50/0
    Mentioned
    257 times
    Time Online
    104d 6h 37m
    Avg. Time Online
    38m

Abortion?

There was a topic about abortion about 3 years ago, but it hasn't been active in forever, so I figured I would bring it up again since there have been lots of new people in that time and I guess it can be possible to change your opinion.

I think abortion is completely ethical and should be 100% legal. A majority of abortions are done before 12 weeks of pregnancy with the legal limit being 24 weeks. From a pure biological standpoint, a fetus' nervous system isn't even developed until ~ week 25 which is when it begins to rapidly develop. Prior to week 24, the fetus doesn't even have significant bodily functions that define something as being alive. How is not okay to abort it before this point if it doesn't have enough characteristics to classify it as being alive? To me, that's like saying that you can't cut a sandwich in half because it has pumpkin seeds on it (I know, weird metaphor but it's the general idea). If the woman wants an abortion, let her have it. It's her body, she can decide what she wants to do with it and anyone who is against abortion is just enabling discrimination against women by not letting them have a choice regarding their own body. Discuss.

2. The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to learningtoneopet1 For This Useful Post:

|2eap (04-28-2015),Amparo (09-24-2015),Aska (04-29-2015),Charizard (08-03-2015),Cinnamoroll (10-17-2015),Doll (04-29-2015),Emily (09-09-2015),Forever (04-28-2015),Goten (04-28-2015),Leah (04-28-2015),♥ Munna ♥ (05-01-2015),Poogles (08-19-2015),potatoespotate (06-05-2016),Sakuras (05-03-2015),teddy (09-25-2015),Virus (04-28-2015)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    64/0
    Mentioned
    942 times
    Time Online
    291d 16h 10m
    Avg. Time Online
    1h 55m
    I agree with everything you've said, if a women doesn't feel like she can provide the proper care for her child, or even if she just isn't ready to become a child, that shouldn't be something someone else gets to decide for her. Especially in cases of sexual harassment where the person was forced against their will. A woman's body is her body, and she should have every right to decide what to do with it.
    i love luna

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Aura For This Useful Post:

Cinnamoroll (10-17-2015)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    54/0
    Mentioned
    86 times
    Time Online
    35d 4h 15m
    Avg. Time Online
    12m
    I agree as well. I had an abortion at ~12 weeks, and it was the best thing I could have done. I was in college, living off top ramen, my boyfriend was not ready - threatened to leave, etc. No way I could raise a baby. Plus I was suffering from insane morning sickness where I even brought a plastic bag with me to my finals to throw up in...(that was embarrassing). I could not continue school with a pregnancy like that. I barely made it through finals. I did not even know I was pregnant until 11 weeks because I was passing the morning sickness (which lasts ALL day, the name is such a lie) off as my usually finals flu/cold that I always get. I even had a small amount of blood which apparently was just the egg implanting or something but I thought it was a period so I didn't even think about a possible pregnancy. I am definitely pro-choice, I was a lucky one and Planned Parenthood funded my abortion after I explained to them that I was a poor as fuck college student. The trying to get them to fund me was a bit difficult though and took a while to convince them. (I am completely guilty of telling them I'd just buy the pill off the silk road for 50$ instead of their 400$ if they didn't help me). Shit happens and humans are sexual beings, I am not going to deny that part of myself. I was on birth control and we used a condom and I still got pregnant. Planned Parenthood also gave me a IUD for free and the sweet sweet anti-nausea pill. <3

Also...A lot of people have this weird assumption that an abortion is like a huge event in a woman's life...it really isn't. I really don't feel like it changed me or anything, it was just a medical procedure not some huge life event only thing it made me consider was to donate my eggs since i saw a pamphlet on the bus ride to Planned Parenthood ahah.

I've gone on to donate an egg to a nice gay couple ^_^ Way I see it is I just fulfilled a human purpose of procreating and spreading my genes without having to even take care of the little bugger. Best deal ever.

6. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to katix For This Useful Post:

Amparo (09-24-2015),Aska (04-29-2015),Banannie (10-17-2015),Leah (04-28-2015),♥ Munna ♥ (04-28-2015),Sakuras (05-03-2015),teddy (09-25-2015),Winona (07-15-2015)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    19/0
    Mentioned
    120 times
    Time Online
    21d 35m
    Avg. Time Online
    9m
    I see no reason why someone would be against legalization of abortion. Religion - great, well then don't get one, what right do you have to dictate what is appropriate for others? The other objection comes from peoples farcical notion that fetuses are people and are sentient - plain stupidity. I feel like the people who actually vote on these laws should have proper education in science, the uneducated are given far too much power in policy/decision making. I swear that this world should just be run my scientists

