Thread: Getting into morning running, any tips?

Thanks
    DL/UL
    6/0
    Mentioned
    182 times
    Time Online
    97d 3h 43m
    Avg. Time Online
    39m

Getting into morning running, any tips?

I'm planning on joining the Navy and need a run time of 13.30min over 2.4km ~ Easily done tbh

Problem is after work i'm exhausted! so i'm going to try to run in the morning instead

Does anyone have any tips on how to get motivated and tackle the Duvet monster?

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    30/0
    Mentioned
    1,998 times
    Time Online
    437d 21h 7m
    Avg. Time Online
    2h 30m
    That's what, 9 minute mile pace? Definitely very possible.
    I usually run in the afternoon. But I'm only doing classes right now and they are online. So that allows for lots of flexibility in my schedule. A few years back I used to run everyday and I used to do it in the mornings. There isn't really any secret to do it, you've just gotta get up, leave yourself enough time, and do it. You might not feel like getting up a little earlier than you usually do, but once you start, you'll be good. Running in the mornings is favorable, especially since summer time is right around the corner. It's usually a bit cooler and you can get a good workout in and feel good the rest of the day.
    What's my definition of success?
    Creating something no one else can
    Being brave enough to dream big
    Grindin' when you're told to just quit
    Giving more when you got nothin' left

Thanks
    DL/UL
    6/0
    Mentioned
    182 times
    Time Online
    97d 3h 43m
    Avg. Time Online
    39m
    Yeah England is now finally warming up this time of year and the mornings are now bright

Currently im waking at 6:45am but i don't have to be at work till 9am

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    11/0
    Mentioned
    140 times
    Time Online
    31d 23h 18m
    Avg. Time Online
    12m
    This is what I would love to do, but sometimes I go onto work at 4am, 5am, even sometimes 3am.
    dedication is what it takes. Before or after, just do it

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    27/0
    Mentioned
    242 times
    Time Online
    123d 34m
    Avg. Time Online
    50m
    As an avid runner myself (competitive) I simply cannot perform well doing early morning runs. In the summer I usually do a morning run then another more serious run later on, late afternoon/evening when it cools down. It's all a matter of preference, but you need to get out there and run every day. That's how you get better. And you don't get better from doing a workout persay. You get better on your recovery days, where you may not run as hard or as far as the day before. It gives your muscles time to strengthen from the prior days workout.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    8/0
    Mentioned
    292 times
    Time Online
    145d 12h 43m
    Avg. Time Online
    49m
    @(you need an account to see links)

Alright, so girl, I LOVE running! That's what I tell myself to motivate me. haha Just ran 6 miles yesterday... in the rain. It was AWESOME! You can do it! Tell yourself you can, and you will!

So the best advice I can give is run 5 days a week, giving yourself 2 resting days. Try to make them separate days. For example, Run Mon-Wed, Rest Thurs, Run Fri-Sat, Rest Sun. That way your rest days are different, and your body doesn't get exhausted. Try not to do 2 days in a row because then your body begins to rest, and it'll be a shock the next time you run.

Give up coffee, soda/pop, and all caffeinated beverages. Normally people say this to lose weight, but I've actually seen people become better runners from it - and I know personally that when I skip these drinks, I perform better.

Start small! Find a 2-3 mile run and give yourself 25-30 minutes to complete it. Do this for week one, so your body isn't getting a sudden shock. Then the second week, add more miles. If you want to improve your run time, you gotta do sprints. They suck when you do them, but the reward is tremendous, so focus on that when you do them. You can do them on a track, or you can run on a trail and say "I'm going to sprint from this bridge to that tree" then do it, give yourself a rest "I'm going to rest from this tree to that pole," and then "I'm going to sprint from this pole to that tree." Doing this is helpful, and I highly suggest running on trails when you can - It's MUCH better for your knees than concrete.

Also, purchase GOOD running shoes. Good means spending over $100. I usually spend $150 every six months on a new pair of asics. Brooks, Asics, and New Balance are fantastic running shoes. You'll feel the difference between them and cheap Nike/Puma after your first run. I love them so much that I use my old ones as walking shoes. If you do plan to run a lot, change your shoes every six months. Worst thing that can happen to a runner is getting shin splints, which is VERY common if you have poor running shoes!

I have a lot of military friends/family, so I have to say you're lucky joining the Navy. It's probably the easiest physical assessment test because you have more time than other branches. Two minutes of pushups, and the max is 48 or 51 or something like that? EASY! Air Force is 47 pushups in ONE minute! Best way to improve your pushups and situps is simply doing them every day. The Marine Corps encourages people trying to improve their situps scores to do 100 when you wake up and 100 before you go to bed. Honestly, just doing pushups and situps is what increases your ability to do them. Sure, you can weight lift and work out your body in other ways, but nothing compares to just knocking them out. Get used to performing them quickly, and have someone watch your form, or do them in front of a mirror at first. Improper form for pushups = back issues! I know people who have spinal injuries from improper pushup form!

A few other motivations for running include:
    -If you have a dog, take it with you! Put the leash near your running shoes, so your dog becomes accustomed to joining you, and your dog will give you a sad face every time you skip your run. You won't want to skip!
    -If you plan to run in the morning, put your running stuff together before you go to bed and put it somewhere where you'll see or step on it, so you HAVE to do something with it.
    -Make a shelf solely for your running stuff, so it's always all together, and you'll always see it.
    -Put sticky notes around to remind yourself you got to do. Put WHY you're doing it and your end goal.
    -Sometimes I'll wear my running outfit - sports bra, tshirt, shorts, + socks to bed, so when I wake up, I just gotta put my hair in a ponytail, shoes on, and GO! This saves time!

So I probably typed a lot more than I should've, but I've VERY passionate about working out. Running is wonderful and extremely rewarding! You can do it!!! ^___^

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    25/0
    Mentioned
    2 times
    Time Online
    1d 7h N/A
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    If you're looking for entertainment, try zombies run!
    (you need an account to see links)