Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: What's the best way to lose weight?

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    5/0
    Mentioned
    16 times
    Time Online
    28d 52m
    Avg. Time Online
    12m
    Personally, I don't think diets work.
    It requires you to stick to a certain food routine, and once you slip out of that routine you basically gain the weight back.

Exercise is the best way to go.

I love food too much to go on a diet.
    If you splurge on food that day, then exercise more to burn it off. You'll feel better as well in the long run.
    I wouldn't go out of your way to avoid food, track what you eat so you'll be little more aware.
    Fitbits are magical when it comes to tracking.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    27/0
    Mentioned
    1,190 times
    Time Online
    162d 23h 43m
    Avg. Time Online
    57m
    Quote Originally Posted by RaineyM View Post
    It requires you to stick to a certain food routine, and once you slip out of that routine you basically gain the weight back.

If you splurge on food that day, then exercise more to burn it off. You'll feel better as well in the long run.
    I wouldn't go out of your way to avoid food, track what you eat so you'll be little more aware.
    Do you have an idea of how long + how often should I exercise each week to keep myself motivated and have weight losses?
    I have never really worked out, so I'm really clueless when it comes to exercising. I'm scared I either won't exercise enough or I will be so hardcore that I'll drop it after a week.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    3/0
    Mentioned
    36 times
    Time Online
    13d 24m
    Avg. Time Online
    5m
    Quote Originally Posted by RaineyM View Post

That's the misconception.
    People reach their goal weight and then slip back into old habits, which causes them to gain it all back.
    What people don't realise about maintaining their weight is they're going to have to eat like that for the rest of their lives. "Diet" isn't a phase or a fad, the literal meaning for that word is "the kinds of food that somebody usually eats". Going on a diet means making changes to the way you eat food (and sustaining those changes for life) rather than starving themselves or w/e cosmopolitan says.
    Because ultimately, it all just boils down to calories in/calories out.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ribbon For This Useful Post:

Cath (10-07-2015),DJ Music Man (10-07-2015)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    5/0
    Mentioned
    16 times
    Time Online
    28d 52m
    Avg. Time Online
    12m
    Quote Originally Posted by Cath View Post
    Do you have an idea of how long + how often should I exercise each week to keep myself motivated and have weight losses?
    I have never really worked out, so I'm really clueless when it comes to exercising. I'm scared I either won't exercise enough or I will be so hardcore that I'll drop it after a week.
    I think paying for a membership kinda motivates me to go. Staying at home will give you excuses/distractions
    Try to work your way up to exercising at least 5 days a week, for at least an hour a day. Once you get used to it, you'll enjoy it.

Obviously, don't overwhelm yourself when you first start out.
    The key idea is to just have at least an hour a day where you're constantly moving. Maybe go for a mile everyday for the first week, 1.5 the second, and so on.

@(you need an account to see links), you're right. I think it is one of the most difficult lifestyle changes. I am still absolutely terrible when it comes to watching what I eat.
    Last edited by Rainey; 10-07-2015 at 04:27 PM. Reason: Format

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Rainey For This Useful Post:

Cath (10-07-2015)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    3/0
    Mentioned
    248 times
    Time Online
    58d 6h 40m
    Avg. Time Online
    22m
    @(you need an account to see links)
    I would say once every two weeks is a great place to start. (:

I love Jess

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Roslyn For This Useful Post:

Cath (10-07-2015)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    48/0
    Mentioned
    33 times
    Time Online
    5d 16h 5m
    Avg. Time Online
    2m
    I lost 15kg after high school (still overweight tho ).. but I haven't gained any of it back so I guess thats OK
    I was going to the gym about 4 times a week or once every other day, and the only real change I made in my diet was for lunch every day I'd have a big bowl of salad with a can of tuna!
    At the gym I'd do 30 minutes on the treadmill and another 30 minutes on weights or machines.

If you're just starting out I recommend just eating a little bit less every meal, and exercising maybe once or twice a week. It took me about 4 months to lose the weight I did, but I can tell you that I did not have a great time during that period and that may deter people from doing it at all.

