Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What's the best way to lose weight?

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    27/0
    Mentioned
    1,190 times
    Time Online
    162d 23h 43m
    Avg. Time Online
    58m

What's the best way to lose weight?

I must admit that I've been reporting this for years, but I really want to lose about 20 pounds...

I have a treadmill at home, but I'm not really sure how to use it to lose as much weight as possible.
    (Like how long each session? Do I need to do walking/running intervals? How many times a week for a beginner?)

What else should I be doing (preferably at home) that can help me lose weight?

I also need advices to keep myself motivated. I do want to lose weight. I do want to find myself pretty and sexy. But after 24-48 hours, I always get back to the "whatever, I look good anyway and I like eating pastas" way of thinking. Any tips to keep focussed and not want to go back to old habits? (I don't eat any junk food/chips/dessert, but I just can't stop myself eating pastas/bread/and such)

Any help is appreciated!

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    3/0
    Mentioned
    36 times
    Time Online
    13d 23m
    Avg. Time Online
    5m
    Weight loss is like 80% diet and 20% exercise
    Actually scratch that. Weight loss can be like 100% diet & no exercise at all - there's always that adage that you can't outrun a bad diet.
    It's important for health purposes (cardiovascular health n stuff) but it's not going to help you lose much weight if you don't change the way you eat. If you want to start getting into running too, I recommend the couch to 5k program to get started but this takes a backseat to the changes in the dietary habits you have.

What you should do is:
    1. calculate your TDEE (google TDEE calculator)
    2. eat below your TDEE
    3. be patient and persevere!

Use something like myfitnesspal to log everything you eat to see if you're on track. Use a scale, rather than an approximation because everyone tends to overestimate
    Find out what works for you - a lot of people swear by light, frequent meals to keep you full but I prefer eating regular meals less frequently
    and join forums that talk about weight loss to keep you motivated. don't weigh yourself for like a month after dieting because people get hella discouraged after day 3 when they find out you don't lose very much on a day-to-day basis.
    Instead of having cheat days, have a cheat meal instead before you get back into the rhythm of things.

It really is that simple on paper - it's just the fact that it takes time and willpower which makes lifestyle changes hard.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Ribbon For This Useful Post:

Cath (10-07-2015)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    30/0
    Mentioned
    1,998 times
    Time Online
    435d 9h 54m
    Avg. Time Online
    2h 29m
    That's a very reasonable goal that im sure you'll have no trouble reaching. You don't need to starve yourself or eat tons of healthy foods that you hate in order to get there. That's actually a terrible way to go about t because once you reach your goal you will probably be inclined to slip back into your old habits.

Portions can play a big role. Eat smaller portions and add in a few healthier options. Grab some fruits or veggies to go along with lunch instead of whatever you currently get. You can have pasta but serve yourself less and eat it slowly. Pasta is filling and with the right things mixed in it can definitely be healthy. Carbs aren't all bad.

There isn't really a set amount you should do cardio unless you plan on making it a regular thing. I started with a half mile to a mile warm up, then did some weight lifting, core and then another two miles or so running. Mix it up. Do whatever sounds good for that day but always push yourself. You won't be doing yourself any favors if you work out at a comfortable level.

Youll get where you want to be in no time, even though you're perfectly fine as you are!
    What's my definition of success?
    Creating something no one else can
    Being brave enough to dream big
    Grindin' when you're told to just quit
    Giving more when you got nothin' left

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to I_royalty_I For This Useful Post:

Cath (10-07-2015),Lyric (10-07-2015),♥ Munna ♥ (10-08-2015)

Thanks
    DL/UL
    127/0
    Mentioned
    575 times
    Time Online
    62d 4h 17m
    Avg. Time Online
    21m

What's the best way to lose weight?

When I was fat (bad memories) I did 0% exercise and 100% diet using Keto I think it's called, i used the Keto sub reddit for meal ideas.
    Lost 8kg in first week ended up loosing 32kg that months in total another 15kg following month to where I completed my goal then put a little back on when going back to normal eating!!! but lost again since I live on that diet now it's a life style now.

