127/0
    Mentioned
    575 times
    Time Online
    62d 4h 17m
    Avg. Time Online
    21m

High fat low carb to vegan :O

I was eating a low carb high fat diet for little longer then a year lost huge weight about 40kg ish weight over that year, 3 weeks ago I decided to just go to a normal diet and kinder just ate loads of shit and put on like 10kg toned muscle slowly going out the window.

Week ago I decided to go vegan, did loads of research and such so I didn't do anything wrong and all, Week later feeling a lot more energised and sleeping a lot better and feeling fuller longer which is awesome, I've been just having one big meal when waking up then following snack meals for the rest of the day/night.

Slowly getting past cravings and addiction to certain foods and energy drinks like I was getting headaches every day for first few days and such as I was expecting, Second day was tough my mind really was stressing and actually scared because I wasn't getting what I normally would eat but I pushed through that.

Why I changed: you can do high fat low carb long term but you'll have high cholesterol then normal and I was worried about that is why I changed.

Will update in a month or so see how I do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    187 times
    Time Online
    28d 11h 14m
    Avg. Time Online
    12m
    doesn't your ldl cholesterol depend on what kinda fats you eat or something? and I heard exercise should be able to keep it under control. :o how high fat was your high fat diet actually? mostly like from nuts or something?

I don't think I could ever go vegan. :B sure, I could have a vegan meal once in a while but not everyday for the rest of my life!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to potatoespotate For This Useful Post:

Naked Gamer (11-23-2015)

Thanks
    DL/UL
    127/0
    Mentioned
    575 times
    Time Online
    62d 4h 17m
    Avg. Time Online
    21m
    Quote Originally Posted by potatoespotate View Post
    doesn't your ldl cholesterol depend on what kinda fats you eat or something? and I heard exercise should be able to keep it under control. :o how high fat was your high fat diet actually? mostly like from nuts or something?

I don't think I could ever go vegan. :B sure, I could have a vegan meal once in a while but not everyday for the rest of my life!
    too high most likely not enough green, I would tell myself a bit i would eat more salad but never did that's why i had to change. I was eating lots and lots of meat like whole roast pork and bacon with small salad, My cholesterol is like 3-4 times higher then normal on my last check my doctor jaw dropped. To begin with i was eating plenty of green and what not but just lost my way but even then my cholesterol was twice as high as normal. I'm not the best cook so meal options are limited at best.

test i got back from my doctor the other week was a wake up call to how much i strayed from eating properly on that diet. long term health is best.
    Last edited by Naked Gamer; 11-23-2015 at 09:06 PM.

Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    187 times
    Time Online
    28d 11h 14m
    Avg. Time Online
    12m
    ah, I see... diets high in saturated meat fats are typically not recommended. Fish are a better source of fats if you really want to have more of it. good on you for doing something to change your cholesterol! is it even possible for it to go that high? mine was borderline for a bit and my mom flipped out and bought supplements and stuff to control it, it didn't work till I started exercising though.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    34/0
    Mentioned
    315 times
    Time Online
    49d 2h 15m
    Avg. Time Online
    16m
    Quote Originally Posted by potatoespotate View Post

Yes the LDL is the bad cholesterol. That needs to be below 100 mg/dL. HDL is good cholesterol, 60 mg/dL or more is ideal. Trans fats, saturated fats, and general cholesterol levels in meats contribute to the additional LDL. The more fatty cuts cause the most problems. Also processed foods. Lean meats can be eaten in moderation with less risk.

too high most likely not enough green, I would tell myself a bit i would eat more salad but never did that's why i had to change. I was eating lots and lots of meat like whole roast pork and bacon with small salad, My cholesterol is like 3-4 times higher then normal on my last check my doctor jaw dropped. To begin with i was eating plenty of green and what not but just lost my way but even then my cholesterol was twice as high as normal. I'm not the best cook so meal options are limited at best.
    What were your levels? 3-4 times the LDL level you would literally be a ticking time bomb for a heart attack or stroke. Maybe you meant LDL was 3-4 times your HDL level...that can happen with poor diets. It is going to take you several months to lower your LDL if it was in that >190 mg/dL level (dangerously high). Did your doctor give you a statin to aid the reduction?
    Last edited by Sci_Girl; 11-23-2015 at 09:18 PM.

Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    187 times
    Time Online
    28d 11h 14m
    Avg. Time Online
    12m
    Quote Originally Posted by Sci_Girl View Post
    Yes the LDL is the bad cholesterol. That needs to be below 100 mg/dL. HDL is good cholesterol, 60 mg/dL or more is ideal. Trans fats, saturated fats, and general cholesterol levels in meats contribute to the additional LDL. The more fatty cuts cause the most problems. Also processed foods. Lean meats can be eaten in moderation with less risk.

What were your levels? 3-4 times the LDL level you would literally be a ticking time bomb for a heart attack or stroke. Maybe you meant LDL was 3-4 times your HDL level...that can happen with poor diets. It is going to take you several months to lower your LDL if it was in that >190 mg/dL level (dangerously high). Did your doctor give you a statin to aid the reduction?
    yep! I studied that in nutrition in uni lol. I can't remember details so specifically since I no longer apply it to my daily life haha... I do blood tests about once a year or so, but after I take a look at my results and if they're all within acceptable ranges I just toss it aside.

& yeah that was what I was wondering, if it's 3-4 times the recommended limit.... O-O I didn't even know if that was possible lol. they made quite a fuss even when I was borderline, not quite there yet but almost at the dangerous level. but then again it's probs b/c I was also young? and it shouldn't be a problem when you're a teenager. I didn't know the recommended ranges of HDL and LDL by heart so it didn't occur to me that it could be HDL vs LDL.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    2/0
    Mentioned
    13 times
    Time Online
    1d 14h 2m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    I tried keto for a while - for the fat loss results - and knew going into it that its not the best.

A typical day for me was - scrambled eggs with tons of cheese and meat for breakfast with a glass of greens

Lunch would be chicken ceasar salad with avacado

Dinner was steak/pork/more chicken with some sort of cheese.

Snacks were almonds, peanut butter etc.

Only lasted 2-3 weeks before feeling sick with myself.

Keto is sustainable yes - its a diet designed for diabetics.

But definitely can be done very wrong.

If anyone is interested in someone who does it very right there is an aussie instagrammer @ketoking

If I had the time/financial means to eat what he does I would probably have lasted longer.

Question though - why are you choosing these diets? Is it for your weight? Special condition? Intolerance to foods?

gpoy

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    19/0
    Mentioned
    86 times
    Time Online
    38d 16h 11m
    Avg. Time Online
    15m
    Yeah I tried keto too and it wasn't for me lol

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Guy For This Useful Post:

teddy (11-24-2015)

Thanks
    DL/UL
    127/0
    Mentioned
    575 times
    Time Online
    62d 4h 17m
    Avg. Time Online
    21m
    Quote Originally Posted by Sci_Girl View Post

I got a called from the people that did my blood work to see my doctor asap so I did and he just said my cholesterol was borderline 5times higher then it normally should be. Indeed he did mention he is surprised I'm alive, Surprisingly the rest of my health is fine other then that and that's why I flipped on the change of diet because I don't wanna die.

Most people who are on Ketosis diet have higher then normal cholesterol levels but I was surprised at the test I got back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    34/0
    Mentioned
    315 times
    Time Online
    49d 2h 15m
    Avg. Time Online
    16m
    This is exactly why internet fad diets are so frowned upon. The health implications can be severe but they will not tell you that in the book they push on you.

Honestly I would skip anything diet related from the internet, youtube, or cheap advert books and go to a nutritionist to get you back on track. At least they would be working to help you and not looking to scam you for your money. There is a lot of false and misguided information in regards to these diets even the "proven vegan methods" hype will come with risks. Find someone who knows what they are doing because this is going to be a long road to healthy living again. If your levels are indeed (you keep changing the values from 3x to 4x to 5 x) that high you need to be taking this extremely seriously. If I were your doctor I would want blood work every month maybe 6 weeks. I hope the best for you.