Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: discreet ways to ask for skypes/IM program names/tumblrs?

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    3/0
    Mentioned
    27 times
    Time Online
    13d 7h 34m
    Avg. Time Online
    4m
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheetah View Post
    Am I the only one who thinks it's really embarrassing that we've to resort to things like this to give people our usernames offsite? Are TNT trying to ~protect~ children or something? From what? I mean, it's not like those kids don't see worse stuff on their Facebook and Twitter accounts on a daily basis. It's just stupid.
    It really has to do with TNT's COPPA agreement, they have said it many times in the editorial.

Thanks
    DL/UL
    15/0
    Mentioned
    208 times
    Time Online
    98d 13h 33m
    Avg. Time Online
    38m
    yeah plus like

they really are... trying to protect children...

i met one of the paedophiles who like sexually abused my young ass for about a year on neopets because i gave him offsite info back when it was much simpler and less guarded when it came to giving out shit like msn/aim names i mean paedophiles are always gonna find ways around it but the more frustrating they make it the less theyre gonna wanna try. all he did was ask "whats your msn" and i handed it over and no filters tried to stop me. its frustrating now when youre an innocent party just tryna make conversation with a bud you met on the boards but protecting kids from creeps is a lot more important than you having a convenient way to talk to someone offsite.

edit: i feel like people forget that though neopets is mostly made up of college age users now, it still has a userbase mostly made up of underage children, or teenagers who think theyre mature for their age. just because theres college kids there doesnt mean the rules should be laxed because the kids are still there and vulnerable. its a kids site. theres kids on it.
    Last edited by Mindfang; 03-31-2015 at 03:09 PM.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Mindfang For This Useful Post:

kittyray (04-01-2015)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    4/0
    Mentioned
    55 times
    Time Online
    22d 2h 27m
    Avg. Time Online
    8m
    Yeah... I get that it's annoying when you're an adult trying to contact another adult, but if inconveniencing 1000 adults prevents just 1 child from being abused, it's worth it in my book.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    31/0
    Mentioned
    161 times
    Time Online
    36d 2h 40m
    Avg. Time Online
    12m
    i'm not gonna disagree that protecting children is important but i'm more than old enough and goddammit i just wanna talk about neopets shit with people where i don't have to put a period in words like 'skilled' or 'basement'

there's someone i've been talking to about a new job i'm getting and it'd be nice to talk about that (cause she's excited for me and I'M excited for me) but i always have to triple-check my neomails to make sure i'm not accidentally saying something that might set off a filter it's worse than trying not to offend people on tumblr

update: i randomly capitalized letters in a sentence on a pet's lookup and got it that way. thanks for the tips everyone~
    Last edited by Crowley; 03-31-2015 at 09:22 PM.

blessed by @Clefairy for a prosperous and eggy 2022
    and blessed by @honeycomb with snek on a string crowley ily

Pronouns
    any :)
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    1/0
    Mentioned
    105 times
    Time Online
    21d 20h 15m
    Avg. Time Online
    8m
    Quote Originally Posted by Naoto View Post
    i'm not gonna disagree that protecting children is important but i'm more than old enough and goddammit i just wanna talk about neopets shit with people where i don't have to put a period in words like 'skilled' or 'basement'

there's someone i've been talking to about a new job i'm getting and it'd be nice to talk about that (cause she's excited for me and I'M excited for me) but i always have to triple-check my neomails to make sure i'm not accidentally saying something that might set off a filter it's worse than trying not to offend people on tumblr

update: i randomly capitalized letters in a sentence on a pet's lookup and got it that way. thanks for the tips everyone~
    i totally agree that while it is an inconvenience to people to get skypes and tumblrs on neo it is worth it b/c lets be honest, most of us prolly pretended we were 13 when we weren't as tinies on neo back in the day. i definitely did.

that said, i also agree that the filters are ridiculous. filtered words such as basement and circumstance would only lead my child self to discovering why they were blocked in an effort to delete those words from my message. it is counter productive. especially since the error message on guilds will straight up tell you the segment of the word that was blocked-- neomails and the boards don't, but the post error on guilds is like YOU'RE NOT ALLOWED TO SAY CUM and that really only introduces those words to younger players so idk i think neo needs to have the basics filtered and maybe some basic work-arounds but not shit like skilled, circumstance, basement, etc. hell you can't even post the image for the let it snow avatar b/c it thinks you're trying to say le tits now

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Q*bert For This Useful Post:

♥ Crowley ♥ (03-31-2015),Mindfang (04-01-2015),Sakuras (04-02-2015)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    31/0
    Mentioned
    161 times
    Time Online
    36d 2h 40m
    Avg. Time Online
    12m
    Quote Originally Posted by qbert View Post
    (...)it is counter productive. especially since the error message on guilds will straight up tell you the segment of the word that was blocked-- neomails and the boards don't, but the post error on guilds is like YOU'RE NOT ALLOWED TO SAY CUM and that really only introduces those words to younger players so idk i think neo needs to have the basics filtered and maybe some basic work-arounds but not shit like skilled, circumstance, basement, etc. hell you can't even post the image for the let it snow avatar b/c it thinks you're trying to say le tits now
    yeah??? yeah! kids are exactly like that. 'why is this a bad word' next thing you know they're going to find a thousand entries on urban dictionary and then everyone's screwed.

exactly tho

filter words basically like 'if it has a space on either side of it, it's probably bad'

le tits now is the funniest fucking thing to me though. holy shit.

also just gonna casually point out that there's gambling, lottery, dark plots and other things not suitable for children on neopets as a whole but you know as long as dem kids aren't talkin on tumblr and skype who cares
    Last edited by Crowley; 03-31-2015 at 11:26 PM.

blessed by @Clefairy for a prosperous and eggy 2022
    and blessed by @honeycomb with snek on a string crowley ily

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Crowley For This Useful Post:

Q*bert (04-01-2015)

Pronouns
    she/elle/o/ол
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    8/0
    Mentioned
    85 times
    Time Online
    27d 8h 4m
    Avg. Time Online
    11m
    Quote Originally Posted by Naoto View Post
    le tits now is the funniest fucking thing to me though. holy shit.
    (you need an account to see links)

Le tits, now. Always how I imagined it.

11. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Winona For This Useful Post:

boardwalks (04-27-2015),♥ Crowley ♥ (04-01-2015),Sakuras (04-02-2015),teddy (04-02-2015)