Avg. Time Online
    9m
    Actually, repetitive jumping really wouldn't do much for max height needed to dunk. When you jump 100x a day, unless all are at max effort, you are essentially training endurance. In order to raise your vertical max height, you should give a full effort jump as many times as you can. The quantity isn't the big factor here, it is going all out in the jump. 5 max jumps would be better than 100x smaller jumps, but since you obviously want to go as high as you can, max jumping the max amount of times is the best idea. If you still don't grasp the concept, imagine it as if you are a 100 m dash runner. Do you train for the sprint by doing a 2 mile jog? No, you train by sprinting...same concept. I'm sure if you look online you can find a suitable routine to train vertical.

A few other things: Don't burn yourself out. With your body, sometimes less is more, and giving your body adequate rest may be more beneficial than working yourself to exhaustion every day. Eg, don't work on this everyday, you will destroy your muscle mass.
    No matter what, if you are thinking this will in any way effect your current season in a positive manner, it really won't. The muscle mass needs to grow, and that takes time. Just like anything else. But sticking to it, and working during the offseason consistently will definitely raise your vertical for next season.

A little research led me to see that the Vertical Jump Bible is one of the more highly acclaimed training guides. Jump Manual is also another decent one. Both do cost money, so check prices before you go out and buy. Hope I could be of assistance.
    Last edited by Frank12; 02-26-2012 at 12:34 AM.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    9/0
    Mentioned
    10 times
    Time Online
    7h 21m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    Thanks for the tips Frank, I'll definitely work on that. I'll have to check out a couple of those guides as well.

And yeah, I wasn't really looking to improve for my basketball career since I'm done with my senior year, I just really want to be able to dunk.

Thanks
    DL/UL
    25/0
    Mentioned
    93 times
    Time Online
    28d 5h 26m
    Avg. Time Online
    9m
    Quote Originally Posted by Tachyon View Post
    Thanks for the tips Frank, I'll definitely work on that. I'll have to check out a couple of those guides as well.

And yeah, I wasn't really looking to improve for my basketball career since I'm done with my senior year, I just really want to be able to dunk.
    The Vertical Jump Bible is online for free, its like 150 pages though. Ive read it through, really good info. Just google Vertical Jump Bible pdf.

Saiyan Race
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    23/36
    Mentioned
    3,867 times
    Time Online
    563d 5h 25m
    Avg. Time Online
    3h 13m
    Thanks for the info Frank. I'm actually working on my vertical as well. I'm 6'2" and I can almost dunk, it's not just about jumping but also your form.
    (you need an account to see links)
    (you need an account to see links)(you need an account to see links)

------------------------
    [02/24/2013] Stealth CORE is made into the first standalone Neopets auto-player.
    ------------------------

Thanks
    Mentioned
    417 times
    Time Online
    11d 9h 58m
    Avg. Time Online
    3m
    I was finally able to dunk this summer when I was 6'6". I did a jump program. If you google it, you'll find a bunch of different jump programs.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    126/0
    Mentioned
    41 times
    Time Online
    3d 13h 30m
    Avg. Time Online
    1m
    Quote Originally Posted by Tachyon View Post
    What is the best vertical jump training to get the vertical to dunk in basketball?
    I'm not really sure where to start, but I'm looking for a long term, everyday program.
    If it matters, I'm 6'4" and I can get the tips of my fingers above the rim on a straight, standing jump.

Any tips would be great!
    Im the same. 6'4 and I could jump the same amount before.
    Check out Air Alert.
    How much do you weigh? That also makes a huge difference.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    14/0
    Mentioned
    40 times
    Time Online
    5d 12h 39m
    Avg. Time Online
    1m
    im 6'1-6'2 and i can almost get there if i could palm the ball in the air i could dunk but i cant so i need to work on my vert

if i can dunk next year i would be one of like 3 that have ever dunked in a game at my school

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    47/0
    Mentioned
    10 times
    Time Online
    4d 8h 23m
    Avg. Time Online
    1m
    I am 6"5 and can barely jump at all i just stick to the ground with football