Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: need opinions for school: what do you think about donating to charities?

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    2/0
    Mentioned
    52 times
    Time Online
    9d 20h 6m
    Avg. Time Online
    3m

need opinions for school: what do you think about donating to charities?

for my final school project i want to go big and figure out something for some kind of charity advertisement wise. but to advertise and start with something i need opinions, and many different ones.

do you donate? how do you think about donations? are they good or bad? what bugs you when you see advertisement to do with donations and charities? honestly do you have anything you want to share about donations? are there any adverts that made you feel better and want to donate? any ads that really annoy you? i just want a general opinion on this so no need to answer all!

right now my main focus is how people are against the high wages of the people in charge of charities or that they don't want to donate cause it's too much work, or that they're forced to keep donating every month... or people who simply don't know or want to know about things like child labor being real and how i need to reach everyone. i also want to make it a social thing, but first i need basic info like this

so thanks if you can help me!

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    4/0
    Mentioned
    13 times
    Time Online
    8d 10h 44m
    Avg. Time Online
    3m
    For my senior year in high school, my friends and I started a club called "Gamers for Charity" within the school. We hosted two Smash Bros Brawl tournaments during that year, and even though I've moved out of state, the school and some of my friends who went to college in state are still running the program. And it has seriously been so much fun!
    Try to have an event that raises money for a charity, and maybe even a local one that people in your community can really get behind. We raised money for the food bank as well as the charity our school fundraises for every year. But we were also considering donating to underfunded elementary and middle schools to improve art and music programs!
    Do something that you care about and would have a lot of fun with and as long as you don't force donations down the throat of your community, people should be more than willing to help if they're able

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    53/0
    Mentioned
    72 times
    Time Online
    32d 21h 47m
    Avg. Time Online
    13m

just a thought....

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    4/0
    Mentioned
    13 times
    Time Online
    8d 10h 44m
    Avg. Time Online
    3m
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkhorse View Post

just a thought....
    This is why I think it's most important to pick a charity you care about and know about, like something local that does its honest best to benefit the community instead of benefit its pockets. It might not seem like its helping as much as donating to the big name companies, but if you're worried about corruption, your charity might just be used more wisely by smaller groups.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Ghirahim For This Useful Post:

cibomatto (09-21-2014)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    2/0
    Mentioned
    52 times
    Time Online
    9d 20h 6m
    Avg. Time Online
    3m
    thanks, sorry i forgot the whole thread

not all charities are bad and obviously i want to do something to help other than gaining some rich ppl more money

Thanks
    DL/UL
    44/1
    Mentioned
    562 times
    Time Online
    118d 6h 45m
    Avg. Time Online
    40m
    I know a woman who works for British Heart foundation and they get alot of �� out the donations. (She is a manager). The higher up management are on �80k a year. Same with Cancer research , the staff are volunteers but the store manager is getting paid a fat wage and extra for hitting bonuses. That stupid ice bucket challenge fad people only donates 7% of donations too research.

I would find a local Registered charity ( a small one like a dog shelter, horse rescue or something) and support them. As long as they have a registered charity number they have to keep logs of all there out goings. I do sponsor a lady via help the aged though. But I researched them first! I also donate to the Salvation army as I know several Friends who have had food parcels off them (they send u food packages if u fall on hard times , one of my friends had one close to easter and they even sent his kids eggs).

Tldr: Unless I can see the positive impact they have , I do not bother. I am not paying for someone elses tax dodge scam .
    Last edited by DarkByte; 09-24-2014 at 05:09 AM.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    24/0
    Mentioned
    11 times
    Time Online
    2d 6h 24m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    I usually donate a lot of clothes,and some food to charities on my city,but I never donate money,money always go right to the wrong people pockets

Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    85 times
    Time Online
    15d 6h 5m
    Avg. Time Online
    5m

This ad gets me wanting to donate.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    2/0
    Mentioned
    52 times
    Time Online
    9d 20h 6m
    Avg. Time Online
    3m
    thanks guys, i got that a lot of people prefer not to spend money but prefer sending other things, i think i should really go with that

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    7/0
    Mentioned
    6 times
    Time Online
    15h 26m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    Quote Originally Posted by firehawk View Post
    for my final school project i want to go big and figure out something for some kind of charity advertisement wise. but to advertise and start with something i need opinions, and many different ones.

do you donate? how do you think about donations? are they good or bad? what bugs you when you see advertisement to do with donations and charities? honestly do you have anything you want to share about donations? are there any adverts that made you feel better and want to donate? any ads that really annoy you? i just want a general opinion on this so no need to answer all!

right now my main focus is how people are against the high wages of the people in charge of charities or that they don't want to donate cause it's too much work, or that they're forced to keep donating every month... or people who simply don't know or want to know about things like child labor being real and how i need to reach everyone. i also want to make it a social thing, but first i need basic info like this

so thanks if you can help me!
    You have to do your research and find out what your donations are going towards. Most charities only take a small percentage and put that towards the charity. I personally prefer local charities, homeless kids, food donations, walks, etc. The American Foundation for Suicide Prevention is by far my favorite charity to work with. It is a cause that needs a lot of work due to the social stigma against mental illness and the facts are undeniably disturbing. I can't stand advertisements that play off of our basic human emotions. Reach us with facts not tears; it's more respectable in my opinion. Also, causes that don't require financial donations to help out are good. If they ask you to help spread the word if you can't afford to donate shows me that they are in it to help not just take your money.

(you need an account to see links)
    Last edited by ohealno; 11-05-2014 at 04:41 PM.