What this diet is in a nut shell is basically reducing your carb intake to 30g Max daily, Your body goes into a state called Ketosis where you loose loads of weight!!, sometimes you stop loosing weight or put a little on so what you do is go out buy load of chocolate and ice cream and all your favourite sweets and I'm not kidding here and eat all that shit in a day which will make your body go into over drive and start back up the process of Ketosis again!!!! Literally the best diet ever. I work out like 3 time a week is that I always get asked how I keep a six pack easy and all that shit but it's not that hard on this diet seriously.

100% faith it would work for almost anyone.

Edit: only down side is you pee like 10+ times a day you literally just can't hold anything in haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Naked Gamer; 10-07-2015 at 05:15 AM.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Naked Gamer For This Useful Post:

Cath (10-07-2015)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    13/0
    Mentioned
    142 times
    Time Online
    37d 14h 40m
    Avg. Time Online
    12m
    MyFitnessPal is a great app to keep track of macros all day. It's pretty annoying to enter everything in but it's really one of the fastest ways to lose weight. You can use the app or another fitness website to enter your current weight, height, etc. and it will give you the amount to eat in order to reach your ideal entered weight in a given time.

Also, I find making a batch of food for one week or so allows you to follow your meal plan easily. Hard to cheat when everything is already prepared! This video by Furious Pete encouraged me to try this, and I do it whenever my parents aren't around to cook for me everyday. (you need an account to see links)

Can't really help with the running part since I don't run. Have problems with losing too much weight .

Motivation wise, one of the greatest things that helped me was to get a training partner. You mentioned that you prefer to do stuff at home, so maybe you can do something with your family/room mate or something. Training partners are great for exercising since you guys can always encourage each other to exercise if one person doesn't feel like it that day. They're also great because you know each others limits and you can always push each other past those limits.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    34/0
    Mentioned
    315 times
    Time Online
    49d 2h 15m
    Avg. Time Online
    16m
    It's all about diet and exercise. If you already eat healthy then focus on the exercise. Do not fall for the vs "we have the only successful workout routine" or "lose 10 lbs a week fast with no effort!". Do what you like which could be going to the gym, maybe staying at home on the treadmill, going for walks in neighbourhood. Whatever is it make sure you like it. Working out is hard to do because it is work. A lot of people give up because it hurts, it makes you exhausted, you feel like you got hit by a truck. That is all true of working out, I will admit I failed at working out because of my absolute hate for those feelings one endures during working out. If you can push through those awful feelings you are well on your way to weight loss.

Keep in mind though that weight lost is not fast and never should be. It will take months if not years to get into that proper habit of diet and exercise. For a healthy weight loss no more than 1-2 lbs a week should happen. At the most. More than that and it is excessive water weight that will come back. Do not get into the mindset of quick fast little effort like what the media portrays. If you can ignore that garbage and go the healthy way then you are again well on your way to success.

Lastly, if you are already at a healthy weight then losing an addition 20 lbs is not a good idea. I know one girl who was 5'6 120 lbs and wanted to be no more than 105. Made no sense. That is unhealthy and unreasonable. You can actually create more health problems if you go down in weight like that. Keep it in reasonable perspective.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    27/0
    Mentioned
    1,190 times
    Time Online
    162d 23h 43m
    Avg. Time Online
    58m
    Thank you so much guys for the advices! @(you need an account to see links) @(you need an account to see links) @(you need an account to see links) @(you need an account to see links) @(you need an account to see links)
    I really like the idea of preparing a few meals during the weekend so I can plan what I'll be eating during the week. Seems to me like it will be easier that way since I won't be tempted to eat something else because I hate wasting food. I'll try that as soon as possible and hopefully it will keep me motivated to do so the following weeks!

