- Rep Power
General Proxy Guidelines
Ben's General Proxy Guidelines!
WARNING: DO NOT USE IF YOU ARE A COMPLETE IDIOT.
Table Of Contents!
Section I: What are proxies?
Section II: What To Do's, and Not To Do's.
Section III: How Do I Use One? :Thinking
Section IV: What Would You Use One For? :Thinking
Section V: Conclusion/Credits/Other References
Section I: What are Proxies?
These issues keep coming about, so I'm going to answer them for everyone! While surfing the internet, it may be helpful to use a proxy to hide your IP address, so that you are anonymous; However, there are some exceptions to this rule. (Which will be explained in Section II. Proxies, in most cases are used to hide your IP address in order to surf the web, as you can't be tracked (Again, there are exceptions to this rule). I ALSO TRIED TO KEEP THIS AS BASIC AS POSSIBLE.
Section II: What To Do, and What NOT to Do.
Yes, there are some flaws to using a proxy that you may want to know before you use one, and some possible risks using them.
1) Some proxys are "Transparent", meaning that they WILL show your IP address when you are surfing the internet with a proxy, and therefore, you may get iced (Neopets), or get into legal issues (real life). AVOID THESE KIND OF PROXIES. CHECK THE LABELS BEFORE USING.
2) Not all Web Proxies are 100% anonymous. Even though you are surfing the web on them anonymous, the proxy server can get your IP/information and therefore get you into legal issues, if there is any. (Neopets probably doesn't do it, but be careful if your a hacker).
3) As with #2, Web proxies can't be always depended upon. As you may be using a web proxy (like surfing neopets), someone else may be using the SAME proxy as you, which could end up as a chain ice, if TNT catches on, which would be bad on your end.
4) Avoid Transparent Proxies, and Avoid any proxy with a port of 3127, 3128, (any in the 3000's), mostly because they are controlled by PlanetLab, a organization by Princeton, and you can't do crap on them.
5) Use proxys with a port of 8080-10416, etc. OTHER THAN in the 3000's ones.
6) Be careful what you do on proxys, and some proxys can be traced if a big investigation happens. I would recommend only using ELITE PROXIES.
7) DO NOT, and I mean it, DO NOT: Try to do illegal actions on the internet (ex. Cracking paypals, illegal actions, etc), as if you do, you may end up in jail, which would be VERY VERY VERY BAD. So avoid that. (Cheating on neopets with them is ok).
Go ahead and use a proxy to log onto neopets and do your thing if your IP banned. (I'm doing that).
9) Not all programs work with a proxy, as most proxy's are EXTREMELY SLOW. (But some might work if you try), but trying to find one is difficult and time consuming.
10) You can't create neopets accounts on proxys (sadly), you MUST either use TOR (scroll down further), or try to change your IP, or wait till your not IP Banned.
11) Be Safe, and make the right decisions!
Section III: Usage!
How Do I Use a Proxy?
A) You can do one of multiple things.
1) Use Foxyproxy (Firefox Add-on), here:
-This little snazzy addon (I use it a lot), basically can use proxys, and has a lot of features to use! Very easy to use, and I would recommend using.
My Rating: 9.8/10
2) Use Switchproxy (Firefox Add-on), here:
-I personally don't like this one, but it's another proxy configuration add-on that is quick and easy. You can also use as an anonymizer to protect your
computer from prying eyes.
My Rating: 7/10
3) Use Tor (Firefox Add-on, and application), here:
Tor Website (Application)
-Torbutton provides a button to easily enable or disable the browser's use of Tor. I personally think it sucks, as it's EXTREMELY SLOW, but it has really good privacy, and is one of the best ways to stay anonymous.
My Rating: 4/10 (ONLY BECAUSE OF ITS ANONYMITY ABILITY)
4) Use WebProxys:
-One of my favorite proxys to use online, if I really need it, Kproxy is highly dependable, and is able to use Neopets with a click of a button! Helps me a lot with managing my shell accounts .