8. The Following User Says Thank You to haiqtpi For This Useful Post:

Jessica (06-08-2015)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    81/0
    Mentioned
    80 times
    Time Online
    15d 23h 3m
    Avg. Time Online
    5m
    Quote Originally Posted by katix View Post
    Also...A lot of people have this weird assumption that an abortion is like a huge event in a woman's life...it really isn't. I really don't feel like it changed me or anything, it was just a medical procedure not some huge life event only thing it made me consider was to donate my eggs since i saw a pamphlet on the bus ride to Planned Parenthood ahah.
    This is so true, I never thought about it that way. But there is a stigma that abortions are this gigantic, life changing thing and it sucks the way people will judge the things you do if you had an abortion or assume it will affect you/haunt you forever!! I felt the same way about mine, I don't really think about it anymore than I think about getting my wisdom teeth pulled. But I still am hesitant to tell other people that I had one, unlike wisdom teeth where I would tell anyone, because of the stigma around it. Even people who support abortion will still sometimes act sympathetic and it's very uncomfortable...it's nothing to be sad about! If anything, it would make more sense for them to be sympathetic if I hadn't had one. I was NOT ready to be a mom, and "dad" was an awful man..

Pronouns
    she/her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    172/0
    Mentioned
    657 times
    Time Online
    182d 5h 28m
    Avg. Time Online
    1h 16m
    I am also pro-choice. I strongly believe that it should be a woman's right to choose if she terminates a pregnancy. Be it for financial, social, emotional or physical reasons, the woman herself is in the best position to judge whether or not she should bring another life into this world.

That said, who I am personally would mean I would only have an abortion if the pregnancy was the result of rape or if it would be of risk to myself or the child; I've always been a maternally minded person, so I just couldn't do it myself otherwise. The movie Revolutionary Road has physically affected me more than any other, and I've seen some messed up, banned shit. When the character
    I became physically ill.

While the woman's rights in the situation are undoubtedly paramount, I do feel sad for men whose partners choose to abort against their wishes. Legally I see why this is, as it is the woman's body that is undergoing the trauma and such, but in this society where men are often disparaged for being the uncaring gender, it can be difficult for them. I had a friend who impreginated a girl accidentally; she didn't want to have the child, but he would have been happy to raise it alone, if given the chance. It's a tough situation for all involved.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mama Bear For This Useful Post:

Jessica (06-08-2015),♥ Munna ♥ (08-19-2015)

Thanks
    DL/UL
    95/0
    Mentioned
    160 times
    Time Online
    33d 21h 47m
    Avg. Time Online
    13m
    I'm pro abortion in a way that I believe it's every women's choice. However I think it's best to do so at/before 8-12weeks. At twelve weeks (10 weeks since conception) the unborn child, now known as a foetus, is 6-8cm long and weighs about 18 grams. Closed eyelids are distinguishable as the face becomes properly formed. Muscles are growing, making limb movements more pronounced. The foetus is now able to squint, swallow and make a fist; the foetus is responsive to touch. The fingers and toes are fully formed and have nails. Internal and external reproductive organs have become definitely male or female.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    81/0
    Mentioned
    80 times
    Time Online
    15d 23h 3m
    Avg. Time Online
    5m
    Quote Originally Posted by bacchus View Post
    I had a friend who impreginated a girl accidentally; she didn't want to have the child, but he would have been happy to raise it alone, if given the chance. It's a tough situation for all involved.
    I understand where you are coming from, but on the flip side I was in a relationship where the guy actually tried to prevent me from getting an abortion because he wanted a kid even though I did not. If there were any sort of laws in place that gave men any rights in the situation of an unwanted pregnancy, I wonder if I would have been so lucky as to have one. And I know my story is not unique.

Even if a man wants to raise it alone, there's still the entirety of the pregnancy to consider (which in my understanding seems long and hellish lmao and is he then going to commit to paying for all the doctors visits? the prenatal vitamins? the special dietary needs?) as well as long lasting health ramifications for the woman after pregnancy. I wonder about the legality of it as well (things like child support). Not to mention the social stigma that people will treat you as "abandoning" or "giving up" your child, I mean just look at the way women who put children up for adoption are treated...

I don't mean to sound unsympathetic, my hackles are prob just up because of my own experiences so I'm biased.
    Last edited by Tapir; 04-28-2015 at 03:05 AM. Reason: removing some personal info

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Tapir For This Useful Post:

Jessica (06-08-2015)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    19/0
    Mentioned
    86 times
    Time Online
    38d 16h 11m
    Avg. Time Online
    16m
    Picturing a potential baby of mine being aborted makes me feel sick TBH
    I wouldn't try forcing the girl into keeping it, but I def wouldn't be happy about the abortion lol

At the end of the day I wouldn't really have a say in her decision though...even though it takes two to tango

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Guy For This Useful Post:

Jessica (06-08-2015)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    75/0
    Mentioned
    822 times
    Time Online
    111d 11h 4m
    Avg. Time Online
    40m
    Needed to read this. Thanks! +1 for bringing it up.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to |2eap For This Useful Post:

learningtoneopet1 (04-28-2015)