27/0
    Mentioned
    242 times
    Time Online
    123d 34m
    Avg. Time Online
    50m
    Quote Originally Posted by keighty View Post
    I would love some tips on how to improve my 5k time. I have been trying to work on speed (400 repeats) + indurance training (4-5 miles on my long run saturday).
    Your long runs need to be longer than 4 or 5miles and your speed workouts need to be more than 400s.
    If you're looking to improve your 5k time, your long run of the week needs to be 20-25% of your total distance for the week. Why? If your body only recognizes you running a mile or so more than the actual race itself, it won't be able to withstand running about the same distance on a competitive level. The long runs don't have to be fast, and can be a little slower than your regular runs.

If you're trying to keep a better overall pace in a 5k, your workout should be ~3.5miles such as mile, mile and a half, half mile, half mile. with 1-2minute breaks in between each.
    It'll be more than your actual race, but the breaks will help, and you can always crush the half miles at the end.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to looklook123123 For This Useful Post:

keighty (10-25-2015)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    6/0
    Mentioned
    3 times
    Time Online
    7h 59m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    thanks, ill have to work my way up to 13 miles anyways for my half, and my middle of the week runs are usually 1 mile run, 1 min break X 3 or 4. Thanks! i will start incorporating those into my training, I need new ideas anyways to not get too bored

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    6/0
    Mentioned
    3 times
    Time Online
    7h 59m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    I reeeeeeeeeallly want to go run today (Sunday Runday!) but its pouring down ran. I don't mind running in the rain, but not a downpour. I also HATE running on a treadmill