41/0
    Mentioned
    1,446 times
    Time Online
    368d 17h 50m
    Avg. Time Online
    2h 6m

So, I'm back at that gym grind.

I signed up for a gym membership again last week, and did the normal tests to see where I was at. They told me I was in alright shape, but I could be in better shape. I haven't gone since I got the membership because I also signed up for a personal trainer. My first day is today with that so fingers crossed. Im planning to go 4 days a week + one day with a trainer.

Supplement-wise, I'm taking a multivitamin for men, Biotin and 6 capsules of green tea extract a day. My buddy who is pretty shredded to take these. Also, I am having one cheat day a week to eat-out and drink heavily now. I've been making meals at home, and eating a lot of vegetables and even a few days in, I feel like I have more energy. I also have shitty Wallmart protein that I am taking after working out until its done, then Ill be looking for something better.

My questions are;

1) Has anyone had a personal trainer? What was your experience like? Did you see results?

2) Supplement-wise, do you recommend something else then what I listed? Open to suggestions or experiences.

3) Point me in the right direction protein/preworkout wise. I am looking to order from bodybuilding.com, but not sure what to get.

@(you need an account to see links) , I bet you have some good information on this xD

Suggestions so far:
    @(you need an account to see links) , Cellucor C4 Extreme (PRE) , Optimum Nutrition 100% Whey Gold Standard (myprotein.com)

**UPDATE: First day with the trainer wasn't so bad. I almost puked after but I liked the overall workout, felt good. Looking forward to the next one.
    Last edited by Bettser; 04-21-2015 at 08:14 PM.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    13/0
    Mentioned
    17 times
    Time Online
    15d 21h 19m
    Avg. Time Online
    6m
    2. Supplements - Other than multivitamins, I take fish oil and creatine
    3. Preworkout - I am taking Cellucor C4 Extreme. I love it so far.
    Protein - I am taking Optimum Nutrition 100% Whey Gold Standard(digest instantly) after my workout. And maybe throw in some casein protein(it digest slower, so its best to take it around bed time) if you are looking to make some gains.

You can usually get cheaper protein on amazon and myprotein.com

3. The Following User Says Thank You to xpecial For This Useful Post:

Bettser (04-21-2015)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    41/0
    Mentioned
    1,446 times
    Time Online
    368d 17h 50m
    Avg. Time Online
    2h 6m
    Quote Originally Posted by xpecial View Post
    2. Supplements - Other than multivitamins, I take fish oil and creatine
    3. Preworkout - I am taking Cellucor C4 Extreme. I love it so far.
    Protein - I am taking Optimum Nutrition 100% Whey Gold Standard(digest instantly) after my workout. And maybe throw in some casein protein(it digest slower, so its best to take it around bed time) if you are looking to make some gains.

You can usually get cheaper protein on amazon and myprotein.com
    What are the benefits of Fish Oil? And Creatine is something I'd definitely look into when I get into a routine.

Saiyan Race
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    23/36
    Mentioned
    3,871 times
    Time Online
    564d 5h 40m
    Avg. Time Online
    3h 13m
    6 years actively working out now, past 4 months I have been bulking (hard for me with a high metabolism) and it's going great. My strength has never been better...

My recommendations -

1) Ditch the personal trainer as soon as you can. Use the internet to find good workout routines (with detailed pics) and follow them.

2) Don't buy supplements. I used to buy protein but I even stopped doing that because it's basically a meal replacement. If you can go home and make a meal it's much better and you save yourself the money. Multi-vitamins and Biotin are okay as they are something you don't get enough of just from eating. I'm taking multi-vitamins almost every day, once a day with lunch. I used to take Biotin. If you find it hard to get food in your system after a workout (when you should be feeding your muscles) then I guess it's okay to be buying protein for that reason.

3) Run before and after your workout. Works wonders. Before: Helps get you pumped and ready. After: Once you're done with the heavy lifting your muscles are filled with lactic acid. Running will help flush it through your system which will help with muscle recovery. That last part is not really proven but I learned about it from being on the Track and Field team when we used to do sprints and heavy lifting.

I'll make a personal gym guide someday, maybe with pics to show before and after results.
    (you need an account to see links)
    (you need an account to see links)(you need an account to see links)

------------------------
    [02/24/2013] Stealth CORE is made into the first standalone Neopets auto-player.
    ------------------------

6. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to j03 For This Useful Post:

baileaf (04-21-2015),Guy (04-22-2015),Lyric (04-21-2015),potatoespotate (05-18-2015),Zeus (04-21-2015),zxzero (04-21-2015)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    41/0
    Mentioned
    1,446 times
    Time Online
    368d 17h 50m
    Avg. Time Online
    2h 6m
    Quote Originally Posted by Infamous Joe View Post
    6 years actively working out now, past 4 months I have been bulking (hard for me with a high metabolism) and it's going great. My strength has never been better...

