Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Suicide : is it ever justifiable?

Thanks
    DL/UL
    3/0
    Mentioned
    222 times
    Time Online
    N/A
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    I believe it is cowardly. It is someone completely shutting down, and giving up on everything completely. I know things can be hard to deal with, i'm not blind to the things some people may have to go through. But to take your own life is just a cowards way out. I have had those thoughts when I was 15-17. I occasionaly get them still, the urge to do it can get unbearable some days, but I would never do it.

1. I'd regret it. It may feel like it's what you want, but if they had a second chance 90% would probably not redo what they did.
    2. It's worth it to live your life, and fight through your problems.
    3. It's just dumb. Talk to someone, get some help, anything.

But that's just me.

Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    22 times
    Time Online
    1d 14h 22m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    As someone who has suffered from post-traumatic stress disorder and developed severe depression because of it, I can say that when I attempted suicide it definitely felt cowardly. I was seeing multiple counselors, on meds, and doing everything possible, yet it still wasn't helping improve things. The nightmares made it so I literally could not sleep and I ended up being hospitalized. When I was on IV meds that forced me to sleep, yes I'd sleep, but as soon as I was sent home I would go back to not sleeping and throwing up anything I ate. I did not see any way out, my life was absolute hell and I felt as though I was being tortured (sleep deprivation for days on end *is* a method of interrogation torture, albeit an "illegal" method). Anyways, long story short, I attempted suicide, but felt like shit about it the whole time.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    6/0
    Mentioned
    21 times
    Time Online
    4d 14h 30m
    Avg. Time Online
    1m
    Unless you're pulling an Armageddon where somehow your suicide is somehow beneficial to the well being of humans, I'm against it.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    13/2
    Mentioned
    4 times
    Time Online
    3h 50m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    I think that death does not solve the problems. Not believe in something after death. But because you let people here sad and alone.

Thanks
    DL/UL
    53/0
    Mentioned
    39 times
    Time Online
    2d 16h 2m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    imo, suicide isn't "the easy way out". Maybe in some situations like when your options are kill yourself OR spend the rest of your life in jail.., but why would choosing to commit suicide be considered easy? It's not easy to be that sad. It's not easy to just give up on life. Not that I think it's courageous, I just don't think it's "easy".
    Suicide usually takes A lot of thought.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    72/0
    Mentioned
    81 times
    Time Online
    1d 17h 23m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    My opinion is that humans are usually taking the options they find more easy or with the most advantages. Suicide can seems very sweet in face of the horrible pain. When you are in a deep dark tunnel, you can hardly see light.

Some could say blabla wait and see, don't be coward, don't be selfish... But when you consider that you have nothing else to loose and that you are sure that your death wouldn't hurt anyone, why not thinking about suicide?

Would someone's life has been better if he/she would have waited one day, one week, one year? Maybe, but we can't know and always suppose.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    5/0
    Mentioned
    4 times
    Time Online
    5h 54m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    Personally, I think it is the people who choose to disregard the thoughts of the suicidal person that are the true selfish ones.

You want the person to be alive and well because you can't bear the thought of losing them and are more worried about your own feelings and weaknesses rather than respecting their troubles and inner conflicts.
    If you see them being tortured (in my opinion, mental torture is equivalent to physical torture), than how could you not disregard your own perceptions and preconceptions and opinions, and trust that they are coming from a logical place (rather than call them weak, selfish, cowardly,etc..)

I am generalizing, as many people are. I just want to see the feelings I am invoking in those who have placed those negative labels on suicidal people. Because they have invoked negative feelings in me. (Just to put it out there, I have depression, and see myself as a very logical person, not weak at all. And honestly, is it better to be weak/cowardly and smart enough to end your suffering prematurely, or be brave and stupid, and live out your life, suffering or not, and have the same end result. I realize that last sentence is seen as taboo. But just because it is taboo, doesn't mean it's wrong. Who is to say what's right and wrong anyway? Where are the rules to a perfect reality written down? That is, in the end, rich or poor, happy or sad, whether you found the cure for cancer or wasted away doing nothing, we all end up as worm food.)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    20/0
    Mentioned
    13 times
    Time Online
    14h 15m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    Suicide may be a cowardly act but you have to think of those that really have no choice left to live.
    They may be burdened with debts, no loved-ones, and the only viable for them is to end it before it gets worse.
    Of course, I argue that suicide should be wrong as we humans are supposedly to help each other.
    that is the trait that separates us from animals.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    7/0
    Mentioned
    Never
    Time Online
    8m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    Suicide is completely cowardly and utterly selfish. With that being said, it's their lives to live and their lives to take. If you've been suffering from depression most of your life and have taken every possible step to try to create a better mindset for yourself but still there is no end in sight or if you are suffering from an illness or disease that is incurable and it causes your quality of life to be unbearable, I would understand.
    I am in no way condoning the act, but it should be something that one needs to think *very long and very hard* about before even considering it at all.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    30/0
    Mentioned
    343 times
    Time Online
    287d 1h 15m
    Avg. Time Online
    1h 38m
    It's your life, do what you want to do with it to some extents.

However if you have friends/family that will miss you and are willing to help you it could be quite selfish.

If you're terminally ill or have a condition that you know will deteriorate and leave you unable to have the quality of life you want then I'm I think it should again be a legal choice to make.