Page 13 of 16 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Do you regularly "shut down" your computer?

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    11/0
    Mentioned
    16 times
    Time Online
    10d 12h 28m
    Avg. Time Online
    4m
    My laptop is usually fully shut down once or twice a week when I notice things aren't running as smoothly. Other than that, I usually leave my laptop in sleep mode. My sister left her tablet turned on for a few months straight, and that little thing ran incredibly slow and froze all the damn time.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    18/0
    Mentioned
    6 times
    Time Online
    1d 13h 36m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    Quote Originally Posted by pokwang View Post
    so I didn't know the answer to this at first. I usually shut down my PC after every use. so I did some googling and I found this:

(you need an account to see links)

it's a good and very informative read...
    if you don't feel like reading to make everything short and cute
    it's not recommended to always turn your pc on and off because it causes wear to the mechanics of the PC and an occasional restart is recommended to ensure integrity of your operation system. it's recommended to leave your pc to sleep when not in use
    Oh dang, for real? I almost always shutdown my PC every day (I think the weekends are the only time I don't). Whenever I leave it sleeping, everything just gets laggier until I restart. Maybe it's 'cause my computer is ancient, but still.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    26/0
    Mentioned
    Never
    Time Online
    23h 43m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    Quote Originally Posted by domedyne View Post
    Oh dang, for real? I almost always shutdown my PC every day (I think the weekends are the only time I don't). Whenever I leave it sleeping, everything just gets laggier until I restart. Maybe it's 'cause my computer is ancient, but still.
    yah maybe it's already slow from being old and outdated?
    the article actually says if you have an old computer , it's more of a reason to not always shut it down because it wears down the mechanical components of the computer.i have been unaware of all of these myself. I shut down my computer after every use. but the explanation actually makes sense

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    18/0
    Mentioned
    6 times
    Time Online
    1d 13h 36m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    yah maybe it's already slow from being old and outdated?
    Hmm yeah, maybe. It could also be the case that it might not be as good if you shutdown and restart very frequently, but maybe once every few days is better. Hard to say without doing rigorous studies for it though.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    26/0
    Mentioned
    Never
    Time Online
    23h 43m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    Quote Originally Posted by domedyne View Post
    Hmm yeah, maybe. It could also be the case that it might not be as good if you shutdown and restart very frequently, but maybe once every few days is better. Hard to say without doing rigorous studies for it though.

the only time articles say it doesn't matter is if you barely use the computer...for example: if you're only going to use the computer for a task and don't plan on using the PC again a couple of days later.
    this is all new to me too.
    when you say old, how old are we talking about tho? and whether or not if you've upgraded any of the components at all

Pronouns
    He/They
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    61/0
    Mentioned
    3 times
    Time Online
    2d 7h 16m
    Avg. Time Online
    1m
    When my computer is not in use, it is turned off, I don't know in reality if this is needed, but I have no reason to keep it on so I make sure everything is off when not in use.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    18/0
    Mentioned
    6 times
    Time Online
    1d 13h 36m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    Yeah, I guess that makes sense. I rarely don't do anything with my computer for a couple days though, so maybe I should start having it sleep more instead of shut down...

when you say old, how old are we talking about tho? and whether or not if you've upgraded any of the components at all
    Mine is about 5 years, though I recently cleaned it up (both hardware and software). No upgrades to the components. It runs better than it did before, but it still lags after waking up from sleep.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    2/0
    Mentioned
    1 time
    Time Online
    10h 50m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    i never shut down my office pc, my pc is on sleep mode when i'm going back home

the only time my pc shut down is when there is no electricity in the office

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    25/0
    Mentioned
    Never
    Time Online
    4d 8h 48m
    Avg. Time Online
    2m
    Quote Originally Posted by master4you2 View Post
    When my computer is not in use, it is turned off, I don't know in reality if this is needed, but I have no reason to keep it on so I make sure everything is off when not in use.
    It used to be that keeping the computer running was better for it (I'm talking maybe 10 years ago, on older tower computers), but it might have changed since then. Judging from the ancient computers in my office and when I played around with them, I think it's worse to keep them on through the night or weekend. They just freeze and die when you come back. Laptops are probably better with power management and could be kept either off or asleep, but don't quote me on that.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    2/0
    Mentioned
    8 times
    Time Online
    8d 11h 22m
    Avg. Time Online
    5m
    My laptop is in sleep mode as I am always studying for uni and it's so much more convenient to just come back to it. I DO prefer to switch things off though to save power. I'm a bit surprised to see it's better for the PC to be left on!