My recommendations -

1) Ditch the personal trainer as soon as you can. Use the internet to find good workout routines (with detailed pics) and follow them.

2) Don't buy supplements. I used to buy protein but I even stopped doing that because it's basically a meal replacement. If you can go home and make a meal it's much better and you save yourself the money. Multi-vitamins and Biotin are okay as they are something you don't get enough of just from eating. I'm taking multi-vitamins almost every day, once a day with lunch. I used to take Biotin. If you find it hard to get food in your system after a workout (when you should be feeding your muscles) then I guess it's okay to be buying protein for that reason.

3) Run before and after your workout. Works wonders. Before: Helps get you pumped and ready. After: Once you're done with the heavy lifting your muscles are filled with lactic acid. Running will help flush it through your system which will help with muscle recovery. That last part is not really proven but I learned about it from being on the Track and Field team when we used to do sprints and heavy lifting.

I'll make a personal gym guide someday, maybe with pics to show before and after results.

The reason for the trainer is the motivation honestly. I'm not in bad shape so to get myself actually going was a struggle because I didn't feel like I had to. That was the hard part. Now that I paid money for a set amount of sessions, its hard to not get motivated to go since I spent money. That's the only reason I got one xD Plus, learning some new workouts isn't bad for me.

Saiyan Race
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    23/36
    Mentioned
    3,871 times
    Time Online
    564d 5h 40m
    Avg. Time Online
    3h 13m
    Quote Originally Posted by Bettser View Post
    The reason for the trainer is the motivation honestly. I'm not in bad shape so to get myself actually going was a struggle because I didn't feel like I had to. That was the hard part. Now that I paid money for a set amount of sessions, its hard to not get motivated to go since I spent money. That's the only reason I got one xD Plus, learning some new workouts isn't bad for me.
    True enough. I realize some people might not have the time to do their own research either so a personal trainer is definitely helpful.
    (you need an account to see links)
    (you need an account to see links)(you need an account to see links)

------------------------
    [02/24/2013] Stealth CORE is made into the first standalone Neopets auto-player.
    ------------------------

9. The Following User Says Thank You to j03 For This Useful Post:

Bettser (04-21-2015)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    151/1
    Mentioned
    442 times
    Time Online
    122d 5h 2m
    Avg. Time Online
    41m
    hey u, me and @(you need an account to see links) can be #TeamChickenArms.

My response is almost exactly like Joe. How much did you spend on sessions?
    Always hope on a cardio machine (recommended: treadmill or stair thing) for about 5 minutes. What i do atleast.

rest: also give your self 1 day rest, then go back, never take 2 straight days off

also supp wise yes, agreeded, what i take.
    Last edited by 5252; 04-21-2015 at 08:38 PM.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    19/0
    Mentioned
    120 times
    Time Online
    21d 35m
    Avg. Time Online
    9m
    Quote Originally Posted by Infamous Joe View Post
    True enough. I realize some people might not have the time to do their own research either so a personal trainer is definitely helpful.
    That, and also the confidence thing when restarting. I mean I have a 6 pack (not skinny boy 6 pack, hard earned haha), not particularly muscular in chest or arms though, so whenever I return to the gym, despite being "in shape," I always get a trainer for like 5 sessions to rebuild my confidence in the setting after a 3-5 month hiatus every fall/winter

12. The Following User Says Thank You to haiqtpi For This Useful Post:

Bettser (04-21-2015)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    41/0
    Mentioned
    1,446 times
    Time Online
    368d 17h 50m
    Avg. Time Online
    2h 6m
    @(you need an account to see links) , I got a discount and a student discount so they weren't too bad and I got like a bonus 10 or something. Each session is 25 minutes apparently, but the guy I'm with said he doesn't stick to that 25 minutes unless he has someone after me or something. Like today was a hour and a half but counted as one session.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    151/1
    Mentioned
    442 times
    Time Online
    122d 5h 2m
    Avg. Time Online
    41m
    Quote Originally Posted by Bettser View Post
    @(you need an account to see links) , I got a discount and a student discount so they weren't too bad and I got like a bonus 10 or something. Each session is 25 minutes apparently, but the guy I'm with said he doesn't stick to that 25 minutes unless he has someone after me or something. Like today was a hour and a half but counted as one session.
    I don't see how 25 minutes can do anything for you. I spend about 15-20 minutes doing one single workout. :/ true though
    they offer 30 and 55 minute sessions here

i did a 30 min session once and it felt useless. Didn't want to do it but lol