I've wanted to do it again but I keep putting it off.. uni and stuff have made me put it off for 3 years!
    Last edited by John_; 10-07-2015 at 06:50 PM.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to John_ For This Useful Post:

Cath (10-07-2015)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    27/0
    Mentioned
    1,190 times
    Time Online
    162d 23h 43m
    Avg. Time Online
    57m
    Quote Originally Posted by John_ View Post
    I lost 15kg after high school (still overweight tho ).. but I haven't gained any of it back so I guess thats OK
    I was going to the gym about 4 times a week or once every other day, and the only real change I made in my diet was for lunch every day I'd have a big bowl of salad with a can of tuna!
    At the gym I'd do 30 minutes on the treadmill and another 30 minutes on weights or machines.

If you're just starting out I recommend just eating a little bit less every meal, and exercising maybe once or twice a week. It took me about 4 months to lose the weight I did, but I can tell you that I did not have a great time during that period and that may deter people from doing it at all.

I've wanted to do it again but I keep putting it off.. uni and stuff have made me put it off for 3 years!
    I think I'll try to reduce my portions in each meal. I'll definitely try to eat less than I have been for the past years, and try to eat more veggie/fruits when I'm hungry. 15kg in 4 months is great! I really want that kind of motivation so I can keep going.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    34/0
    Mentioned
    315 times
    Time Online
    49d 2h 15m
    Avg. Time Online
    16m
    Do you have a dog? Or know someone who does? Since you have not really worked out before you will want to ease into it. Simply taking the dog for a long walk is a good way to start. Your cardio will need to be up to par to do any of the workouts you see.

The worst I found when I tried to work out they would say a starter workout was run for 1 minute then rest 30 seconds, run another straight minute rest for 30 seconds for 10 minutes in total. I am so out of shape I could not do that, so out of breath and chest pains I thought I was having a heart attack. But I built up my endurance by taking the dogs for a walk and running every once and awhile rather than a period of time like the Internet said. Slowly but surely I could get to running a minute straight. But it sure hurt even when I could. I hate working out because of that lol. If you can run for a minute on and off then power to you lol.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Sci_Girl For This Useful Post:

Cath (10-07-2015)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    48/0
    Mentioned
    33 times
    Time Online
    5d 16h 5m
    Avg. Time Online
    2m
    Quote Originally Posted by Cath View Post
    I think I'll try to reduce my portions in each meal. I'll definitely try to eat less than I have been for the past years, and try to eat more veggie/fruits when I'm hungry. 15kg in 4 months is great! I really want that kind of motivation so I can keep going.
    The hardest part about it is finding the time every day or every few days to exercise and develop a schedule. Once you get into it I think you'll be fine! Good luck :3

I hope I can find that motivation again too lol - another 15kg down and I'd be in a healthy weight range I'm pretty sure.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    27/0
    Mentioned
    1,190 times
    Time Online
    162d 23h 43m
    Avg. Time Online
    57m
    Quote Originally Posted by Sci_Girl View Post
    Do you have a dog? Or know someone who does? Since you have not really worked out before you will want to ease into it. Simply taking the dog for a long walk is a good way to start. Your cardio will need to be up to par to do any of the workouts you see.

The worst I found when I tried to work out they would say a starter workout was run for 1 minute then rest 30 seconds, run another straight minute rest for 30 seconds for 10 minutes in total. I am so out of shape I could not do that, so out of breath and chest pains I thought I was having a heart attack. But I built up my endurance by taking the dogs for a walk and running every once and awhile rather than a period of time like the Internet said. Slowly but surely I could get to running a minute straight. But it sure hurt even when I could. I hate working out because of that lol. If you can run for a minute on and off then power to you lol.
    I don't have a dog nor have any close friend/family with one sadly. I will definitely try the 1 minute run/30 seconds rest. (Does the "rest" part mean walking or really being immobile?) I'll let you know how it goes! lol

---------- Post added at 06:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:08 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by John_ View Post
    The hardest part about it is finding the time every day or every few days to exercise and develop a schedule. Once you get into it I think you'll be fine! Good luck :3

I hope I can find that motivation again too lol - another 15kg down and I'd be in a healthy weight range I'm pretty sure.
    Let's be motivated together then! I keep telling myself I'll lose weight eventually and reporting any exercise session, but this time, I think I gotta do it. I can't just think about it, I need to make a change.