Also, I currently weight 143 pounds and I'm only 5'2" so I think there's some work to do. My ideal weight would be ~125 pounds I think. I've gained a lot of weight after high school because of several reasons and I just didn't do anything about it. Now I'm looking back at those pictures of me taken a few years ago and I actually miss my old body.

Mixing exercise AND drastic food change might be too much for me to start at the same time, so I think I'll try to work on the food I'm eating first and maybe run like 1 or 2 times a week to begin. I'm thinking about throwing away the bad food I've at home so I don't feel tempted all the times (cookies and such) even if I don't really eat those often. + I'll definitely take a look at that Keto subforum on reddit and see what it offers!

Also, I'll definitely download one of the app mentioned above to keep track of what I'm eating! Hopefully this will be a good way to keep me on track.
    Last edited by Cath; 10-07-2015 at 01:57 PM.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Cath For This Useful Post:

Naked Gamer (10-07-2015)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    34/0
    Mentioned
    315 times
    Time Online
    49d 2h 15m
    Avg. Time Online
    16m
    Just remember when looking at those past photos that you are not a child anymore you are a woman. You will have hips you will have thighs. That is part of being a woman. Careful that you do not believe that you must have your teenage body again (some women get caught in that fantasy you know?). That of course does not mean you cannot strive to be a healthy weight. Be healthy but be the healthy you want not the exclusive body that a photo may show you.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Sci_Girl For This Useful Post:

cookiemunster (10-07-2015)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    3/0
    Mentioned
    248 times
    Time Online
    58d 6h 40m
    Avg. Time Online
    22m
    For home workouts I really like body weight exercises/HIIT. I don't know why I anyone pays for those video programs because there are tons of great ones on YouTube for free. And they come in all kinds of lengths so it's easy to find ones that fit your schedule.

I also second MyFitnessPal but I don't use it so much for calories as much as I do to see my carbs/proteins/fats breakdown. I love carbs, too. (Ramen *sob*)

As far as "losing weight as fast as possible" and the number of the scale goes... Don't focus around that. TAPE MEASURE. Seriously. It is a MUCH better indicator of progress. Heck, you could stay the same weight for months but still become smaller as your body composition starts to change. Set obtainable goals. Celebrate small victories.

I love Jess

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Roslyn For This Useful Post:

Cath (10-07-2015)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    27/0
    Mentioned
    1,190 times
    Time Online
    162d 23h 43m
    Avg. Time Online
    58m
    Quote Originally Posted by Sci_Girl View Post
    Just remember when looking at those past photos that you are not a child anymore you are a woman. You will have hips you will have thighs. That is part of being a woman. Careful that you do not believe that you must have your teenage body again (some women get caught in that fantasy you know?). That of course does not mean you cannot strive to be a healthy weight. Be healthy but be the healthy you want not the exclusive body that a photo may show you.
    It's not really about having a "teenage body", it's more about being skinnier. There are plenty of women who are skinny and don't appear to have a child's body tbh.

---------- Post added at 02:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:41 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Angie View Post
    For home workouts I really like body weight exercises/HIIT. I don't know why I anyone pays for those video programs because there are tons of great ones on YouTube for free. And they come in all kinds of lengths so it's easy to find ones that fit your schedule.

I also second MyFitnessPal but I don't use it so much for calories as much as I do to see my carbs/proteins/fats breakdown. I love carbs, too. (Ramen *sob*)

As far as "losing weight as fast as possible" and the number of the scale goes... Don't focus around that. TAPE MEASURE. Seriously. It is a MUCH better indicator of progress. Heck, you could stay the same weight for months but still become smaller as your body composition starts to change. Set obtainable goals. Celebrate small victories.
    Ramen are soooo good

But that's a great idea that I hadn't thought about! I'll definitely put my hands on a measuring tape! How often do you think I should measure myself? Like once every two week or like once a month? I have no idea actually. I don't want to do it too often so I don't get depressed about no change at all.