Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: So, I think my Hamster is gonna die soon...

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    13/0
    Mentioned
    5 times
    Time Online
    11h 14m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A

So, I think my Hamster is gonna die soon...

He has had a cyst (or a lump) recently (for less than a week) & he has decided to pop it -__- It has shriveled down and is developing a scab.
    He seems normal about it, running on the wheel and eating normal.
    Now his right cheek is swelling and shutting his eye.
    I think its time for him to go I've had him for over two years, and I have no idea how long hes been in the petstore/where the petstore buys hams from, but im guessing hes pretty old, hamster-wise.
    Just thought I'd share. Any thoughts on this?

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    30/0
    Mentioned
    1,998 times
    Time Online
    435d 9h 54m
    Avg. Time Online
    2h 29m
    I've had a bunch of hamsters and never had that happen to any of them, that's strange o-o

Maybe he will be fine, just a minor problem.
    What's my definition of success?
    Creating something no one else can
    Being brave enough to dream big
    Grindin' when you're told to just quit
    Giving more when you got nothin' left

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    192/0
    Mentioned
    105 times
    Time Online
    9d 19h 14m
    Avg. Time Online
    3m
    Might be swelling from the healing.

Keep an eye on your hammy. Are they eating and running around like normal?

Def take them to the vet if you can. You might end up kicking yourself over it if you don't :C

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    27/0
    Mentioned
    32 times
    Time Online
    N/A
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    gosh bring him to the vet. should've bring him when he popped it

Thanks
    DL/UL
    53/0
    Mentioned
    39 times
    Time Online
    2d 16h 2m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    This happened to my hamster and she died a week later.
    I would take him to the vet, although when I tried taking mine to the vet they were pretty unhelpful

Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    22 times
    Time Online
    1d 14h 22m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    Definitely vet time! I run a small animal rescue so I deal with shit like this all the time. Any swelling of the face can indicate tooth involvement and that's something you don't want to fuck around with as it can go bad FAST.

The lump, was it an abscess? If so he should be on antibiotics, even if it's popped. You'll want to squeeze any pus out of it if you can.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    72/0
    Mentioned
    81 times
    Time Online
    1d 17h 23m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    Hamsters are such fragile pets. Maybe yours will die soon x) Mine is getting fatter every day!

Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    22 times
    Time Online
    1d 14h 22m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    Due to the overall genetic shittyness of today's rodents, they are having more and more health issues. Ethical breeders are working to fix this, but since all stores get their stock from mills or back-yard-breeders (NO reputable breeder would sell stock to a pet store) then they're just being bred with no regards for health. Most pet stores get their small animals from small animal mills (and I'm sure we all know the horrors of puppy mills) so you can imagine why they're so fragile health-wise. The best way to help the state of today's small animals is to adopt from a rescue/humane society or buy from an ethical, reputable breeder (which are VERY hard to find - for example there are NO ethical rat breeders in all of Canada). If enough people stop buying from mill-supplied pet stores, we could shut down mills entirely (pipe dream, I know, but we all have to start somewhere!).

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Chelle For This Useful Post:

Avmo (02-26-2012)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    13/0
    Mentioned
    5 times
    Time Online
    11h 14m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    Quote Originally Posted by Zoroark View Post
    Might be swelling from the healing.

Keep an eye on your hammy. Are they eating and running around like normal?

Def take them to the vet if you can. You might end up kicking yourself over it if you don't :C
    He seems so normal about it. Running on the wheel & eating normally.
    Quote Originally Posted by gudboy View Post
    gosh bring him to the vet. should've bring him when he popped it
    Quote Originally Posted by Crayon View Post
    This happened to my hamster and she died a week later.
    I would take him to the vet, although when I tried taking mine to the vet they were pretty unhelpful
    Quote Originally Posted by Chelle View Post
    Definitely vet time! I run a small animal rescue so I deal with shit like this all the time. Any swelling of the face can indicate tooth involvement and that's something you don't want to fuck around with as it can go bad FAST.

The lump, was it an abscess? If so he should be on antibiotics, even if it's popped. You'll want to squeeze any pus out of it if you can.
    Quote Originally Posted by Slasher View Post
    Hamsters are such fragile pets. Maybe yours will die soon x) Mine is getting fatter every day!
    Quote Originally Posted by Chelle View Post
    Due to the overall genetic shittyness of today's rodents, they are having more and more health issues. Ethical breeders are working to fix this, but since all stores get their stock from mills or back-yard-breeders (NO reputable breeder would sell stock to a pet store) then they're just being bred with no regards for health. Most pet stores get their small animals from small animal mills (and I'm sure we all know the horrors of puppy mills) so you can imagine why they're so fragile health-wise. The best way to help the state of today's small animals is to adopt from a rescue/humane society or buy from an ethical, reputable breeder (which are VERY hard to find - for example there are NO ethical rat breeders in all of Canada). If enough people stop buying from mill-supplied pet stores, we could shut down mills entirely (pipe dream, I know, but we all have to start somewhere!).
    I've just taken him to the vet today, as Crayon said, they were pretty unhelpful. The bill was a hefty $45 for a 'check-up'. All they said was to bring him back if it doesn't get better in a week, if he has a week.

I'm doing what I can to keep him comfortable and healthy-rinsing his food and water bowl/tube, changing the bedding everyday, and cleaning the cage more than twice a week.

I sure hope he gets better ):

Heres a picture of him on better days (in his travel cage)

Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    22 times
    Time Online
    1d 14h 22m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    To find a rodent-knowledgeable vet is really, really tough. Not all vets know how to treat small animals or even what to do. We have to drive over an hour to our rescue's rat-knowledgeable vet. $45 sounds like an awesome price to me, because in this area it's around $80-$100 for a check up visit.

Also, I'm not sure about hamsters, I'm not very knowledgeable about them, but I know that seed mixes are very poor diets for rats. Maybe look into getting him onto a pelleted food instead (Oxbow is an awesome brand). Ironically it's easier to find nutritional information on rats because they're used in lab settings most often so the labs want them to be in peak physical condition.

I would try posting on hamster forums to find a hamster-knowledgeable vet in your area who might be more helpful to you, such as this one: (you need an account to see links)