Thanks
    Mentioned
    219 times
    Time Online
    40d 7h 25m
    Avg. Time Online
    15m

Fasting tips?

I've been eating poorly for a few years, feeling unhealthy. Decided to go on a fast to reset my feelings about food because I'm addicted to junk. I'm looking to do a 5 day fast to clean out my system among other benefits. Has anyone done a fast like this and do you have any tips?

Some websites say to just stick to water for the duration of it, but I'm wondering about blood sugar and electrolyte imbalances.

Thanks for the help!

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    34/0
    Mentioned
    315 times
    Time Online
    49d 2h 15m
    Avg. Time Online
    16m
    To be honest you will be doing more harm than good with a fast. There is no such thing as body detox diets or those other similar worded fasts and such. It is snake oile salesmen looking for a quick buck. Your liver, kidneys, and skin do the work of ridding your body of harmful things. Your body needs sustenance to properly function. Without proper diet of at least some food your body will enter a survival mode in which it will start to consume itself for energy. That is not good as you will then have to deal with the out of whack body systems. Simply do not fast.

Instead avoid the foods that cause you the problem. Of course that is easier said than done. But if there is no junk food in the house you cannot go straight to it. You will need to start incorporating the more healthy foods into your diet. Try vegetables and dip rather than a bag of chips. Order the side salad instead of the plate of fries. There is no need to overhaul to rabbit food and overwhelm yourself. Just go slow and it will become easier.

3. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Sci_Girl For This Useful Post:

Banannie (10-16-2015),Cath (10-16-2015),Ghosts (10-16-2015),hissi (10-16-2015),I_royalty_I (10-16-2015),teddy (10-16-2015)

Thanks
    DL/UL
    127/0
    Mentioned
    575 times
    Time Online
    62d 4h 17m
    Avg. Time Online
    21m
    Fasting will make you put on more weight if you've been eating not to great for some time. Body is weird!

You're better off going out buying few kilo of oranges and detox that way and drink loads of water with lemon in it. Real lemon!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    2/0
    Mentioned
    243 times
    Time Online
    45d 4h 18m
    Avg. Time Online
    18m
    I wouldn't recommend fasting for more than 1 or 2 days.

Maybe just start eating healthy instead of punishing yourself for what's happened in the past

Thanks
    DL/UL
    127/0
    Mentioned
    575 times
    Time Online
    62d 4h 17m
    Avg. Time Online
    21m
    don't believe those video where people just drink water for like 20 days as well your body will load it on faster thinking it might not get another meal for a while that and it's extremely dangerous to just only have water and nothing else.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    12/0
    Mentioned
    135 times
    Time Online
    29d 1h 11m
    Avg. Time Online
    11m
    i wouldn't suggest fasting to anyone
    you end up feeling starved (obviously), uncomfortable and grumpy

plus you'll probably be so hungry that you'll just binge on whatever is there after your "fast"
    counterproductive in my opinion

just drink a lot of water and eat relatively healthy raw foods (nothing processed or too sugary) and your body will love you

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Curse For This Useful Post:

Naked Gamer (10-16-2015),teddy (10-16-2015)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    20/0
    Mentioned
    22 times
    Time Online
    18d 8h 38m
    Avg. Time Online
    6m
    Going to go against the grain here and say I have done this..and it helps a lot. After 3 days you don't actually feel hungry, weight drops off like mad (some comes right back on when you start eating again, not all) and it helps get rid of junk food cravings. I did 7 days, lost 16 pounds (8 was clearly water weight as it came straight back, rest still hasn't come back) had boatloads of energy, and only actually felt weak on day 2.

Advice I will give though if you are set on doing this...ease yourself back into eating gradually. Search up on 'breaking a fast safely' or you will make yourself ill.

ETA mine was just water. Its not about cleansing your body so to speak, but more about giving your digestive system a rest. Hence just water :p Some people do eat raw veg and stuff while fasting though, can't comment on the effectiveness of that as I haven't tried it.
    Last edited by vj87; 10-16-2015 at 06:53 PM.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    3/0
    Mentioned
    9 times
    Time Online
    7d 8h 31m
    Avg. Time Online
    3m
    I havent tried it...
    but lets just say i "diet a lot"....
    and im a health nut...
    if you eat raw veggies whilst fasting, its gonna make your metabolism not slow down during the fasting process... but the con to this is, it can have a reverse side effect of making you crave more food whilst on the fast...
    which can lead to binging on your fast...
    many people do it so that they dont have to worry about getting hungry... and it can do that... if you are willing to binge on veggies...
    thats when it will be affective...

---------- Post added at 08:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:32 PM ----------

oh and some tips...
    -drink LOTS of water... THAT is what will work best for you.. it tricks your stomach to think that its full... and you wont be wanting to binge a lot like i said above
    - get some fresh air, go outside, stay away from the kitchen
    - if you want to eat something, but you know its really bad for you... just count to 50, the craving will be gone...
    DONT FAST TOO MUCH THO, DO IT IN MODERATION
    i wouldnt want anything bad to happen to you...
    this is coming from a person who "diets a lot"

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    12/0
    Mentioned
    135 times
    Time Online
    29d 1h 11m
    Avg. Time Online
    11m
    honestly, i get such an eating disorder vibe when people legitimately think fasting is a good idea

food is energy and it keeps you alive
    instead of just not eating, eat healthier stuff
    no matter what anyone says you need at least 1,200 calories per day for your brain and body to function correctly

i've gone days without eating and all i lost was water weight
    i became extremely exhausted, irritable and honestly.. miserable
    it isn't worth it lol

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Curse For This Useful Post:

Sci_Girl (10-16-2015)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    34/0
    Mentioned
    315 times
    Time Online
    49d 2h 15m
    Avg. Time Online
    16m
    Quote Originally Posted by Daisy View Post
    honestly, i get such an eating disorder vibe when people legitimately think fasting is a good idea

food is energy and it keeps you alive
    instead of just not eating, eat healthier stuff
    no matter what anyone says you need at least 1,200 calories per day for your brain and body to function correctly

i've gone days without eating and all i lost was water weight
    i became extremely exhausted, irritable and honestly.. miserable
    it isn't worth it lol
    It's because too often people want the fast way out of things. So they read "lose 10-20 lbs in just one week!!!"...they do not mention the part that the reason weight is lost is because you need to physically starve yourself. So yeah you will lose weight...because your body is consuming itself since you will not feed it! Then there are people who swear by fasting that it really does work...again, you are starving yourself so of course you lost weight. It is hard and very difficult to change eating habits no way around that.

Religous fasting is an entirely different matter if anyone is thinking of that. Whole different set of reasons.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Sci_Girl For This Useful Post:

Curse (10-16-2015)