My Rating: 8/10
-There updated site allows you to not only use their web proxy, but allows you to use their IP's for proxies as well. Premium will allow you to use the really speedy ones for 8$ (Thanks Kristin)!
My Rating: 8/10
6) Google for more webproxys! (PM me if you need suggestions)
Section IV: Why Would I Use One?
1) To stay anonymous on the internet, and to be able to freely browse the internet without having to worry about your privacy.
2) If Your IP Banned on ANY Website, including Neopets, you would want to use one to come back!.
3) If your a hacker, then you would use a proxy. (Don't be dumb and use a transparent one).
Section V: Conclusion
I Hope you learned some stuff about proxys today, and that I've helped you in some way, shape, or form, about usage and such. I hope you'll have enough knowledge to be able to use proxys, and what to do and what not to do!
-Thanks to Firefox Add-on's site for the Add-ons!
-Knowledge by me.
-Feel Free to PM me with further questions/tips/suggestions for this guide.
(I should be updating again as i was not done yet).
Thanks CK! Made by BEN ONLY @ CK.
Last edited by Ben; 12-22-2011 at 11:56 AM.
The Following 21 Users Say Thank You to Ben For This Useful Post:
anfitria (12-22-2011),Auditore (10-30-2015),
Blu (12-22-2011),Brett (01-08-2012),Crow (09-30-2013),cute. (02-14-2016),Evelsaint (12-23-2011),lilangel (01-11-2012),Liv (02-26-2012),loucamente (01-28-2012),Meitedlce (12-23-2011),Mylo (10-31-2015),Neal Caffrey (06-11-2015),Nik (11-27-2012),Ray-Chill (01-10-2012),Rosa (04-23-2014),Slasher (01-18-2012),SnoLeopard (06-25-2014),Tempa (12-22-2011),Vixen (02-24-2012),Yoku (01-06-2012)
- Rep Power
If someone uses a public proxy that you use, and they get chained frozen....you'll be affected too. =S
Anyone else thought about that?
Last edited by Blu; 12-22-2011 at 12:10 PM.
- Rep Power
This is true. You can get chained if someone else uses it before you. Which is why I choose ones that other people won't choose.
Originally Posted by Blu
- Rep Power
The slowest ones I assume lol.
- Rep Power
No i have my secrets that I won't disclose
What's the difference between HTTP and HTTPS? HTTPS are going much faster when I tryed, but I image they are less protecting me?
Any hints on any special way to actually choose a good proxy that people wont use? lol.
Originally Posted by Ben
This is an excellent guide and I appreciate your making it, Ben!
It's been two weeks but im not sure if your question was ever answered
Most web addresses begin with "HTTP," which is an acronym for "Hyper Text Transfer Protocol." It's the protocol used to allow you to communicate with web sites.
"HTTPS" stands for "Hyper Text Transfer Protocol Secure." It means that information exchanged between you and a web site is encrypted and cannot be hijacked by someone who might want to electronically eavesdrop when you type a credit card number, a password, a social security number, or any other person information.
The purpose of the email is to encourage you to check for the "HTTPS" before you give financial information. Most web sites are not HTTPS, but when you click a link to make a purchase, many of them will direct you to an HTTPS site.
According to Verisign.com, a provider of Internet infrastructure services, Secure Socket Layer Encryption is a technology that protects Web sites and makes it easy to develop trust by means of an "SSL Certificate that enables encryption of sensitive information during online transactions. Each SSL Certificate contains unique, authenticated information about the certificate owner and a Certificate Authority verifies the identity of the certificate owner when it is issued. "
Just because a website uses such SSL encryption does not safeguard internet users from phishing and other schemes. When visiting websites that accept financial information online it is always a wise practice to make sure the online company is legitimate, has a good reputation in customer service and uses SSL encryption in their transactions.
The Following User Says Thank You to Victoria For This Useful Post:
Thanks a lot