127/0
    Mentioned
    575 times
    Time Online
    62d 4h 17m
    Avg. Time Online
    21m

Diet change help.

For sometime now I've lived on a high fat no carb diet, health wise doing great besides my cholesterol which is like twice as high as normal. I eat loads of salad and greens with nice greasy oiled up meat which in the year and 3months if been eating this way I dropped from 136kg to 91kg an I'm very fit and go to gym, walk my dogs and go walking with my girl(I almost said walking my girl lol), I eat like kilo to two kilo of meat every day with loads of salad. Meat always dripping in oil :b. Hope no one has heart attack reading this lol.

only think I'm really worried about is that higher cholesterol further down the track and I've been looking to change to raw fruit diet or something similar to that because I used to love fruit and I want that. Changing over straight up though i'm not sure about and changes on my body
    I know I'll loose the ability to bench like 130+kg with the change and lose of protein.

Detoxing? Idk help me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    34/0
    Mentioned
    315 times
    Time Online
    49d 2h 15m
    Avg. Time Online
    16m
    Detox is a salesman word. Pure garbage.

If you want high protein without all the grease just switch over to legumes. Beans and lentils. Massive amounts of protein without the high cholesterol to worry about from red meat. You could also eat fish, that means salmon, if you are wanting healthy fats without the overdose of cholesterol. And you do not need to worry about cholesterol long term if you are still eating a balanced diet of fruits and veggies. Especially if you have only been eating high protein for only a few months. Eat red meat in high volumes daily for 5-10 years and you may be on to something bad.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sci_Girl For This Useful Post:

cute. (02-14-2016),potatoespotate (02-14-2016)

Thanks
    DL/UL
    127/0
    Mentioned
    575 times
    Time Online
    62d 4h 17m
    Avg. Time Online
    21m
    Quote Originally Posted by Sci_Girl View Post
    Detox is a salesman word. Pure garbage.

If you want high protein without all the grease just switch over to legumes. Beans and lentils. Massive amounts of protein without the high cholesterol to worry about from red meat. You could also eat fish, that means salmon, if you are wanting healthy fats without the overdose of cholesterol. And you do not need to worry about cholesterol long term if you are still eating a balanced diet of fruits and veggies. Especially if you have only been eating high protein for only a few months. Eat red meat in high volumes daily for 5-10 years and you may be on to something bad.
    Been year and a bit, I don't eat any fruits at the moment. High protein doesn't worry me at all. I'll add fruits in and chance it up a bit

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    6/0
    Mentioned
    3 times
    Time Online
    7h 59m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    I certainly wouldn't change overnight to a raw food diet. Just start slowly incorporating things like egg whites, low fat meats (fish, chicken, lean ground beef), even low fat greek yogurt which has a lot of protein. Leafy greens can be a good way to help get in healthier foods with out a lot of added calories or carbs. Also start transitioning to good fats like avacados, nuts, nut butters (peanut butter or almond butter), and salmon.

You dont have to change things drastically, but small changes in the right direction will help with cholesterol and overall health. You only have one heart after all <3

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    3/0
    Mentioned
    36 times
    Time Online
    13d 24m
    Avg. Time Online
    5m
    just a disclaimer: i'm not a doctor. i'm studying pharmacy which means we've done like one piddly course on nutrition so i don't have as much knowledge as a doctor or a nutritionist, but here's my take based on the literature i've read.

nutrition changes so often. when we were in primary school, the carbs like bread, cereal and pasta were at the base while vegetables and fruit were a lower priority. then it changed to a food pie chart and now it's back to a pyramid except this time, vegetables and fruit are at the base and they have exercise and water listed as well. nutrition is such a new science that you shouldn't believe any one diet (e.g. keto, Mediterranean, raw food, etc.) is better than another.

(you need an account to see links) here's the conclusion they came to:

Significant weight loss was observed with any low-carbohydrate or low-fat diet. Weight loss differences between individual named diets were small. This supports the practice of recommending any diet that a patient will adhere to in order to lose weight.
    sure, some people swear by keto or paleo or whatever but a hundred anecdotes aren't as good as 1/10th of the quality of a meta-analysis. if you're trying to lose weight, the macros you eat are far less important than the total caloric intake. don't fall for fad diets man. humans have spent six million years evolving and most of them weren't obese despite the fact they knew jack shit about calories and nutrition. i can say for sure, (you need an account to see links). you need a good mix of all the food groups to get everything you need - you're going to be missing out on a lot of animal proteins, (you need an account to see links), etc. unless you mean raw food, but that's a tedious fad and i suspect it only works because it makes you conscious of what you eat.

what i do know as a pharmacy student is that the biggest way to non-pharmacologically reduce lipid levels is obviously to eat less fat. this is separated into three different things: saturated fat, total fat, and dietary cholesterol. can't remember the current guidelines but you can probably google it. make sure you have enough fibre too! fibre affects fat absorption a lot, plus it keeps you full which i'm guessing is what you want. since you lift, make sure you eat enough protein on top of that 4 mad gainz.

increasing the intake of plant stanols/sterols in your diet is also shown to help. guidelines say 2-3g daily is what you need so don't expect to get your entire intake by scraping some margarine on your toast in the morning. the way it works is that it competes with the cholesterols to get absorbed into your body, which is why you need such a high dose. if that makes sense.

tl;dr there is no superior diet. if you need to lose weight, just count calories and eat nutritional food to get those calories.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Ribbon For This Useful Post:

DJ Music Man (10-24-2015)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    2/0
    Mentioned
    8 times
    Time Online
    1d 3h 36m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    yeah you definitely almost gave me a heart attack with the amount of oily meat you eat!
    i certainly agree with what everyone is saying here. substituting the red meats for legumes, beans and fish will not only decrease your chances of getting high cholesterol levels but also SIGNIFICANTLY decrease your chances of getting bowel cancer. atlantic red fish such as salmon and trout are also full of essential omega 3 which is excellent for brain function AND is a great substitute for your high saturated oils diet, and there are also avocados, olive oil, nuts and the list goes on.
    at the end of the day, everything is healthy but in moderation!