30/0
    Mentioned
    1,998 times
    Time Online
    437d 21h 38m
    Avg. Time Online
    2h 30m
    Quote Originally Posted by cookiemunster View Post
    I love running and really miss it. I used to run about 5 miles every day. A few years ago I was in a bad accident and I haven't ran since then. After surgery and a few years of recovery now I'm finally not in pain every day. I feel like I'm at a point where I /can/ start getting back into running, but I'm scared. lol I don't know how to start from scratch and I'm scared I'm going to get hurt again. If anyone has any advice throw it at me please. C:
    The toughest part is getting started. Some people who have never really done muchh running give up shortly after starting because they don't want to push through. Getting started is the worst because you have to deal with the struggle that is 'getting back into shape'. Id say start off slow. Do some light fun run kind of things. Mix in a little strength training then finish off with a little more intense running.
    When I started getting into the swing of things (and what I plan to do soon) is to do about a one mile warm up at a jog. Do so strength/weight training in the middle, then finish off with another mile or two. Up it or cut it back as you need to. Realistically, you know what would work best for you since you've had experience with things.
    What's my definition of success?
    Creating something no one else can
    Being brave enough to dream big
    Grindin' when you're told to just quit
    Giving more when you got nothin' left

2. The Following User Says Thank You to I_royalty_I For This Useful Post:

cookiemunster (10-24-2015)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    3/0
    Mentioned
    102 times
    Time Online
    24d 23h 32m
    Avg. Time Online
    11m
    Quote Originally Posted by I_royalty_I View Post
    The toughest part is getting started. Some people who have never really done muchh running give up shortly after starting because they don't want to push through. Getting started is the worst because you have to deal with the struggle that is 'getting back into shape'. Id say start off slow. Do some light fun run kind of things. Mix in a little strength training then finish off with a little more intense running.
    When I started getting into the swing of things (and what I plan to do soon) is to do about a one mile warm up at a jog. Do so strength/weight training in the middle, then finish off with another mile or two. Up it or cut it back as you need to. Realistically, you know what would work best for you since you've had experience with things.
    Thanks for the tips. c: I guess I should just try to suck it up and get up early tomorrow for a run. Getting started is the absolute worst. lol I definitely need to start slow though, because I'm really accident/injury prone.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    30/0
    Mentioned
    1,998 times
    Time Online
    437d 21h 38m
    Avg. Time Online
    2h 30m
    Quote Originally Posted by cookiemunster View Post
    Thanks for the tips. c: I guess I should just try to suck it up and get up early tomorrow for a run. Getting started is the absolute worst. lol I definitely need to start slow though, because I'm really accident/injury prone.
    You don't even have to wake up early. I used to tell myself I'd get up early and get a run in but I'm not even close to a morning person so it wasn't realistic at all. I usually go to the gym late in the evenings or mid afternoon. Get to it whenever sounds good to you.
    I know that struggle. I didn't have any injury as intense as yours, but I had lots of little ones. The worst was probably when I chipped a piece of bone of my hip. This was back when I was doing XC. I was crushing the course and doing so well but then I just got an immense cramp and slowed to a crawl. The doc said he can't believe I finished running a race considering most people are curled up in pain when something like that happens. Adrenaline I guess lol

Keep track of how far you run and your times too btw! If you keep track of things and see improvements you'll be more likely to stick with things.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    3/0
    Mentioned
    102 times
    Time Online
    24d 23h 32m
    Avg. Time Online
    11m
    You don't even have to wake up early. I used to tell myself I'd get up early and get a run in but I'm not even close to a morning person so it wasn't realistic at all. I usually go to the gym late in the evenings or mid afternoon. Get to it whenever sounds good to you.
    I know that struggle. I didn't have any injury as intense as yours, but I had lots of little ones. The worst was probably when I chipped a piece of bone of my hip. This was back when I was doing XC. I was crushing the course and doing so well but then I just got an immense cramp and slowed to a crawl. The doc said he can't believe I finished running a race considering most people are curled up in pain when something like that happens. Adrenaline I guess lol

