Thread: [GUIDE]How to keep your computer safe.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    169/0
    Mentioned
    273 times
    Time Online
    56d 5h 29m
    Avg. Time Online
    19m

[GUIDE]How to keep your computer safe.

Welcome to my guide. Today we will be going over some simple ways to protect your computer that I recommend everyone has. Any questions feel free to PM or post here. Any criticism is welcomed.

Also, sorry for the Adf.ly links, but I mean it is only 5 seconds of waiting and it helps give me insentive to make more guides. So keep the support up.

If people complain about it I can add it without Adf.ly links but I don't see why waiting 5 seconds is a huge deal.

Section 1: Firewalls.

We will need a firewall to tell us if there are unwanted connections or downloads being done to us. Sometimes sites you go to will automatically download virus' and such, this will help you.

1. Comodo Firewall. This one in my opinion is the easiest to navigate for beginner and is less anal than other firewalls and therefore gets top place on my list of firewalls. (you need an account to see links)

2. Outpost Firewall. Delivers outstanding protection. This one has its own ups and downs and is a little more paranoid than others are. (you need an account to see links)

3. Zone Alarm. This one is my least favorite of all but offers the most security measures. The others work just as well, but this one is just crazy and will go off if it sees the word hack alone. xD Very good if you don't mind being annoyed a lot. (you need an account to see links)

Section 2: Online Scanners.

Online scanners are becoming more and more popular for means of checking files that you want to download for potentially unwanted virus' and keyloggers. Note: People can make undetectable virus' so the best tool is your mind, if the person has low posts and is offering you something that is very hard to crack be wary.

1. Dr. Web LinkChecker. My favorite of all the online scanners for many reasons. It's the lazy man way of checking if files have virus', no need to open a new window to do so. It is also updated just as often as other sites are and is very easy to download. Works with MANY different web browsers. (you need an account to see links)

2. Virustotal. This one is my next favorite one. It can scan online links for virus' or it can scan downloaded programs to check for them also. Powerful tool and very fast. (you need an account to see links)

3. Jotti. This one is my least favorite. Simply because it only has the feature to scan files from your computer, however, that does not make it any less useful than the other 2. Also this one comes with over 15 different languages, which can be useful for some people. (you need an account to see links)

Section 3: Personal Virus Scanners.

There are literally 100's of virus scanners out there, but which one is the best? Well the answer to that question is ALL OF THEM. There is no best anti-virus most of them update around the same dates with the exact same updates.

1. Avira. Avira has remained on the top of my list for Virus scanners. Its user interface is very simple for beginners, it provides outstanding protection with real-time protection included (most real time protection requires you to pay on other antiviruses.) (you need an account to see links)

2. Avast. Avast to me is a bit annoying, but it has a great and easy to use interface and medium protection. For more features on avast you need to pay also (not sure exactly which services you have to pay for since it has been so long since I have used it. ) (you need an account to see links)

3. Kaperspy. Keperspy offers amazing protection for its simple looks, and is a must for any beginner. It offers system tune ups and more, but I think that may be in the paid version. Overall a good antivirus. (you need an account to see links)

Section 4: Malware / Spyware Protection.

1. Spybot, Search and Destroy. This is hands down the best program to remove these kinds of things. Very simple interface, so you shouldn't get confused. I run this almost everyday and find tons of spyware, combine this with defraging you computer and you will see a difference. (you need an account to see links)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to zxzero For This Useful Post:

Storme (07-07-2012)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    14/0
    Mentioned
    117 times
    Time Online
    64d 22h 59m
    Avg. Time Online
    22m
    Not sure if I'm waay behind 'cause I've never heard of Avira. Currently using Avast (free version) but if Avira is better then I'll consider switching. Would you recommend Avira over Avast?

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    41/0
    Mentioned
    298 times
    Time Online
    21h 25m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    Quote Originally Posted by CloudAcara View Post
    Not sure if I'm waay behind 'cause I've never heard of Avira. Currently using Avast (free version) but if Avira is better then I'll consider switching. Would you recommend Avira over Avast?
    I use avast too and it's been damned good to me so far *runs to touch wood*

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    169/0
    Mentioned
    273 times
    Time Online
    56d 5h 29m
    Avg. Time Online
    19m
    I personally use avira, and I think it is awesome. It has real-time protection, which you need to pay for in avast. Both are equally good tbh and if you scan your computer often (which you should) then both will do just about the same job. I just like avira cause it detects more virus than avast did for me and it offers free real-time protection but i also has an ad once a day to keep it free for all. @(you need an account to see links)