Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What supplements do you take for working out?

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    4/0
    Mentioned
    23 times
    Time Online
    7d 7h 38m
    Avg. Time Online
    2m

What supplements do you take for working out?

I'm pretty new to working out and as a girl I don't know what supplements(if any) I should take. I take my multi-vitamins, protein and will occasionally take some of my boyfriends pre-workout.

What do you take and why?

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    151/1
    Mentioned
    442 times
    Time Online
    122d 5h 2m
    Avg. Time Online
    41m
    how old are you? Over 18?

Work with one scoop of C4 extreme (any flavor) for about a month or two and move up to two scoops

Then one scoop of golden whey after

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    13/0
    Mentioned
    142 times
    Time Online
    37d 14h 40m
    Avg. Time Online
    12m
    Here's a pretty good breakdown video. Not really sure how these effect girls, so it's up to you and maybe a doctor to determine what you need. I personally use whey protein, fish oil tablets, multivitamins, and I'm trying out beta-alanine. I used pre-workouts for a few weeks, but they make my heart rate go insane, so I cut them out.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Skarner For This Useful Post:

n_eko (11-26-2015)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    34/0
    Mentioned
    315 times
    Time Online
    49d 2h 15m
    Avg. Time Online
    16m
    Waste of money. If you already have a good diet do not bother with the protein powders or supplements. The 18-30 year olds that live off the stuff and look like gorillas are jacked up on the idea that they are a wonder method...and the shit ton of caffeine that is in the products. If you have a good diet then adding the extra protein puts you at risk for kidney, heart and bone disease. Excess protein is not good. Medical studies have shown little to no effect, largely a placebo effect.

As for other supplements they are basically sugar placebos. Medical studies continually show they are just lies in a bottle. Other than maybe, and I mean maybe maybe, Vitamin D tablets if you are in a relatively non-sunny location you really do not need to take anything. Consulting with your doctor about any extra supplements is the best way to approach it.

Keep in mind questions like yours are the bread and butter for the scammers and snake oil salesmen. I know you know those people are out there waiting for someone to believe there is a magic method.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Sci_Girl For This Useful Post:

potatoespotate (11-26-2015)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    13/0
    Mentioned
    142 times
    Time Online
    37d 14h 40m
    Avg. Time Online
    12m
    Quote Originally Posted by Sci_Girl View Post
    Waste of money. If you already have a good diet do not bother with the protein powders or supplements. The 18-30 year olds that live off the stuff and look like gorillas are jacked up on the idea that they are a wonder method...and the shit ton of caffeine that is in the products. If you have a good diet then adding the extra protein puts you at risk for kidney, heart and bone disease. Excess protein is not good. Medical studies have shown little to no effect, largely a placebo effect.

As for other supplements they are basically sugar placebos. Medical studies continually show they are just lies in a bottle. Other than maybe, and I mean maybe maybe, Vitamin D tablets if you are in a relatively non-sunny location you really do not need to take anything. Consulting with your doctor about any extra supplements is the best way to approach it.

Keep in mind questions like yours are the bread and butter for the scammers and snake oil salesmen. I know you know those people are out there waiting for someone to believe there is a magic method.
    I agree with you that there are many supplement companies trying to take advantage of the average schmuck. However there are many supplements which are proven to increase physical performance.

Protein

Beta-Alanine

Added stuff in spoilers because it was just an unsightly wall of text without it.. Anyways, I hope people take the time to read some of it. I'm not a doctor or nutrition expert, so I'd recommend consulting with medical professionals before taking supplements. With that being said, supplements are exactly what they are, supplements. Hopefully people are researching what they're consuming and deciding if it's legit or snake oil.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Skarner For This Useful Post:

n_eko (11-26-2015),Todoroki (11-26-2015)

Thanks
    DL/UL
    127/0
    Mentioned
    575 times
    Time Online
    62d 4h 17m
    Avg. Time Online
    21m
    Used to take Whey Double choc think was gold+ or something was a long time back but didn't really notice to many changes using it so just stayed natural and ate Kangaroo meat more often since it's super high in protein, only down side to cooking Roo steak or mince etc is that it doesn't smell the best lmao

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    34/0
    Mentioned
    315 times
    Time Online
    49d 2h 15m
    Avg. Time Online
    16m
    Quote Originally Posted by Skarner View Post
    I agree with you that there are many supplement companies trying to take advantage of the average schmuck. However there are many supplements which are proven to increase physical performance.

Protein

Beta-Alanine

Added stuff in spoilers because it was just an unsightly wall of text without it.. Anyways, I hope people take the time to read some of it. I'm not a doctor or nutrition expert, so I'd recommend consulting with medical professionals before taking supplements. With that being said, supplements are exactly what they are, supplements. Hopefully people are researching what they're consuming and deciding if it's legit or snake oil.
    And how many of those working out, also taking magic protein powders, follow proper dietary guidelines? Or do they load up on protein?

I liked the papers though, I will read more later.

Though the protein intake alarmed me. Recommended dietary intake of protein is about .7-.8g per kg per day. 2.5-4+g/kg is already very very high.
    Last edited by Sci_Girl; 11-26-2015 at 08:59 AM.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    13/0
    Mentioned
    142 times
    Time Online
    37d 14h 40m
    Avg. Time Online
    12m
    Quote Originally Posted by Sci_Girl View Post
    And how many of those working out, also taking magic protein powders, follow proper dietary guidelines? Or do they load up on protein?

I liked the papers though, I will read more later.

Though the protein intake alarmed me. Recommended dietary intake of protein is about .7-.8g per kg per day. 2.5-4+g/kg is already very very high.
    They calculated that RDA based on the average sedentary individual and did not account for athletes/people looking to gain muscle. 4+g/kg is pretty high, but generally a lot of athletes, bodybuilders, and powerlifters stick to around 2 g/kg or 1g/lb, which is well within the safe amounts as supported by various research papers; provided the individual does not have any sort of issues with their kidneys.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    4/0
    Mentioned
    23 times
    Time Online
    7d 7h 38m
    Avg. Time Online
    2m
    how old are you? Over 18?

Work with one scoop of C4 extreme (any flavor) for about a month or two and move up to two scoops

Then one scoop of golden whey after
    Yea I'm 21, and is that a pre-workout? do you actually notice a difference?

Used to take Whey Double choc think was gold+ or something was a long time back but didn't really notice to many changes using it so just stayed natural and ate Kangaroo meat more often since it's super high in protein, only down side to cooking Roo steak or mince etc is that it doesn't smell the best lmao
    Where does one go to get Kangaroo meat..Also seems like that would be pretty expensive!
    Last edited by n_eko; 11-26-2015 at 08:49 PM.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    151/1
    Mentioned
    442 times
    Time Online
    122d 5h 2m
    Avg. Time Online
    41m
    Quote Originally Posted by n_eko View Post
    Yea I'm 21, and is that a pre-workout? do you actually notice a difference?

Where does one go to get Kangaroo meat..Also seems like that would be pretty expensive!
    C4 extreme is a pre-workout which you need to be careful with. Well, i started taking it at 16-17 (which was a bad, bad idea) and limit your first scoop. I def notice a difference, gives me a little energetic. You can also try "C4 on the Go" (same thing). This will get you sweating though like there's a cloud above your head

Golden whey is protein (mainly for post workout)