Keep track of how far you run and your times too btw! If you keep track of things and see improvements you'll be more likely to stick with things.
    I like to go in the mornings so it's not as hot, but I'm also not a morning person at all. I would go at night, but I have to take the little ones with me and they go to bed early. We'll see though. I'll figure something out. Oh yeah, keeping track is another good idea, thanks.
    Ouch, I just cringed reading that and I totally feel your pain. You don't realize how much you use your hips until you injure one. I would rather get stabbed than have another bad hip injury. lol

Good luck with your 5k tomorrow!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to cookiemunster For This Useful Post:

I_royalty_I (10-25-2015)

Thanks
    DL/UL
    127/0
    Mentioned
    575 times
    Time Online
    62d 4h 17m
    Avg. Time Online
    21m
    I started too for a little but I just don't have the lungs or maybe my breathing but either way I was always out of breath after little bit. I like to ride a bike though and Row.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    30/0
    Mentioned
    1,998 times
    Time Online
    437d 21h 38m
    Avg. Time Online
    2h 30m
    Quote Originally Posted by scarmans View Post
    I started too for a little but I just don't have the lungs or maybe my breathing but either way I was always out of breath after little bit. I like to ride a bike though and Row.

Id imagine rowing would be a pretty good workout. Being out of breathe just means you have to stick with it. That's the struggle you face when you're just starting out. You've got to push through it until you get in better shape and running get easier. It's never truly "easy" but it becomes more enjoyable. You should focus on your breathing. Try to control it, deeper breathes. Also, your form may be an issue. Some people swing their arms side to side. That tires out your upper body quicker. Move your arms front to back. It may feel a little strange but you'll be more efficient.
    Eventually you'll never to the point where you're not exhausted and you can take a good run while not feeling like you're going to die haha

9. The Following User Says Thank You to I_royalty_I For This Useful Post:

Naked Gamer (10-25-2015)

Thanks
    DL/UL
    127/0
    Mentioned
    575 times
    Time Online
    62d 4h 17m
    Avg. Time Online
    21m
    Id imagine rowing would be a pretty good workout. Being out of breathe just means you have to stick with it. That's the struggle you face when you're just starting out. You've got to push through it until you get in better shape and running get easier. It's never truly "easy" but it becomes more enjoyable. You should focus on your breathing. Try to control it, deeper breathes. Also, your form may be an issue. Some people swing their arms side to side. That tires out your upper body quicker. Move your arms front to back. It may feel a little strange but you'll be more efficient.
    Eventually you'll never to the point where you're not exhausted and you can take a good run while not feeling like you're going to die haha
    Hahaha probably right! Running never been my thing.

I love doing rowing it's fun and good upper body/core workout and just love it, pretty good form there, Same with on the bike. Yeah I always get to the point when running my lungs going to explode haha and get like a stitch feeling probably why I just give up on that.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    27/0
    Mentioned
    242 times
    Time Online
    123d 34m
    Avg. Time Online
    50m
    I got sick once and stopped breathing out of my nose but if you can breathe through your nose as opposed your mouth that will also help, especially early on.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    30/0
    Mentioned
    1,998 times
    Time Online
    437d 21h 38m
    Avg. Time Online
    2h 30m
    Quote Originally Posted by scarmans View Post
    Hahaha probably right! Running never been my thing.

I love doing rowing it's fun and good upper body/core workout and just love it, pretty good form there, Same with on the bike. Yeah I always get to the point when running my lungs going to explode haha and get like a stitch feeling probably why I just give up on that.

I know how that feels haha. That's how it feels everytime im starting to get back into the swing of things. If you control your breathing a little more, deeper breathes and breathing through your nose like @(you need an account to see links) said, it will cut down on the side cramps. Otherwise, just put your hands on your head or above your head and it will help them dissipate quicker.

I got a cramp towards the end of my 5k I did today but I was trying to keep up with a few people and took off a little too quick. I should have stuck to a nice jog but nothing even goes according to plan lol

13. The Following User Says Thank You to I_royalty_I For This Useful Post:

Naked Gamer (10-25-2015)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    6/0
    Mentioned
    3 times
    Time Online
    7h 59m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    I would love some tips on how to improve my 5k time. I have been trying to work on speed (400 repeats) + indurance training (4-5 miles on my long run saturday).